YT Decoy strange noise (no, not the known shimano noise ;-) )

Sand0kan

Dec 12, 2019
Netherlands
I had a similar noise and took the wheel off, removed cassette, and took the axle out off the hub, cleaned and regreased everything and also greased the end caps up as seen on other forums e13 recommend doing the end caps (so far) everything running smoothly....

btw what grease did you use?

Stewface

Jan 21, 2018
Sussex by the Sea
The noise you have is exactly the same as I had, I removed the wheel, took the higher 10 gears of cassette off, took off the freewheel off to remove the outer axle, where there is a spacer with a washer in each side(The washers are different thicknesses apparently, so put them back in the same places) I added a photo of them below.
A small amount of grease in the mating surfaces of these, Popped it all back together, added a smear of grease around the thru-axle and the noise has disappeared.
0488B315-F76C-4E8E-BF2E-99BB96373F71.jpeg

Weak

Feb 26, 2020
Sweden
@Stewface is it hard for a newbie to get into that hub?

Im kinda new to ebikes and hubs etc. But i also have this sound. And its annoying. Took 5 rides and the sound came..

I must remove the cogs?

Thanks!

Stewface

Jan 21, 2018
Sussex by the Sea
@Stewface is it hard for a newbie to get into that hub?

Im kinda new to ebikes and hubs etc. But i also have this sound. And its annoying. Took 5 rides and the sound came..

I must remove the cogs?

Thanks!
It’s not hard but not easy......
I followed a link on the e13 website. I’ll try and find the link for you, but I’m just a bit busy at the mo.

Weak

Feb 26, 2020
Sweden
It’s not hard but not easy......
I followed a link on the e13 website. I’ll try and find the link for you, but I’m just a bit busy at the mo.

Thanks! I will wait, or see if i can find that one myself. That sound is killing all the fun in a yt ;)

Weak

Feb 26, 2020
Sweden
I did get most of the annyoing sound away.
Now my bike seems to creak when i apply alot or pressure uphill. Lets say i put on boost and 2nd gear.

Sounds like the creaking comes from the rear of the bike. Atleast its not my pedals or crankarms...

Any clues?

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
I would look at the hub first based on those videos earlier in this thread but I doubt the cassette is the problem. Also look at this thread that I posted because after about 3-4 weeks of owning my decoy I got a sound I isolated to pivot axles that only needed grease, the sounds I had would mostly happen climbing or under more heavy pedaling force. See the diagram I posted to know the exact place my problem came from, easy fix.

Knocking sound from within the Decoy frame - EMTB Forums
I followed the hint for the pivot axle earlyer in your post...cleaned and greased everything perfect. The noise is still there...
But when i did that, i recognized another frustrating fact.
Maybe this could also be the reason!?
In my opinion, there is heavy friction/rub off on the connection from main triangle to rear triangle, in the area of the main pivot axle. I could imagine, that the sound comes from that friction...CF on CF, on heavy load (force from weigh, motor)!?
The following pics can not discribe perfectly how it looks. In reality it is worse.
The paint on the rear trinangle is gone and the CF is rubbed.

Decoy Hinterbau - Google Drive

Whats your thougts?
I didn't have this on any bike before and in this short ammount of time.

Hi mate I had exactly the same fault as u.
IMG_2996.jpg

IMG_2993.jpg

I made a shim an put it in after the rubber seal on the drive side. There is not enough clearance or the bearings have moved through/in the frame causing the problem. I have not yet spoke to yt

Jk 123

Jun 24, 2019
Scotland
Hey folks. I need your help/expirience please. I can't figure out, where those anoying, cracking noise is coming from (i can also feel it a bit through the pedals). I own the bike for about 5 weeks now and have 900 km on it. It starts 2 weeks ago on a trip in the swiss alps. I uploaded two video files, where you can hear it. The noise comes mostly , but not allways, when i'm riding uphill (very rarely in flat terrain). I checked every bolt and screw and tightened with right torque. The chain still looks (measured with a chain gauge) good enough. Maybe it's nevertheless the chain!? In the worst case it could be the Shimano Motor or the CF rear frame!? It's my first e-bike, but not my first CF bike. I never had similar noises on any bike.

Any ideas what else i missed to check? :unsure:

After paddeling backwards, the noise sometimes is gone
https://drive.google.com/open?id=11mH14AAMcP3kKa-k4LoiMLqaqOSCBAc9

The noise is still there after turning the engine off
https://drive.google.com/open?id=11nBMZGyETJbGexf-W0doHmJm2ZFq5_yv
Hi there I had the same problem it turned out to be my e thirteen rear wheel hub which I got replaced under warranty hope this helps the only reason I found out was to swap the wheel out from my mates decoy

elvis_mtb

Jul 12, 2019
Germany
Hi mate I had exactly the same fault as u. View attachment 28064
View attachment 28065

I made a shim an put it in after the rubber seal on the drive side. There is not enough clearance or the bearings have moved through/in the frame causing the problem. I have not yet spoke to yt

Hey Fatbap, thx for your reply. Can you tell me what measure your shim has? If you speak to YT, it also would be very interesting, what statement they have to this failure.

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
View attachment 28065

Hey Fatbap, thx for your reply. Can you tell me what measure your shim has? If you speak to YT, it also would be very interesting, what statement they have to this failure.

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
View attachment 28065

Hi mate the shim I made was only about 1mm I will speak to yt to see what they have to say an will report back

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
Update
I have spoken to yt regarding the issue with my frame an triangle rubbing I explained that I have made a shim/washer to adjust the clearance an this was the reply I had

Moritz (YT Industries)
Apr 28, 15:33 CEST

Hello Peter,

thank you for your feedback!
It can sometimes be necessary to use those little washers/shims, to adjust to tolerances in the frame. We would have done the same in our workshop, to solve the issue.
As all frames are handmade, this can always be necessary.
It's good to hear that you managed to resolve the issue by yourself, already.
As everything is running smoothly now, we suggest leaving everything as it is.
There is no need to send the bike back to us.

So the verdict is that if this happens to u, u will either have to send the bike back for them to add a shim or do it urself. I will be replying asking them is it possible to make the shim available so I others have this issue it can be sent to them rather than sending the bike back

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
Another update I have asked yt about my warranty as I have repaired the bike my self an also if the shims are available this is their reply

Apr 29, 11:38 CEST

Hello Peter,

you don't have to worry about the warranty. This will not affect it.
We do have those washers in our workshop. Normally this is not something our customers do themselves, so it is sufficient to have them in our workshop.
But they would be available, if necessary.

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
Good on you for solving the issue .. YT should at least send you some SWAG for your work (y)

Any chance is sharing your "shim specs" … I can easily get some made (hope to never need them)

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
Yeah it’s a relief for me that I don’t have to send the bike back. Would be good to get something off them but did not think I would lol. I’ll have to remove it an I’ll measure it properly mate an come back to u if that’s ok.

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
Yeah it’s a relief for me that I don’t have to send the bike back. Would be good to get something off them but did not think I would lol. I’ll have to remove it an I’ll measure it properly mate an come back to u if that’s ok.

No worries on time .. I don't need one but know a machinist who can make one easily.

So keep it together and go "send it" (y):cool:

Carlo

Jul 25, 2019
Italy
The noise you have is exactly the same as I had, I removed the wheel, took the higher 10 gears of cassette off, took off the freewheel off to remove the outer axle, where there is a spacer with a washer in each side(The washers are different thicknesses apparently, so put them back in the same places) I added a photo of them below.
A small amount of grease in the mating surfaces of these, Popped it all back together, added a smear of grease around the thru-axle and the noise has disappeared.
View attachment 24812
Ciao!
I have same problem ?
Could anybody that had the same problem say if this procedure is resolutive forever or need to be repeated somehow?
What is official position of YT? Do they change this part on warranty?
Thank you!

Apr 18, 2020
germany
Does any of you guys have the same sound coming from the motor even when turned off?

See video for reference https://photos.app.goo.gl/Wx84ScQiSszQrZ9a9

Thanks. Already arrange to ship back to YT. Wanted ti make sure it was not NORMAL

Just been to check mine for u an mine is totally silent mate

Did the noise dissappear after you got the bike back? I heard that this noise is normal and comes from the freehub inside the motor but it's really annoying on bumpy trails. To reproduce it you have to push the bike forward while rocking the crank back and forth a little.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=clMwb3VBeVdLWl9zcllJakVrQTJydE9MNkprSi1B

mitch1808

Jun 30, 2019
italy
Did the noise dissappear after you got the bike back? I heard that this noise is normal and comes from the freehub inside the motor but it's really annoying on bumpy trails. To reproduce it you have to push the bike forward while rocking the crank back and forth a little.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=clMwb3VBeVdLWl9zcllJakVrQTJydE9MNkprSi1B
They still.have the bike. They will.give me an update by the end of the week. Only some.people have this noise tho. Not everybody.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
They still.have the bike. They will.give me an update by the end of the week. Only some.people have this noise tho. Not everybody.
My friend has this same clunking noise in the motor. He emailed YT and they sent him a new motor while he continued to ride on the faulty one. He did a motor swap and he never had any down time on his bike and now has a brand new motor.

A well written email will go a long ways in getting what you want.

mitch1808

Jun 30, 2019
italy
My friend has this same clunking noise in the motor. He emailed YT and they sent him a new motor while he continued to ride on the faulty one. He did a motor swap and he never had any down time on his bike and now has a brand new motor.

A well written email will go a long ways in getting what you want.
Yes tried that. They told me that YT US support team usually does since distances makes it more expensive to ship bikes.

I'm based in EU so they insisted I shipped the bike back. Also, all Shimano service centers around here are closed anyways because of lockdown so I figured to send it back and test the process.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles