Yt decoy light

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Curious on both those. Nice to leave the camelback home occasionally and fall is here so been thinking about expanding my light set up

Mauko

Jul 16, 2019
Finland
I rode with a Lupine rep last weekend and there's already a light out for Shimano motors. The bad is it's only 700 lumens. You buy a cable that runs inside the frame and hooks up at a motor output he said.

SL S Shimano E-Bike Light

There is a more powerful SL SF version as well which claims 1100 lumens.

As Decoy has the light cable already installed to the motor with free end showing when removing the battery, it seems that installing a fixed light should be breeze... What I’m worried still about is the amount of light compared eg to my old Betty.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Any more rumours on a front light for the Decoy from YT?
I talked to them recently in cali. No word on flip lock bottle or light. They havent seen any stock yet.They did say theres probably a shimano light that could be attached now. The wire is inside on the frame apparently or maybe the shimano one just plugs into one of the display ports

Mauko

Jul 16, 2019
Finland
I like the Lupine SL SF... No issues and enough light for me. Need a helmet light for trickier sections still eg to see drops.
IMG_20191022_203256.jpg

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Cool, I see you got the vinyl on the battery cover too! How's that light affecting battery capacity? 2000 lumens right?

The Lupine guy I met seemed to think it was powered by energy produced by motor and NOT the battery but I've not been able to corroborate that...sounded like shifty salesman talk.

Mauko

Jul 16, 2019
Finland
Cool, I see you got the vinyl on the battery cover too! How's that light affecting battery capacity? 2000 lumens right?

The Lupine guy I met seemed to think it was powered by energy produced by motor and NOT the battery but I've not been able to corroborate that...sounded like shifty salesman talk.

Yep, lets see how long those white decals stay on.

I don`t know how much the light decreases the range, since I haven’t got too much experience with jt yet. Surely some but it is still cool as it is so simple. No extra battery and permanent install. I believe the lumens are just above 1000 but the fact it is road legal the light beam is well designed and does not try to light the sky so less is enough.

Technically the guy is correct as the wires connect to the motor. But the juice does come from the battery after all

Hol47

Sep 28, 2019
Uk
Can you show me a picture of the cable that you connect the light to? It's already at the top of the downtube right?

Mauko

Jul 16, 2019
Finland
Can you show me a picture of the cable that you connect the light to? It's already at the top of the downtube right?

It is there already with a free end. I ended up soldering the Lupine cable with the one that came with YT since the other end of the YT cable seemed to be under the frame...

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Yep, lets see how long those white decals stay on.

I don`t know how much the light decreases the range, since I haven’t got too much experience with jt yet. Surely some but it is still cool as it is so simple. No extra battery and permanent install. I believe the lumens are just above 1000 but the fact it is road legal the light beam is well designed and does not try to light the sky so less is enough.

Technically the guy is correct as the wires connect to the motor. But the juice does come from the battery after all

It is nice to have it integrated, always there when you need it and not batteries to haul. From what I've seen high output like 3000+ lumens is not yet possible due to low system voltage, but I'll bet it won't be long until someone figures out how to juke a LED to high output on low voltage.

Vinyl should be super durable as long as it was a cast outdoor variety. The ones designed for vehicles should last years and years if you don't pick at them or hit them with strong chemicals.

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
Can anybody confirm if that once the Lupine integrated light is installed, does it become a permanent fixture on the bike?

In other words, can you easily "clip and unclip" the light as required and only mount for night riding?

Not a big fan of having a light permanently fixed to the front … want to be able to remove it when not in use (without pulling the battery, etc.)

Thanks (y)

Mauko

Jul 16, 2019
Finland
The light is meant to be permanent. The mechanical attachments are screwed to the handlebar and so is the light to the attachments. Electrical connection is basically permanent but obviously you can install a plug for it. Finally the remote is installed pretty much permanently on the handlebar.

Ozone08

Sep 17, 2019
Cheshire
YT has it for sale now see link below. It is a Lupine SL SF price £239 and the description reads as followed:

In contrast to other StVZO-approved lamps, the SL SF throws a wide beam of light directly in front of your wheel, and it does so almost all by itself. Stereo sensors scan the ambient light conditions and automatically switch from daytime running lights to an anti-dazzle, 900 lumens dipped beam when required. And of course, the 1100 lumens high beam is available at the push of a button when you really need to light things up.
The Lupine SL SF fits all DECOYs, is powered by the main bike battery and is super easy to install. The required cable has already been pre-routed in every DECOY. Once installed, the lamp sits securely on the handlebars so that you always have it available for those longer rides.

Lupine SL SF Shimano

Duelsy

Oct 22, 2019
England
Looks like a nice piece of kit that integrates well with the bike, doesn’t look out of place. May well have a look into it after watching some reviews, I like the idea of it running off the main battery.

Ozone08

Sep 17, 2019
Cheshire
Been running the light this week and it’s ok definitely not the brightest but I like the way it works and it’s great and not dazzling on-comers. The only thing I don’t like is the light comes on automatically when you turn on the bike, maybe there’s a way to stop that? Anyway the pics below are the 3 levels.
5A7A1250-FD21-4D16-8AA9-53CC4BA09710.jpeg
8A969FFF-1B24-4ABE-B3A8-24109B2C06BD.jpeg
E61A55BF-DD39-4E96-A7DD-3F6ECAB2A385.jpeg
23CAA644-F6CF-430F-AA45-2DE25EFABE28.jpeg

mikecol

Mar 16, 2019
Treasure Island, FL USA
Got my light and installed today. Order 1st day in US. Didn't have a spare YT grommet for wire so just made 3 layers of shrink tube. Bar mount is on left of stem and have Garmin 830 next to that.
Must enable light in app and also then also on 7000 display....then light will come on.
Bit expensive, but fits and works great. Perfect for my needs.

Ozone08

Sep 17, 2019
Cheshire
Got my light and installed today. Order 1st day in US. Didn't have a spare YT grommet for wire so just made 3 layers of shrink tube. Bar mount is on left of stem and have Garmin 830 next to that.
Must enable light in app and also then also on 7000 display....then light will come on.
Bit expensive, but fits and works great. Perfect for my needs.
i just cut the blank grommet that was removed to make way for the wire and it worked fine

9748simonb

Oct 28, 2019
Uk
My Lezyne Macro drive 1000 landed today. £57 posted, 1000 lumens and a really nice stem mount came with it. I’ll be wiring it in tomorrow using small jap motorbike bullet connectors so I can take it off easily in the summer.
ill be testing it out on weds night peeps, I’ll keep you posted.

Hol47

Sep 28, 2019
Uk
My Lezyne Macro drive 1000 landed today. £57 posted, 1000 lumens and a really nice stem mount came with it. I’ll be wiring it in tomorrow using small jap motorbike bullet connectors so I can take it off easily in the summer.
ill be testing it out on weds night peeps, I’ll keep you posted.
Where from mate? How does it fare on dark trails

Last edited:

nativeracer

Aug 24, 2019
California
I looked at the YT light and while its nice that it can be integrated. I don’t like the idea that it becomes permanently attached to your bike. Along with the pro and con of it using the battery. At least for me and my riding buddies. We only use the lights for a few months during the winter. I prefer to use a Lezyne 1000i for the helmet and an Lezyne 1800i for the bars. You can also use a GoPro mount for the helmet which makes the mount a little lower. Or just get the 1800i for the bars and don’t worry about a helmet light. Just remember that you’ll have blind spots in the turns and other occasions because the handlebar light doesn't light the trail where you are looking with your head. Cost for both lights will be cheaper then the YT light and they can be easily attached and removed from both the bike and helmet.

Hol47

Sep 28, 2019
Uk
Has anyone figured out a way to make the light removable? Is there some sort of connection clip that can be used?

akuria

Patreon
Jan 30, 2020
san francisco
Has anyone figured out a way to make the light removable? Is there some sort of connection clip that can be used?

If you are savy enough it can easily be done. I have toyed with the idea of doing it myself. If I do I will post pics of how I did it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles