YT Decoy first ride review: A brilliant ebike with outstanding performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Now you have me wondering if I have done the wrong thing going for a XL Decoy as the numbers looked nearest to my large Wreckoning ?

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
Hard to say if the XL Decoy is less ideal for you than the L. But the L Decoy is very similar to the L Wreckoning, basically just the steeper sta and corresponding shorter TTL and longer CS are the only small differences. Going from a L wreck to XL decoy is sizing up.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Hard to say if the XL Decoy is less ideal for you than the L. But the L Decoy is very similar to the L Wreckoning, basically just the steeper sta and corresponding shorter TTL and longer CS are the only small differences. Going from a L wreck to XL decoy is sizing up.
I spent ages looking at the sizes of the two. In the end I went on the height recommendation as it was showing 6’1” was XL.
Just sent YT an email to find out if my order would be delayed if I change to a large as like you say the numbers are more comparable. ??

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
Any members with an order for a Decoy due in May heard anything?
Decoy CF Base was due in from about the 4th ?

Q

Q-Ball

Yes - I'm sure all of us with orders in for any build level would like to know of any shipment notifications from YT any any country. I'm supposed to have a Med Pro model shipped to CA but missed the first wave so I'm willing to live vicariously through others until early June. I'm somewhat thankful that I have to travel next week to take my mind off of it for a bit! ;-)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I'm somewhat envious and slightly in awe of all you early adopters who ordered without a testride. I'm hoping to get a demo on a Decoy this weekend.

Q

Q-Ball

Well I've had a ride on my friends Focus Jam2 and it's the same motor. Fit wise will be interesting as the Decoy falls between my Yeti SB4.5 and Jeffsy (2018)29er and handling should be snappier than my gen3 Nomad was. The rest is adaptation which I'm used to as I have the upper body build for someone 5'8" or so but my legs don't know that at a 28.5" inseam ... I do have a set of 10mm rise bars waiting to help with the high stack height though.

I guess we wait and see if I was good at estimating or it's a colossal $hit show.

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
I actually think the stack is kinda low, especially if you’re not sizing up to a trendy long bike. I bought a 35 mm riser bar for mine.

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It’s the FoD Demo weekend, has anyone tested one today?
I’m going tomorrow. And Sunday if necessary...

StuR

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
It’s the FoD Demo weekend, has anyone tested one today?
I’m going tomorrow. And Sunday if necessary...
Yep . Stunning looking bike
Really liked it
Time was a bit limited. You get an hour but more like 45 mins by the time they set it up.
Which is a proper pro service BTW
First impressions - Shimano motor not as powerful as my Levo19
Settings for assistance wernt to my liking but this could be tweakable .
Not sure about that though
Suspension was plush
I really would like more time on one to give a proper opinion
Don't get me wrong it's a beaut but I prefer my Levo

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Really liked it
Time was a bit limited. You get an hour but more like 45 mins by the time they set it up.
Suspension was plush

After owning a Focus Jam2 with the Shimano motor and now after selling the Jam I have a 2019 Levo and for me the Brose motor is so much nicer than the Shimano in every way, although the Shimano was a nice motor but once I had ridden that Brose it was a clear winner but the YT is a superb looking bike and I am sure it will be fantastic.

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
Test ride at FoD today
20190517_164617.jpg

20190517_164343.jpg

20190517_164357.jpg

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
Queues for demo were a bit mental today .
Going to be crazy busy over the wkend .
Went at 10.30 thinking it would be quieter on a school day
About 30 in the queue . Went back about 3pm . Nine peeps in front of me . Waited about an hr
Make sure you bring ID . Drivers license or passport

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
Quizzed them about service concerns.
Said local Shimano service centres will be able to sort any motor/ electronic issues.
Also all standard issues like fork ,shock , bearings etc can be sorted locally
Parts and labour all foc
If it does have to go back to Germany for some reason than its about a month turn around inc shipping time
700w battery is in development but probably be end of yr before it's available.
Also it's dimensions will be bigger and protrude below downtube

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Quizzed them about service concerns.
Said local Shimano service centres will be able to sort any motor/ electronic issues.
Also all standard issues like fork ,shock , bearings etc can be sorted locally
Parts and labour all foc
If it does have to go back to Germany for some reason than its about a month turn around inc shipping time
700w battery is in development but probably be end of yr before it's available.
Also it's dimensions will be bigger and protrude below downtube

Not sure how they provide labour FOC for standard issues? Never had anything major on my YT but they’ve only ever sent replacement parts, which has never been a problem for me.

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
Not sure how they provide labour FOC for standard issues? Never had anything major on my YT but they’ve only ever sent replacement parts, which has never been a problem for me.
You may be right but that's what I was told.
Reality may be different though ?

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
Really liked it
Suspension was plush

After owning a Focus Jam2 with the Shimano motor and now after selling the Jam I have a 2019 Levo and for me the Brose motor is so much nicer than the Shimano in every way, although the Shimano was a nice motor but once I had ridden that Brose it was a clear winner but the YT is a superb looking bike and I am sure it will be fantastic.

After riding an e8000 equipped bike, and now being married, working two job and getting fat, the Shimano equipped bike is for me so much nicer in every way

I guess no one is trying to claim the e8000 is the best motor, just better value vs a new levo? Trade offs I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles