Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Matty I emailed YT head office direct and that's the reply I got from them directly! It has to go back to them didn't you read it!

I am sure it is serviceable in this country but you would need to check with them first but if there is a fault with it then it needs to be sent back to YT.

I personally love this bike and I really want one now, are you considering one :)
I’m almost certain that they (Stefan, YT Co-owner and CTO) told me that they have local Shimano service centre support. I’m going to message them to ask again.

Reactions: 06z

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
I’m almost certain that they (Stefan, YT Co-owner and CTO) told me that they have local Shimano service centre support. I’m going to message them to ask again.
thats the one Rob. I'm in New Zealand and riders at this end of the Planet (NZ, Australia e.t.c.) would probably need a definitive answer to this question before we would order a bike that MAY have to go back to Germany each time there was an issue. Thats definitely not the case with my Focus Jam2.

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
This is a really exciting time for ebikes, all the major players are going to start getting on-board which will drive the technological innovation up and the prices down massively. I love my Comp Carbon Levo and my YT Jeffsy CF Pro Race but the bar is going to be going up and up and up every year, I’m not in a financial position to try and keep up with the evolution but I welcome it anyway and can’t wait to see where it goes.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Sum sums
for anyone more interested in the actual bike than worrying about future warranty logistics of a bike they were never even seriously considering buying in the first place ;)

Here's what I plan on doing with the bike.

Medium Decoy with a 27.5x2.4" HRII and a 27.5x2.5 DHRII (+New 27.5 wheel) and a 20mm longer airspring (upping the fork travel to 180mm travel) will result in pretty similar geometry to stock.
It'll be less than half a deg slacker and should have around an 8mm lower BB (but will also ride slightly lower again sagged)
Shouldn't be difficult to get even the base model to 48lb with pedals either.

Why am I even thinking of fucking with YTs intended spec on a seemingly perfect e-enduro bike?
Because enduro isn't my preferred riding style.
The changes are to add turning nimbility, acceleration and responsiveness characteristics but also to add stability via a slightly slacker H/A and lower BB height. In a word, to add "playfulness".
it'll still be an incredibly capable descender without the 29" front wheel due to the fork travel increase.

magnil

Sep 25, 2018
Sweden
Sum sums
for anyone more interested in the actual bike than worrying about future warranty logistics of a bike they were never even seriously considering buying in the first place ;)

Here's what I plan on doing with the bike.

You actually think most people are more interested in what you are going to do with your bike than how warranty is handled on a 5000 € bike?

I definitely considered buying it but since I only plan to have one e-bike my first hand experience with handling warranty issues puts me of.

From what I have seen earlier in this thread you will probably attack me in any way you can now for not thinking like you. I am finished with my input and will not respond.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
I’m a bit late to the party, but thanks for the review @Rob Hancill .

It looks like a real contender, I’m pretty keen to try this out on a demo day sometime. It seems like a lighter, more playful, Kenevo, without the Levo tax. Its nice to see how quickly the ebike world is moving on.

For me to buy this, or any other direct sales bike, the warranty questions would need answering, particularly given the uncertainties around brexit - I dont want to be shipping a bike to Germany when it starts making a nasty noise, its bad enough having to drive over to my mates house 20mins away to drop off the Kenevo and go for a pint, when it starts making a nasty noise.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Its interesting how this whole consumer direct vs shop has kicked off in this thread, when TBH it hasn't really kicked off in the other consumer direct threads. I reckon probably 1/3 to 1/2 of members on here have got consumer direct bikes.

Personally I have a great LBS, who I uses to do proper work on my Vitus's, which are obviously consumer direct - I have had no issues with either of my bikes over the last year that aren't issues I can fix myself, and I take the bikes for a full strip down service every six months at the LBS.

I do believe that you have to look after your bikes a bit more when its an EMTB, and that regular preventative maintenance is key - I know from speaking to many mechanics that a lot of the issues they see with EMTB's come from people who have bought them, but are relatively new to MTB'ing and haven't looked after the drivetrain etc because they are simply not clued up on what to do.

If you are looking at buying an EMTB, but don't feel or aren't mechanically component, then buying form an LBS is probably a very good idea.

I don't think buying from an LBS is a guarantee of making dealing with any issues simpler.

With a the vast majority of motors, no shop is going to hold spares, and the manufacturer will want it sent back to them for inspection before actioning anything, so you can expect to be without your bike for a while.

Some shops such as Berkshire Cycles in the uk will swap out (in their case Specilized) the motor for a new one, and then deal with the paperwork with the supplier later, but this is not to be expected at 99.9% of shops, and from what I understand they loose money by doing this, but the good will and PR it gets them means they attract customers and ultimately shift more bikes, and this is something that most bike shops simply cant afford to do.

Last edited:

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
If you don’t use Berkshire cycles it goes like this.

Take wheels of bike drive an hour to j e James.
They only diagnose the issue.
They send faulty part the Germany for a warranty claim
You wait, wait a bit more,
At some point Germany agree and send new part
it’s gets fitted and you get your bike back.

Direct sales
Get courier to pick bike up from home.
Wait maybe wait a bit more
Get bike back.

Direct sale actually would save me 4 hours of travel to a LBS only downside I have to box the bike up and get a courier to collect it.

I’ll certainly look at a direct sale next time.

Trail Doug

Nov 22, 2018
Wrexham
It's only a main frame triangle fault that would be a real pain to rtb on my Commencal (or pretty much any direct brand bike) and require a full strip down. Everything else including chainstay/seatstays etc can be sent separately.

I also bought a highly discounted hybrid style ebike for my Dad to use which comes with the same motor, controller etc that can loan drive system spare parts whilst any of mine are away for service with Shimano. The total cost of both bikes was less than a similar specced Spesh/Mondraker/Lapierre etc..

Anything else can be replaced locally or from the parts bin in the garage whilst being warrantied. That's all IF there is an issue with a huge upside being my 76 y/o Dad gets to come out on rides around the local lanes with me again.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You actually think most people are more interested in what you are going to do with your bike than how warranty is handled on a 5000 € bike?
Folk who might actually buy the bike? On a thread about the bike?
:eek:

:unsure:
From what I have seen earlier in this thread you will probably attack me in any way you can now for not thinking like you. I am finished with my input and will not respond.
Sorry but don't ask silly/snide questions if you can't take the reply.
They're just words/views... no one is being "attacked".

The reason I posted the above info is to help anyone else like me who doesn't buy into the ebike fashion of a larger 29" wheel up front with less fork travel and smaller 27.5 plus tyre in the rear. or the handling traits that come from such a set-up.

Last edited:

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
If you don’t use Berkshire cycles it goes like this.

Take wheels of bike drive an hour to j e James.
They only diagnose the issue.
They send faulty part the Germany for a warranty claim
You wait, wait a bit more,
At some point Germany agree and send new part
it’s gets fitted and you get your bike back.

Direct sales
Get courier to pick bike up from home.
Wait maybe wait a bit more
Get bike back.

Direct sale actually would save me 4 hours of travel to a LBS only downside I have to box the bike up and get a courier to collect it.

I’ll certainly look at a direct sale next time.

I think this is a good point but to be fair that stretches the definition of Local Bike Shop doesn’t it? :)

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
My lbs had a problem with a shimano battery. They just contacted the distributer and a new one was shipped out before the old one was sent back. The time for the customer would have been a couple of days. So if your lbs is a shimano dealer the chances are the fixes could be quite quick

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Some shops such as Berkshire Cycles in the uk will swap out (in their case Specilized) the motor for a new one, and then deal with the paperwork with the supplier later, but this is not to be expected at 99.9% of shops, and from what I understand they loose money by doing this, but the good will and PR it gets them means they attract customers and ultimately shift more bikes, and this is something that most bike shops simply cant afford to do.
If you are an Authorized Specialized Shop I believe you need to respond to warranty service. Whether it was profitable or not. I dunno if Berkshire Cycles is?

The biggest problems you can't fix yourself are in the engine. Easy to take the whole bike to the local bike shop and they repair it.

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
You don't notice that they are mismatched when riding it. Its likely that they went with a 27.5 on the back to keep the chainstay as short as possible. I did ask if you can fit a 29er, they wouldnt advise it. In fact, it wouldn't pass the CE testing with a 29er in it due to clearance.
You guys don’t see the mixed fad coming?? Mark my words this will be the next big thing over the coming seasons on all categories of bikes. It is about a lot more that short chainstays. The 29er front wheels adds so much stability and cornering traction and the 27.5 rear maintains flickability, bike control and bum clearance on the steeps. I’ve been doing it for years and absolutely love it! Wants some empiracle evidence? UCI removed the 40 year ban on two wheels of different diameter on 10/2/18. The very first EWS race with the new rules (last weeks ewsnz) Martin Maes won every single stage on a mixed wheel size bike! That’s a first in ews history. Another empiracle study done by the bike maker Liteville discovered 80% of the increased roll over provided by larger wheels comes from the front wheel. So mixing is like having your cake and eating it too. It’s brilliant y’all.

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
You guys don’t see the mixed fad coming?? Mark my words this will be the next big thing over the coming seasons on all categories of bikes. It is about a lot more that short chainstays. The 29er front wheels adds so much stability and cornering traction and the 27.5 rear maintains flickability, bike control and bum clearance on the steeps. I’ve been doing it for years and absolutely love it! Wants some empiracle evidence? UCI removed the 40 year ban on two wheels of different diameter on 10/2/18. The very first EWS race with the new rules (last weeks ewsnz) Martin Maes won every single stage on a mixed wheel size bike! That’s a first in ews history. Another empiracle study done by the bike maker Liteville discovered 80% of the increased roll over provided by larger wheels comes from the front wheel. So mixing is like having your cake and eating it too. It’s brilliant y’all.
I have reserved a Flyon allmtn. It has mixed wheels too. But this YT me tempted. I will see what Rob says when he gets his hands on a flyon...

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
Rob! I can't believe that you didn't mention the movie!
A cool bike just got a whole lot cooler!
Right! That’s some incredible riding. I remember a thread on here discussing the riding style in ebike promo videos as being pedestrian and mellow trail ride orientated. They were speculating it has to do with the key sales demo of older riders or a kind of bury the true capability for young rippers. Idk about all that, but I do know YT and Adolf aren’t holding anything back! o_O

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
For the motor, Shimano will handle the warranty. They did it with my Meta Power leaving Commencal completely out. For the rest of the components, I guess it's the same as with their other bikes.
In the states the Shimano warranty process is very easy, not inconvenient and fast.

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
Pricing in Australia is very high. Higher than most brands except for Specialized, which totally defeats the whole YT ethos of:
"Selling direct – ditching the middlemen – was the way. It allowed us to create cutting-edge bikes with impressive kit at truly amazing prices by passing on savings directly to you, the customer. "
pricing is the state’s is higher than I’d expect too. Seems like YT maybe consider themselves a premium brand despite the direct sales model. Most of their bikes sell out, so makes sense to raise the price a bit.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
TBF They are very much a premium direct sales brand. As are Canyon
Right! That’s some incredible riding. I remember a thread on here discussing the riding style in ebike promo videos as being pedestrian and mellow trail ride orientated. They were speculating it has to do with the key sales demo of older riders or a kind of bury the true capability for young rippers. Idk about all that, but I do know YT and Adolf aren’t holding anything back! o_O
Hence my link and comment below the vid when I first posted it ;)

This is where emtb should have been heading all along IMO

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
If you want one get it ordered quickly. I think this will sell out quickly. Then there’ll be a queue, like the Levos.
I ordered the base model just after rob dropped his video! ETA 5/15. I went with the base cause I have an Avalanche damper for the yari and a bunch of carbon component to swap in. I was waiting for an EP deal on the new levo or the Flyon, but honestly I like the looks and package of this bike way more. I’m stoked!

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
I ordered the base model just after rob dropped his video! ETA 5/15. I went with the base cause I have an Avalanche damper for the yari and a bunch of carbon component to swap in. I was waiting for an EP deal on the new levo or the Flyon, but honestly I like the looks and package of this bike way more. I’m stoked!

I bet you are! It wasn’t just you I was aiming that at either.

I’d probably go for this as the package is great but I have a cycle to work arrangement sorted out already. However I’m happy to deal with my LBS. I’ve built so many bikes over the years but I like the LBS backup these days.

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
TBF They are very much a premium direct sales brand. As are Canyon

Hence my link and comment below the vid when I first posted it ;)

This is where emtb should have been heading all along IMO
Ain’t nobody got time for fancy links when scrubbing a thread! But, yea, it was your article I was recalling. So, agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles