YT Decoy Paint Scratch Issues?

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Trying to decide whether to invest the $300-400 and wrap by new Decoy Elite once its available from YT.

Looking for input from Decoy owners paint scratches. Watched a few videos with comments from owners on how easily the Decoy Pro gets scratches on its paint. Realize mtb's are meant to be ridden and scratches, nicks and dings are rights of passage.

Like to switch out by bikes after about 2 years and would like to retain some resale value. Also maki g about a $1,000 in upgrades and want to have it still look nice.

Appreciate any input YT Decoy owners can offer.

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
Google "ride wrap" and they make custom wraps for all models of bikes.

There are others as well. Also you can buy 3M Paint Protection film in large rolls off Amazon (been wrapping bikes for 10 years using this stuff) .. you'll have to cut it however.

** strange as this sounds .. I also recommended using paper and make "templates" of your rim. Cut sheets of 3M plastic using the templates and apply around the entire rim (similar to the shape of rim decals) ... this will protect your rims against rock damage and scratches.

.. also do the cranks (about 6 layers) to prevent shoe rub.

I do this to all my bikes .. and upon resale peel the plastic away and they look brand new. The additional resale value will offset the price of the plastic wrap. Its a relatively small price to pay.

My advice would be to buy BOTH (used both on my decoy). Use the pre-cut templates and double up on the high wear areas using the 3M plastic film. Also seal the entire perimeter of the battery/ frame interface to keep water out of this area.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Google "ride wrap" and they make custom wraps for all models of bikes.

There are others as well. Also you can buy 3M Paint Protection film in large rolls off Amazon (been wrapping bikes for 10 years using this stuff) .. you'll have to cut it however.

** strange as this sounds .. I also recommended using paper and make "templates" of your rim. Cut sheets of 3M plastic using the templates and apply around the entire rim (similar to the shape of rim decals) ... this will protect your rims against rock damage and scratches.

.. also do the cranks (about 6 layers) to prevent shoe rub.

I do this to all my bikes .. and upon resale peel the plastic away and they look brand new. The additional resale value will offset the price of the plastic wrap. Its a relatively small price to pay.

My advice would be to buy BOTH (used both on my decoy). Use the pre-cut templates and double up on the high wear areas using the 3M plastic film. Also seal the entire perimeter of the battery/ frame interface to keep water out of this area.
Thanks for the feedback! Appreciate you sharing.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles