YT Decoy first ride review: A brilliant ebike with outstanding performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

OlaGB

Subscriber
Mar 19, 2019
Norway
By the sound of the huge rock hitting my lower frame yesterday, i am glad i was on a aluminium frame (with a frame protector made in carbon, that got deep battle scars).
Carbon sure is lightweight, but thats pretty much all it got against alu.

I dont like all brands going carbon, even Merida is going there now according to rumors.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
By the sound of the huge rock hitting my lower frame yesterday, i am glad i was on a aluminium frame (with a frame protector made in carbon, that got deep battle scars).
Carbon sure is lightweight, but thats pretty much all it got against alu.

I dont like all brands going carbon, even Merida is going there now according to rumors.

Carbon is plenty tough enough, that’s why most enduro and downhill bikes are made of the stuff, and most of the top end components. My carbon trail bike has suffered 3 years of abuse from bike parks to downhill and it’s still in great shape. I would hazard a guess that since the mass introduction of carbon, frame failures have not increased - it’s certainly not a problem. The YT has bash plates and protection in all the right places, and they are definitely not made out of carbon!

I still think Alu and Steel bikes are cool and definitely have there place, look at all the boutique brands popping up releasing some pretty innovative and well balanced bikes using those materials.

Last edited:

OlaGB

Subscriber
Mar 19, 2019
Norway
Carbon is plenty tough enough, that’s why most enduro and downhill bikes are made of the stuff, and most of the top end components. My carbon trail bike has suffered 3 years of abuse from bike parks to downhill and it’s still in great shape. I would hazard a guess that since the mass introduction of carbon, frame failures have not increased - it’s certainly not a problem. The YT has bash plates and protection in all the right places, and they are definitely not made out of carbon!

I still think Alu and Steel bikes are cool and definitely have there place, look at all the boutique brands popping up releasing some pretty innovative and well balanced bikes using those materials.

My last Rocky Mountain Instinct BC was a carbon frame, so i`ve had it and i know they are strong as.. But only while undamaged.
Think this way, if you crash and youre frame hits a rock and gets a good scar/damage point (the alu would probably get a dent), which would you prefer to keep riding ?
We all know carbon get very much weaker when scratched/bruized.

As much as i love carbon as a material, i really dont see any benefits other than weight on a mtb/emtb, especially one i`m going to go crash down rocky trails every now and then.

But i see that it`s almost impossible not to go carbon again on my next bike when due, as all brands goes that direction on the premium bikes.

And it might be the decoy one day, as it really looks great!

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
My last Rocky Mountain Instinct BC was a carbon frame, so i`ve had it and i know they are strong as.. But only while undamaged.
Think this way, if you crash and youre frame hits a rock and gets a good scar/damage point (the alu would probably get a dent), which would you prefer to keep riding ?
We all know carbon get very much weaker when scratched/bruized.

As much as i love carbon as a material, i really dont see any benefits other than weight on a mtb/emtb, especially one i`m going to go crash down rocky trails every now and then.

But i see that it`s almost impossible not to go carbon again on my next bike when due, as all brands goes that direction on the premium bikes.

And it might be the decoy one day, as it really looks great!

Weight is a fairly important factor. I just don’t see any increase in frame damage (between friends, forums and publications) since the big move to carbon so I don’t really see it as a problem.

I’ve been in A&E a few times in the past few years (fractured vertebrae and internal bleeding) and my carbon bike has come off a lot better than me :LOL:

Maybe there will come point where I do dent/damage a carbon frame, it’s just I don’t hear about it happening very much.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Carbon is plenty tough enough, that’s why most enduro and downhill bikes are made of the stuff
Thing is. Pretty much no one who races DH or enduro seriously keeps a frame for more than one season.
I have carbon frames too but am under no illusion it's anywhere near as durable as Alu. Strong. Yes. Durable. no.
eg. I've seen a riding friends carbon chainstay wear through in one winter from heel rub.
The other thing about Carbon is because of the high price most carbon frames/bikes bought at full RRP are bought by people who treat them with kid gloves. fully protective taping them, fitting downtube guards etc, (ironically often negating the weight saving) and being very careful with them.
One bonus of Carbon over alu is it's ability to be repaired even after catrastrophic tube failure. whether it is cost effective is another matter entirely though.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Thing is. Pretty much no one who races DH or enduro seriously keeps a frame for more than one season.
I have carbon frames too but am under no illusion it's anywhere near as durable as Alu.

There are far more amateurs than pros who keep their frames for as long as possible. I know plenty of guys who race off a shoe string budget.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
There are far more amateurs than pros who keep their frames for as long as possible. I know plenty of guys who race off a shoe string budget.
Yeah. I said racing DH or Enduro seriously.

If you want to race seriously and want to keep your frame for as long as possible Carbon might not be the best choice.

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
This wait is killing me! This has been the longest two weeks of my life. Not sure how I’ll make it to 6/6. I keep searching for decoy posts on google and ig, but it seems they’ve only been seen/ridden at the press camp.

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
This wait is killing me! This has been the longest two weeks of my life. Not sure how I’ll make it to 6/6. I keep searching for decoy posts on google and ig, but it seems they’ve only been seen/ridden at the press camp.

...and 6/6 is when the wait really begins ?

I’m not a YT novice. One of two things will happen. It’ll arrive when you aren’t expecting it to be so quick, or you’ll get the email saying it’s on it’s way.....and it’ll arrive when you don’t expect it to ?

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole

It depends on personal experience - the only frame I have broken was a carbon Cannondale Rush and the seat post exploded, so this puts me off Carbon frames since 2009...also all the rock flying up and hitting the frame is a big risk on carbon.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
It depends on personal experience - the only frame I have broken was a carbon Cannondale Rush and the seat post exploded, so this puts me off Carbon frames since 2009...also all the rock flying up and hitting the frame is a big risk on carbon.

Fair enough, I have flown through places like antur stiniog and north wales with big chunks of rock destroying my shins and forks but my frame is fine.

It does seem that since 2015 there have been big improvements in carbon durability.

Levo Lution

Oct 10, 2018
Slovakia
I ordered the base model just after rob dropped his video! ETA 5/15. I went with the base cause I have an Avalanche damper for the yari and a bunch of carbon component to swap in. I was waiting for an EP deal on the new levo or the Flyon, but honestly I like the looks and package of this bike way more. I’m stoked!
Did YT charge your credit card at the time of order?

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
That is not iaw European law, they are not allowed to charge your CC before the stuff you buy are ready for immediate delivery.

Karsten

Karsten

Are you sure it EU Law? It might be credit card rules, but not actually a law. Obviously in the UK we don’t give a damn about EU law ? but I’d like to know which law it is if it’s out there.

And if you are aggrieved because you believe you shouldn’t have been charged then you raise it with your credit card company and they may well reimburse you and charge back the amount.....

Meaning no Decoy.

You pays your money. You take your chances. It was clear in the purchase contract that the delivery would be some months after the initial order/purchase.

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
I ordered the base model just after rob dropped his video! ETA 5/15. I went with the base cause I have an Avalanche damper for the yari and a bunch of carbon component to swap in. I was waiting for an EP deal on the new levo or the Flyon, but honestly I like the looks and package of this bike way more. I’m stoked!

Nick can you get your bike in to Invisiframe quick!?

I wrapped my Rawr Capra before I rode it and it’s like new!

I’d like a kit waiting for my Decoy when it lands in June ☺️

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Karsten

Are you sure it EU Law? It might be credit card rules, but not actually a law. Obviously in the UK we don’t give a damn about EU law ? but I’d like to know which law it is if it’s out there.

And if you are aggrieved because you believe you shouldn’t have been charged then you raise it with your credit card company and they may well reimburse you and charge back the amount.....

Meaning no Decoy.

You pays your money. You take your chances. It was clear in the purchase contract that the delivery would be some months after the initial order/purchase.

My mistake as I just checked the European consumer law and from a EU perspective there are not any common laws stating that they cannot draw the money right away. However there is a 30 day period from where you pay to where the goods should be delivered. Indirectly that indicates that they can only draw the money 30 days prior to shipping but the area is a grey zone.

The reason why I mixed it up is the fact that within Scandinavia there is a common law that money should not be drawn before actual shipment of goods and all online stores comply with it.

Karsten

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
I should have said I’m in the states, where you’re encourages to acquire lots of debt regardless if you acquire any assets in the process. ?‍♂️

I’ve got a whole box full of Xpel Stealth wrap. So I’ll be doing my own ghetto invisiframe. I think the contours on the decoy will make application easy, but trimming the wrap to fit before application will take a lot of time. That’s ok tho I’ll be wanting to spend lots of quality time with my new bae.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I thought Invisframe has to have access to a bike do that they could measure up and make some patterns before they could sell a kit for it. So don't expect to be able to buy a kit when the bike isn't even in the UK yet.

On anther Forum, I read that someone got a free or heavily discounted Invisframe kit because he sent his bike to them for copying.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
My Carbon Capra came from YT already fully heli-taped.

not that this information is particularly relevant either. Just sayin'
;)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
all the raw carbon/Stealth black 2017/18 frames had factory heli tape fitted.

I actually only bought the Carbon because it came in stealth black ;)

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
YT confirmed to me yesterday via email that they will NOT be producing a fast charger in the forseeable future, so that is something to bear in mind as some of the competition will be doing that this year.

Ryder

Apr 24, 2018
UK
Just ordered a Base model. I know the pro is great value but could not wait until August!

Was looking at this, the Norco Sight or the Tazer

Evans were as rubbish as you would expect so ruled the sight out. Was going to go with the Tazer but had a reality check over the price so YT is is! I am going to struggle with the wait though.

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
Just ordered a Base model. I know the pro is great value but could not wait until August!

Was looking at this, the Norco Sight or the Tazer

Evans were as rubbish as you would expect so ruled the sight out. Was going to go with the Tazer but had a reality check over the price so YT is is! I am going to struggle with the wait though.

What’s your ‘in stock’ date?

I’m keen to see how it goes from in stock to delivered!

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
Funny, my order of the CF Pro says “has not been processed” I’m in the states. Also, have you read where it states, “battery must be removed, before transport?” Why, and how many of us will actually do that?

Ryder

Apr 24, 2018
UK
What’s your ‘in stock’ date?

I’m keen to see how it goes from in stock to delivered!

I'll keep updating. At the moment the order is in processing (guess it will stay that way until the bike is in stock) Estimated stock date is 22nd May

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles