YT Decoy thread part 2

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I don't think static standover is very relevant on a modern MTB. The main thing is to have a short enough seat tube to allow the saddle to drop. I never get on or off over the top tube and when riding never get anywhere near it. It seems like having the same problem as having the saddle low enough to be able to reach the floor while seated ...
Bikes have both seattube length and stsndover listed for a reason

Pabs

Jul 27, 2019
London
I seem to keep getting it dirty
20191106_152111.jpg

So what do I think? This is the base, so my opinion is specific to this model. Been for a few rides now, charged the battery a couple of times getting close to triple digits. Keeps getting muddy :)

Slowly setting it up, not finalised air pressures just yet but seem to be around 90psi in the fork and roughly 200 in the shock for an 80kg/175lbs rider. I was expecting to find the Yari a weak link but so far am pleasantly surprised, maybe not pushed it hard enough yet. same goes for the shock, I have the select + version on my MTB and had to have the meg neg can fitted to get it working right, this lower spec one seems to be a lot closer to the mark out the box for someone my weight at least.

Its hard to put into words, but I find it jumps calmly, if you know what I mean. I've set it up tubeless, which was a doddle, The DT Rims come taped, just add valves (included) and sealant, nice and easy. I also swapped the rear tyre for a 2.5 DHF as I found the 2.8 quite drifty at slower than expected speeds on the soft mushy terrain I have to play with around here at the moment. Not had any traction issues from doing so, and the pedal strike problem doesn't seem unmanageable even with it left in low currently. I've literally had 1 or 2 so far. That said I have installed very low profile pedals and have come from a bike with an even lower bb/longer cranks, so maybe have my shit dialled :LOL: I'd still consider flipping to high if riding terrain and noticed a problem.
20191106_140245.jpg

This is an XL. I've rolled my bars about to find a happy spot. At 6'2/188cm I could have gone for a XXL too, but I think I've made the right choice as I see this as a bit of a workhorse that will take over lighter duties from my old hardtail as well as shuttling DH runs and pretty much everything else in between. I've also shifted the mode switch away from the grips a bit as I had a few unintended mode changes on rougher ground. The ODI grips I quite like, I will change them out at some point, but I've no rush too and they don't feel awful by any stretch. The SRAM brakes are a little squishy and screamy, I will swap those out once I have scared myself sufficiently with them :D 11 speed SLX is a non subject, it just works, no cassette issues here. The Dropper seems to be dropping, so no complaints either. I really wanted to like the seat, I think it looks good, It felt OK on shorter rides but longer ones have shown it to be a bit too firm and the material used on the sides are a magnet for mud. I've an Ergon currently on my other bike I'm still evaluating, I'll fit that next as I do find you are sat a little more on Eeebs. If all else fails I revert back to a trusty Charge Spoon. I'm also not sure the cable/frame gromets have been installed correctly, does anyone have a picture of how these should sit?
20191104_193621.jpg
YT even give you a set of lights with your bike! OK, they ain't up to much for serious off road riding, but still a nice touch.

Overall I'm pretty dam happy. I like how the bike is riding at the moment. I bought the base expecting to have to upgrade the lower spec suspension and I'm pleasantly surprised that I wont need to....at least straight away, just a bit of fine tuning should keep me happy for a while. I've fallen off twice so far, one time me and the bike fell into a small river both got fully submerged for a short moment, the bike carried on working perfectly for the remaining 7 miles home and has carried on working for a few more rides since. So yeah happy with the reliability so far.

So short term all the things I want to change would be to fit another saddle, some better brakes, swap to some carbon bars and get a maxx grip compound tyre for the front, then ride some more ;)

Hopefully this gives an insight into the base model (y)

Last edited:

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Good to hear you are happy with your bike. Me and my wife are also happy with the base model, although I have swapped the fork damper for a RC 2.1. It's super smooth and supportive now. Also replaced the bar with carbon renthal with more rise. Back tire is now a Michelin E-wild 2.8, wich is much more durable than the EXO from Maxxis.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Anyone ever get an error (er01) ? Or know what error that is? May be my charge port was contaminated. I forgot to put the cap on for the first bit of my ride

Ozone08

Sep 17, 2019
Cheshire
im buzzing with mine, I changed the brakes FYI the cable ports do not like braided hoses it took some force to get them through. Swapped out the DPX2 for the X2 and STunlocker combined with a 38T chainring = fun times ;)o_O

Duelsy

Oct 22, 2019
England
Just finished another ride. Did 7 miles of trails in just over an hour. Weather has been awful here for a few weeks so they’re not in great shape but the Decoy smashed it again. :)

526DDD1D-18BE-4918-A679-796554F0986E.jpeg
BFCC8037-CB83-451A-9BB1-F4C7564E1F85.jpeg

roQer

Jun 29, 2019
Ludwigshafen am Rhein
So short term all the things I want to change would be to fit another saddle, some better brakes, swap to some carbon bars and get a maxx grip compound tyre for the front, then ride some more ;)

Hopefully this gives an insight into the base model (y)

Swapping just the brake levers to Code RSC is a significant improvement. Put a 220 mm disc on front as well and you want need other brakes.
As already said, changing the damper to RC2 Charger 2.1 in the Yari is also a very recommendable upgrade.

Pabs

Jul 27, 2019
London
Yeah a Charger damper may well end up being on the cards down the line. Cheers for the brake tip, I'll look into that. Kind of been imagining the bike with some Hopes on there, but if its cheaper it might well be worth trying out.

Did a bit more fine tuning before today's ride. I shortened my dropper and shifter cables, swapped out the seat and threw in some Hope jockey wheels I had laying around. I also pulled the chain guide bolts to check for loctite and there was actually some in there. Sadly it had been injected too far into the threaded part of the motor casing to make contact with the threads of the bolts when inserted fully. Seems to be a assembly mishap. No bother, added some to the bolts and all was well ;)

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
I am loving my Decoy. I have found YT’s support to be adequate. None of the bike brands are great in my experience.

I just ran into a problem with the e7000 display unit. After charging the battery since my last ride, the display will not turn on. When charging the battery the display turns on as usual. When I unplug the charger the the display will not turn on and therefore can not ride the bike, unless I want to pedal a 50 pond bike uphill with no assist. Has anyone had this problem or can offer any advice?

Ozone08

Sep 17, 2019
Cheshire
I am loving my Decoy. I have found YT’s support to be adequate. None of the bike brands are great in my experience.

I just ran into a problem with the e7000 display unit. After charging the battery since my last ride, the display will not turn on. When charging the battery the display turns on as usual. When I unplug the charger the the display will not turn on and therefore can not ride the bike, unless I want to pedal a 50 pond bike uphill with no assist. Has anyone had this problem or can offer any advice?
have you tried unplugging the 2 wires on the back of the display and plugging them back in?

Pabs

Jul 27, 2019
London
So still being muddy round here I needed to take action and fitted some mudguards to stop this happening as much
20191124_152933.jpg

Mudhugger Shorty on the front and a generic job trimmed for chain clearance on the rear
decoydec19.jpg
20191209_135048.jpg

Much improved (y)

Swapped out the white DHF maxx terra for yellow maxx grip and fitted One Up carbon bars
bars.jpg

Grip, comfort and response level increase: Check ;)

Changing over the grips I noticed they are not as streamlined as some with the separate bar ends, so I'll prob swap them out for something slimmer at the bar end to negate the change from a 780mm to 800 bar. Still hopefully slip between the same tree gaps as before :)

I also went to add a spacer to the Yari and found that its already at its max with 4 in there from the YT factory. Useful to know....so added 5psi instead :p

There we are all ready for the next ride! I've a Code RSC lever on its way to test with too so hopefully should see some braking improvements next up.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Here's another pic, if you have access to a vinyl cutter you cut the sticker and very carefully apply (use outdoor cast vinyl like Oracle 951 or 751). PM me your email and I'll send you the file. There was a guy who asked me for the file, then proceeded to sell them on Facebook, I can't remember his name though but should be sending me kickbacks ;)

1578336936586.png

Last edited:

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
Here is a bigger question. How does one reproduce the entire sticker set on the Decoy. I have a Lava Red and not 100% sold on it. Wouldn't it be cool if we could change the color or the frame to say a Mint Green, or Gold, heck Whatever you want, but it will require a vinyl cutter. I'm thinking it would be fun. I may even just want to go to the standard blackout.

Questions?

Does anyone have the entire layout for the Decoy?
Does anyone then have the Decoy logos to cover the base color once changed?

I'm really not in the sticker business buy my sign guy from my business can probably get this done. It's cool to have options.

Finally.... You do deserve royalties for giving the file for the battery kit. Shame on that guy!!

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Decoy and YT logos contained in PDF user manual can be opened in vector format using Adobe Illustrator, then converted to vinyl graphics. As to the frame color, I think that is under clear coat if I'm not mistaken so you could only in theory cover. No idea where you'd get the whole frame in a file, doubt YT would give it to you.

I know a guy that wrapped his Levo in chrome vinyl and it looks awesome.
IMG_0125.jpg

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
That looks simply awesome! You are correct, the color is under a clear coat, so you will need to technically wrap the frame, then product the Yt graphic as described from the manual. A closing final step will be to possibly invisiframe the entire bike to protect the newly chosen color and have a nice gloss. Here is the wire one can use to place a new wrap on the frame..

Ozone08

Sep 17, 2019
Cheshire
Here's another pic, if you have access to a vinyl cutter you cut the sticker and very carefully apply (use outdoor cast vinyl like Oracle 951 or 751). PM me your email and I'll send you the file. There was a guy who asked me for the file, then proceeded to sell them on Facebook, I can't remember his name though but should be sending me kickbacks ;)

View attachment 24093
Is this the guy? If not they are for sale here I might treat myself ?
YT Decoy Battery Decal

Last edited:

Mxsled

Dec 16, 2019
Canada

View attachment 24093
I bought mine there(i think it's the same guy that ask you for the file.)
YT Decoy Battery Decal

Are both rims 30 mil inner?
Yeah 30mm inner 35mm outer

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles