YT Decoy thread part 2

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
The problem I am having is actually to put the rubber back in place as the hole seems to be too small
I was able to get most of them in by twisting them. It wasnt ez and i developed no real technique other than a bit of patience. Of course they all cMe back out. A couple i couldnt get in. Ill attack it with renewed vigor now that the gorilla tape/zip tie secure fix is a thing.
In other news, its cool that theres that additiinal hole that i guess is for the light. Ive got a light set up but thatd be ultra clean to just use the bike battery

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
The problem I am having is actually to put the rubber back in place as the hole seems to be too small
I was able to get most of them in by twisting them. It wasnt ez and i developed no real technique other than a bit of patience. Of course they all cMe back out. A couple i couldnt get in. Ill attack it with renewed vigor now that the gorilla tape/zip tie secure fix is a thing.
In other news, its cool that theres that additiinal hole that i guess is for the light. Ive got a light set up but thatd be ultra clean to just use the bike battery
This is going to be really interesting with winter coming in the noryh. There's so many good cheap lights available, I'm really curious to see what hacks people come up with!

Have you tried using a bit of lube on the cable grommets? That definitely helps them slip in, but also work their way out

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
My decoy has done an odd thing a few times recently. It cuts the power momentarily and beeps three times. No error code on display and power resumes after I stop pedalling for a moment. It's weird. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
This is going to be really interesting with winter coming in the noryh. There's so many good cheap lights available, I'm really curious to see what hacks people come up with!

Have you tried using a bit of lube on the cable grommets? That definitely helps them slip in, but also work their way out
Thats a good idea. Light coat of vasoline would be a good seal and not break down the rubber, or so ive heard ?

jbetker

Aug 30, 2019
Boulder, CO
My decoy has done an odd thing a few times recently. It cuts the power momentarily and beeps three times. No error code on display and power resumes after I stop pedalling for a moment. It's weird. Does anyone know what might be causing this?
Mine does this too, it briefly shows "W011" when it does. I'm planning on taking it in to a Shimano shop in the near future..

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands

Grommets are anoying as hell. They do everything except stay in. It works if you tirep them. Would be good if you could secure them on the inside, but place is very difficult to reach.

Had to replace my seatpost outercable and it is a challenge to get it in near the headset and bottombracket. Actually the bend near the bottom bracket into the seatpost tube is about 90 degrees. I used a PVC pipe (small) to catch the outer cable and guide it up. other way around and you get to tread the needle trough the hole near the headset. :)

Ole_Kristian

Oct 2, 2019
Norway

I have the same problem with mine, and its coming straight out of the Box. Do you ride in a muddy/wet environment? I have only been riding in Muddy trails since i got it.
I am suspecting either loose Connections somewhere, Muddy speed sensor or wet Surface between battery contacts.
It was condens/water inside the frame where the battery sits.

jbetker

Aug 30, 2019
Boulder, CO
I dont think it has anything to do with water. I have only ridden my Decoy in Colorado during this last summer and it has been bone dry on the trails and I still see this issue. I had assumed it was just a "Shimano thing".

The steps motor is a gigantic disappointment. I get errors every other ride. Granted they are always resettable by power cycling the bike, but it's really disappointing that Shimano can't figure out how to do something as simple as an electric motor right. No other e-bike I've ridden has shown these issues.

mitch1808

Jun 30, 2019
italy
I dont think it has anything to do with water. I have only ridden my Decoy in Colorado during this last summer and it has been bone dry on the trails and I still see this issue. I had assumed it was just a "Shimano thing".

The steps motor is a gigantic disappointment. I get errors every other ride. Granted they are always resettable by power cycling the bike, but it's really disappointing that Shimano can't figure out how to do something as simple as an electric motor right. No other e-bike I've ridden has shown these issues.
I had the same, then after software update as well.as replacement of speed sensors and cable.everything is now smooth

jbetker

Aug 30, 2019
Boulder, CO
I'm planning on taking it to a Shimano dealer to see if I can convince them to replace my speed sensor as soon as I can find the time.. I'll certainly report back if that fixes my issues.

Ole_Kristian

Oct 2, 2019
Norway
I'm planning on taking it to a Shimano dealer to see if I can convince them to replace my speed sensor as soon as I can find the time.. I'll certainly report back if that fixes my issues.

Great. Let us know how it turns out With the sensor. I Wonder how "old" the software/motor is on a 1 month old bike...

I am not convinced yet. But emtb gets me longer per trip. I really like the feel of the accelaration on the Shimano steps. Great Power curve. But that doesnt Count all that much if it shuts down for 10 minutes every ride (i`ve only been on three). If only SRAM could produce a motor...
Like the build and love the design. But not the part on the svingarm link where you see the oversized aluminium Surface. And not the super short headtube. Looks improviced. Shit service from YT. Been waiting 14 days for an e-mail answer now. I hear that its a big difference in service over the Atlantic. Its even possible to order a New hanger there! thats not possible from Germany.

mitch1808

Jun 30, 2019
italy
Great. Let us know how it turns out With the sensor. I Wonder how "old" the software/motor is on a 1 month old bike...

I am not convinced yet. But emtb gets me longer per trip. I really like the feel of the accelaration on the Shimano steps. Great Power curve. But that doesnt Count all that much if it shuts down for 10 minutes every ride (i`ve only been on three). If only SRAM could produce a motor...
Like the build and love the design. But not the part on the svingarm link where you see the oversized aluminium Surface. And not the super short headtube. Looks improviced. Shit service from YT. Been waiting 14 days for an e-mail answer now. I hear that its a big difference in service over the Atlantic. Its even possible to order a New hanger there! thats not possible from Germany.
I read you can order the Jeffsy hanger and it will fit.
Parts

Ole_Kristian

Oct 2, 2019
Norway
Thought it was just when converting to Sram Eagle? The length and offset is for sure different on the hangers. But i havent tried, so it will be guesswork from my side.

Frazzer

Sep 6, 2019
Londonish
For the grommets wait till winter, hoping the rubber will shrink just enough in the cold to go in nicely.

To fit new fork seals (another bike) which were far too tight and impossible to get it, I put them in the freezer first, worked a treat

roQer

Jun 29, 2019
Ludwigshafen am Rhein
New color scheme for the next year? Looks good!

IMG_0058.JPG

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
My only real complaint with the decoy so far is the low BB height, even with the flip chip in the high setting. My pedals are getting mashed and caused one low speed crash in a rock garden where it caught me off guard/off balance.

Im seeing what you mean now. Been nailing my pedals a few times now. I guess on the jump trails it wasnt an issue and on boulder its pedaling up the fsr and no pedaling on the downs. More pedaling on some slick rootty rocky trails recently and getting used to the power band climbing. Working the pedals more than an acoustic bike. I bent my crank or pedal laat night. Hows the high posution working for you? I put a 170 air shaft in my fork but that only raises the pedals a couple mm. 180 triple clamp would be sweet i think

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Fitted a 170mm airshaft to my Yari today, did a lowers service at the same time! Kept the air pressure the same, which keeps ride height about the same but much more compliance in the first 30% or so of travel, lush :D

I did this too. Nice on the steeper stuff now as well with it a touch higher on the front. Im tempted to go 180 now. This yari isnt showing the flex that my 2017 lyric had at 180. Im not dmsure if theyve stiffened the fork or its the difference between 170 and 180. Literally no change in flex between 160 and 170 on thus yari so it leads me to believe the new crown and lowers are stiffer than in 2017

Camstyn

Jun 19, 2019
Kamloops BC
Im seeing what you mean now. Been nailing my pedals a few times now. I guess on the jump trails it wasnt an issue and on boulder its pedaling up the fsr and no pedaling on the downs. More pedaling on some slick rootty rocky trails recently and getting used to the power band climbing. Working the pedals more than an acoustic bike. I bent my crank or pedal laat night. Hows the high posution working for you? I put a 170 air shaft in my fork but that only raises the pedals a couple mm. 180 triple clamp would be sweet i think

I’ve only run it in the high position, as it’s plenty slack for a trail bike. I get enough pedal strikes that I’m not even interested in trying low mode. My composite pedals are beat to hell and the cranks are pretty bruised up already after less than 200 miles.

I am getting less strikes than I was at first as I’m being more cautious of them.

image.jpg

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I’ve only run it in the high position, as it’s plenty slack for a trail bike. I get enough pedal strikes that I’m not even interested in trying low mode. My composite pedals are beat to hell and the cranks are pretty bruised up already after less than 200 miles.

I am getting less strikes than I was at first as I’m being more cautious of them.

View attachment 19709
Ya ive got chesters(composite/plastic) so not a big deal. Still sucks, theyre new. I hope its the pedal and not the crank arm. Ill put my other pedals on tomorrow to check. May have to try the higher setting and 180

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA

X4 wanting to know which 155mm cranks. 15mm would go a long way to curbing pedal strikes.

I've run flip chip in high and low and really prefer the way the low setting feels, high makes my reach feel longish.

Decoy is definitely the most pedal striking bike I've ever owned

mitch1808

Jun 30, 2019
italy
X4 wanting to know which 155mm cranks. 15mm would go a long way to curbing pedal strikes.

I've run flip chip in high and low and really prefer the way the low setting feels, high makes my reach feel longish.

Decoy is definitely the most pedal striking bike I've ever owned
Yes pedal strike is quite annoying with the decoy. I was riding the Cannondale moterra we this weekend and it's incredible how just 1cm of BB height makes a difference.

Still prefer the decoy as a bike.

Ps. The new Bosch cx motor is not as noisy as they say afterall

IMG_20191006_111134_450.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles