YT Decoy looping the shimano steps logo (Wont start)

Jken14

Jan 28, 2020
NORWAY
My decoy is looping the Shimano steps logo and wont start, after maybe an hour i get it running and goes out for i ride, but the next days the same problem occur

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have seen this happen when a software update on the steps system hasn't been fully completed - have you recently done a software update?

Aside from that worth checking all the cables are correctly fitted and the battery mount is holding the battery tightly/correclty

Jken14

Jan 28, 2020
NORWAY
I did do a software update some weeks back in time but checked the etube app and all seems fine there

Have checked all cabeles and cleaned them
But it seems to not do it

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Had this problem over the weekend, I believe it's gone now.

I removed the battery and cleaned all terminals and refitted and problem didn't go away. Checked connections at display. Each time the logo was looping was able to reset by connecting charger or removing battery for a few minutes but problem would come back.

Realized later that while I had been servicing fork, bike on floor upright but without fork that the defective waterbottle I recently received from YT was leaking water above motor...so I wanted to drop the motor and check connections for moisture...realized that I need a shimano tool to remove chain ring to access all motor mounts (on order now), so I ran a fan on the motor area overnight and my problem has stopped for at least 2 rides now.

1582732772858.png

After some searching I found threads with pictures of the connections to motor, apparently the sensor connections not very well sealed. My theory is my issue related to moisture at connections at motor. Had some intermittent E010/E020 errors during all of this as well.

I'm not saying this could be your problem but thought worth recounting the story for you and anyone else.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Here's a look on the inside, found this under Vitus but is same motor as ours. It's the small connectors that are rumored to not be so well sealed or can let in dust (look same as connectors on display, probably are). Main power harness apparently very well sealed. Once I get in the tool I need I am planning to pull those small ones, clean and possibly use dielectric grease to keep stuff out.

1582740270546.png

Astom22

Jan 11, 2020
Celina, TX
Here's a look on the inside, found this under Vitus but is same motor as ours. It's the small connectors that are rumored to not be so well sealed or can let in dust (look same as connectors on display, probably are). Main power harness apparently very well sealed. Once I get in the tool I need I am planning to pull those small ones, clean and possibly use dielectric grease to keep stuff out.

View attachment 26621
Keep us posted, might be worth some preventative maintenance.

Subzilla

Jan 13, 2020
NW UK
Had similar issues, I put a heater near mine over night and blew with a hair dryer, applied dialectic grease to connections. Disconnected the controller cable and plugged back in. Apparently the system can hold fault codes and this needs resetting ??Fingers crossed its been ok since.

lamomie

Jul 3, 2019
France
the shimano tool is not necessary, you just have to unscrew the 4 fixing screws of the plate to access the fixing screws of the motor behind the plate.
yes it is the di2 connector on the photo

MTB_MIKE

Dec 20, 2019
Southern California, USA
Had this problem after washing the bike.
I took out the battery and blew dry the battery terminal sections and let it sit with the battery out overnight and the next day it worked. Been careful with washing it ever since and the problem hasnt come back (3months so far)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles