YT Decoy strange noise (no, not the known shimano noise ;-) )

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Yes tried that. They told me that YT US support team usually does since distances makes it more expensive to ship bikes.

I'm based in EU so they insisted I shipped the bike back. Also, all Shimano service centers around here are closed anyways because of lockdown so I figured to send it back and test the process.
Gotcha. Well hopefully they can get you up and running quickly.

Apr 18, 2020
germany
They still.have the bike. They will.give me an update by the end of the week. Only some.people have this noise tho. Not everybody.

Hard to say but in this german form a guy went to a shop and all shimano-bikes produced the noise:

https://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/index.php?posts/1206256/bookmark

The thing is that you won't get this noise when you ride mellow trails. It only get's noticeable if you ride fast over rough trails with continous compressions or as when you provoce it like shown in the videos. But keep us updated when you get your bike back if it has dissapeared. The guy mentions also that in the beginning its not as loud as after a few miles.

redrhino

Mar 24, 2020
california
Hard to say but in this german form a guy went to a shop and all shimano-bikes produced the noise:

https://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/index.php?posts/1206256/bookmark

The thing is that you won't get this noise when you ride mellow trails. It only get's noticeable if you ride fast over rough trails with continous compressions or as when you provoce it like shown in the videos. But keep us updated when you get your bike back if it has dissapeared. The guy mentions also that in the beginning its not as loud as after a few miles.

I've been noticing a rattle and thought maybe a cable was rattling in the frame, but it seems it is this same thing with the drivetrain rattling. I'm surprised I can't find more people complaining online about it if it happens with every shimano ebike. It is really quite annoying over rough trails.

Weak

Feb 26, 2020
Sweden
Ciao!
I have same problem ?
Could anybody that had the same problem say if this procedure is resolutive forever or need to be repeated somehow?
What is official position of YT? Do they change this part on warranty?
Thank you!

Ive had the same problem, did do what the text said and it fixed the problem for a while. Then the noise was back again.

Mailed e13 and told them. So new axel etc is on the way. I refuse to regrease my hub every 5 rides.

So e13 said we gonna solve this problem 100%.
I trust them!

Carlo

Jul 25, 2019
Italy
Ive had the same problem, did do what the text said and it fixed the problem for a while. Then the noise was back again.

Mailed e13 and told them. So new axel etc is on the way. I refuse to regrease my hub every 5 rides.

So e13 said we gonna solve this problem 100%.
I trust them!
Thank you very useful!! Let's hope to solve the issue.... ?
I'll try too...

Weak

Feb 26, 2020
Sweden
Thank you very useful!! Let's hope to solve the issue.... ?
I'll try too...

Its easy, just remove the back wheel. Then take a wrench and something suitable to hold the cog-side axel och unscrew and pull it out and smear it with lube.

I will keep you guys updated if new axel works better.

Carlo

Jul 25, 2019
Italy
Its easy, just remove the back wheel. Then take a wrench and something suitable to hold the cog-side axel och unscrew and pull it out and smear it with lube.

I will keep you guys updated if new axel works better.
Ciao Weak,
Any news about the new axel? I asked a new one as well, arrived yesterday.. I tried to mount it today but was probably 6-8 mm longer respect the old one... for sure not correct!! ?
Didi you solve instead?

Weak

Feb 26, 2020
Sweden
Ciao Weak,
Any news about the new axel? I asked a new one as well, arrived yesterday.. I tried to mount it today but was probably 6-8 mm longer respect the old one... for sure not correct!! ?
Didi you solve instead?

First i got a new freehub after 5 days. And i dont think thats a problem. I asked for axel++
Replayed and told them.. "Hey! where is my axel and bricks and spacer etc.?"
5 days later axel appears without spacers and bricks.
Told them, no more hassels please. Send a new complete rim.
5 days later i got a hole new rim, sent old and all other stuff back to e13 germany.

Got nothing but good to say for the support.
Even tho missunderstanding happend 3 times.

E13 are sure as hell going to make sure you are happy, and thats all that mathers to me.
That they atleast try/ do their best.

E13 support is to trust! Yaay for them!

No problems with new rim/hub/axel so far!

Will buy more stuff from e13. When they show this kind of support!

/Weak

Carlo

Jul 25, 2019
Italy
First i got a new freehub after 5 days. And i dont think thats a problem. I asked for axel++
Replayed and told them.. "Hey! where is my axel and bricks and spacer etc.?"
5 days later axel appears without spacers and bricks.
Told them, no more hassels please. Send a new complete rim.
5 days later i got a hole new rim, sent old and all other stuff back to e13 germany.

Got nothing but good to say for the support.
Even tho missunderstanding happend 3 times.

E13 are sure as hell going to make sure you are happy, and thats all that mathers to me.
That they atleast try/ do their best.

E13 support is to trust! Yaay for them!

No problems with new rim/hub/axel so far!

Will buy more stuff from e13. When they show this kind of support!

/Weak
Good to know, thank you!
But they sent to you a complete wheel?
For sure they reply fast and seam to be professional. Just don't like this waste of time but for sure it's a pleasure to have a company that reply and try to solve the problem. Very good, thank you very much and have fantastic rides!!!!

Weak

Feb 26, 2020
Sweden
Good to know, thank you!
But they sent to you a complete wheel?
For sure they reply fast and seam to be professional. Just don't like this waste of time but for sure it's a pleasure to have a company that reply and try to solve the problem. Very good, thank you very much and have fantastic rides!!!!

Yes, they sent me a complete wheel, without tire, and brake disc ofc. New and shiny, hopefully a good one!

Everyone can make errors and so on.. But far from all companys are so eager to get things right.

E13 service is more then good so far, and that makes me very pleased and not afraid to buy e13 stuff.. ;)

mitch1808

Jun 30, 2019
italy
let us know what the out come is if u don’t mind as it can help others
Took a while but my decoy came back last week.
REPORT:
- nothing found on the shimano motor. No replacement or anything.

As a gesture of goodwill they did service al of my pivot bearings as a result the creaking sound I had when climbing disappeared.
They also changed/improved the connector of the battery with a new improved one they said.

Went for a ride on the weekend, and man I missed this bike so much!

Apr 18, 2020
germany
Yeah the noise just seems to be a design feature of the freehub tech inside the motor just like its the case with the current gen Bosch. Just weird that some people report they don't hear the noise but to be fair it can only be heard under certain circumstances and in some frame designs it might be better.

Just been to check mine for u an mine is totally silent mate

redrhino

Mar 24, 2020
california
I've been noticing a rattle and thought maybe a cable was rattling in the frame, but it seems it is this same thing with the drivetrain rattling. I'm surprised I can't find more people complaining online about it if it happens with every shimano ebike. It is really quite annoying over rough trails.

Mine actually turned out to be the cable that runs to the battery connector hitting the frame over rough stuff (up near the head tube). I shoved a magic eraser sponge in there between the cable and the downtube and things are silent now!

Yorkshirelad

Oct 11, 2019
Robin hoods bay
Hey Fatbap, thx for your reply. Can you tell me what measure your shim has? If you speak to YT, it also would be very interesting, what statement they have to this failure.
Did you ever get to the bottom of this problem? I am getting an identical sound, seems to be coming from the rear hub, going to strip and rebuild it later on and see if it solves the issue.

Crash

Sep 19, 2019
Austin, TX
Wow! thanks for telling me all that stuff, what can be a reason for cracking noises. So, i have to check some more parts. For that i have to order some tools that i dont own. I also wrote a mail to YT support and explained my problem and thoughts of the e13 cassette.

What i can say about the noise production, is the same:
- allmost only when i ride uphill
- when it starts, it dosen't matter how much i weighting the pedals, or which gear i am riding, or whichs support mode is active
- i can't force the bike in other positions to make that sound

I will try to figure out the most stuff you listed.
I very apericate your help!
If it is any consolation, I had the same knocking noise with my 2019 Decoy CF Pro Race. After removing the rear cassette to give it a thorough clean and regrease, the knocking noise stopped.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles