YT Decoy first ride review: A brilliant ebike with outstanding performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
Damn, wish I knew about this a month ago when I placed the order for a Levo Comp. I've been happy with my YT Jeffsy since 2016.

The Decoy looks at least as good as the Levo, if not better. Priced a little cheaper but comes with a carbon frame, suspension components at double the price, an easier to access and larger capacity battery w/ the latest cell technology... :eek:

If it wasn't for the motor, I would seriously consider canceling the order. I haven't tested or even seen a Shimano motor, but from everything I've read, it seems the Brose is clearly the better one?

Anyone know if YT charges the credit card on order, or on shipment? Maybe I should place an order to get in line and have a backup plan if the Levo delivery date gets pushed further back :cool:
Priced a 'little cheaper'? I don't think their prices are in the same league. A maxed out Decoy is 6,600€ (same as the Comp Carbon) while the comparable S-Works Levo is 11,300€. :)
If you haven't tested or even seen a Shimano motor how do you know that the Brose is clearly the better one or if it feels somewhat better does it worth the difference? I would try one before making up my mind...

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
How will YT handle warranty claims on motor and other parts? A little put off after Jeffsy warranty claim that took two months to handle, too long time to be without bike.

Will any Shimano service center handle warranty claims or do you have to send the bike back to YT?
For the motor, Shimano will handle the warranty. They did it with my Meta Power leaving Commencal completely out. For the rest of the components, I guess it's the same as with their other bikes.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Nothing wrong with the E7000 display, but could have an even cleaner cockpit :) From the video it looks like there is space in the downtube above the battery, so you could hide it away totally if you wanted a super clean look. I'm so used to having no permanent display it would be weird going back to one again now!
I see... well, they give you the option to take the display off. Personally, I'm absolutely fine with it.

peippo

Mar 28, 2019
Finland
Priced a 'little cheaper'? I don't think their prices are in the same league.
I should have been more specific on the models I'm looking at. The Decoy CF Pro (5600€) vs. the Levo Comp (6000€) is indeed priced a little cheaper. The value for money is another thing, and I did list some of the differences that are clearly in favour of the Decoy.

If you haven't tested or even seen a Shimano motor how do you know that the Brose is clearly the better one or if it feels somewhat better does it worth the difference? I would try one before making up my mind...
I don't know that, nor did I say so. I said that from everything I've read, it seems that this would be the case. Natural assistance feel and minimal noise level would be key for me. Maybe I'll have to see if I can find a test bike with the same Shimano motor.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Amazing spec for the price on all 3 models but on going support from YT once you have it in your hot little hands for any issues arising would be a huge concern for me.

This is the one and only reason I would not buy one.

I am not sure how long @Gary was without his Vitus while it was getting sorted out by CRC. Did it have to go back a few times or was it just the once? How many weeks were you ebikeless? I know you have loads of other bikes to ride but some of us do not have that luxury.

However, everyone has a choice on how they want to roll and may to happy to take the relatively low to medium risk.

Ivan

Dec 29, 2018
Australia
Pricing in Australia is very high. Higher than most brands except for Specialized, which totally defeats the whole YT ethos of:
"Selling direct – ditching the middlemen – was the way. It allowed us to create cutting-edge bikes with impressive kit at truly amazing prices by passing on savings directly to you, the customer. "

magnil

Sep 25, 2018
Sweden
For the motor, Shimano will handle the warranty. They did it with my Meta Power leaving Commencal completely out. For the rest of the components, I guess it's the same as with their other bikes.

Unfortunately this is not the case with YT. Got an answer from them now "If there are problems with the drive unit or battery we need the bike in our workshop. A bike shop in your area does not have the possibility to access our drive unit software and therefore can not help you."

Same as when I had problems with damper and crank (and frame), has to go back to YT and a minimum of 5 weeks (my experience with 5 repairs) without working bike. Nice bikes but warranty handling is not good enough for me, can't handle being without my bike :).

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Unfortunately this is not the case with YT. Got an answer from them now "If there are problems with the drive unit or battery we need the bike in our workshop. A bike shop in your area does not have the possibility to access our drive unit software and therefore can not help you."

Same as when I had problems with damper and crank (and frame), has to go back to YT and a minimum of 5 weeks (my experience with 5 repairs) without working bike. Nice bikes but warranty handling is not good enough for me, can't handle being without my bike :).

That is something that would really put me off it as the last thing I want to do is ship it back to Germany!

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
I really like the though they have put into maintenance and working on the bike, something that is a common theme with YT over recent years, to get everything so well integrated yet still accessible is a big plus.

Also at 5999 for the top model, that is a hell of a good price when compared to what else is out there
Providing they have powered the di2 from the main bike battery
Rob! I can't believe that you didn't mention the movie!
A cool bike just got a whole lot cooler!
Would have been been better in lederhosen in a swiss pub

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I am not sure how long @Gary was without his Vitus while it was getting sorted out by CRC. Did it have to go back a few times or was it just the once? How many weeks were you ebikeless? I know you have loads of other bikes to ride but some of us do not have that luxury.
I'm still Ebikeless
It's been back twice
total time without an Ebike is approaching 10 weeks.

This has NOTHING to do with YT

I have a YT and have been happy with all corespondence/issues with YT

I'm loving riding my Capra and 4X bikes just now.
Unlike a lot of follk here my Emtb is just another toy from a rather large toybox rather than a replacement for all my previous toys

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I'm still Ebikeless
It's been back twice
total time without an Ebike is approaching 10 weeks.

This has NOTHING to do with YT

I have a YT and have been happy with all corespondence/issues with YT

I'm loving riding my Capra and 4X bikes just now.
Unlike a lot of follk here my Emtb is just another toy from a rather large toybox rather than a replacement for all my previous toys
It has EVERYTHING to do with YT.

They are a direct to the consumer seller. CRC are a direct to the consumer seller. You were without your bike for 10 weeks. What makes you think this will be any better with YT?

If you have an issue with your non ebike you can more or less fix any issue on it if you are mechanically capable and have the tools, if not, you have the option to take it to your LBS without having to send it back to Germany or to Ireland.

As a lot of us already know (you included) things happen to ebikes that cannot be fixed by you or your LBS or, you are not allowed to try to fix them due to the warranty cover on the ebike i.e. battery issues, cable issues, motor issues etc. They have to be returned to the ebike company. This is down time. 10 weeks is 9 weeks too many for me.

The post below convinces me.

YT Decoy first ride review: A brilliant ebike with outstanding performance - EMTB Forums

Like I said, everyone has a choice on how they want to roll and may be quite happy to take on this risk.

Not me thank you very much, I prefer making a quick courtesy call and just rolling up at Berkshire cycles and getting the issue fixed on the same day or if not possible, the next day. Quick customer support and back up for me, is key ;)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Correct me if I am wrong but plenty of threads on here with members who have been without Specialized, Giant, Focus, Haibike etc for considerable amounts of time whilst issues sorted?

Let’s face it EMTB’s are a new frontier when it comes to warranty’s, and it’s pretty much pot luck across the brands if you get one with any issues and how long it will take to deal with.

I won’t go near a Specialized because why would I take the risk that you go to switch on your bike one day and it just doesn’t work? Fine I could go to Berkshire cycles but that’s still my days riding gone, I don’t know anyone with a Levo who hasn’t had a new motor or it in for repair.

Doesn’t mean it’s a bad bike, but not a risk I want to take.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire

Just had it confirmed direct from YT that if there is a problem with the Shimano motor at any time it can't be taken to a Shimano dealer in the UK it has to be sent back to Germany, probably not an issue that will arise much but it's worth knowing if things like that bother you.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Just had it confirmed direct from YT that if there is a problem with the Shimano motor at any time it can't be taken to a Shimano dealer in the UK it has to be sent back to Germany, probably not an issue that will arise much but it's worth knowing if things like that bother you.
Hmm that’s not what I was told at the event.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Hmm that’s not what I was told at the event.

Hi Rob here is a copy of their email i just recieved

Hello Andy,

Many thanks for your inquiry.

If there is a problem with the drive unit you have to send us the complete bike. It is not possible to contact Shimano directly or to go to a bike shop near you.
The 700Wh battery will be available from the end of the year. I currently have no information from when and how expensive it will be.

We tested a lot of powertrain systems in the development of the bike and came to the conclusion that the whole package fits best with a Shimano drive unit.
Beste Grüße / Best regards / Cordialement
Michael Lifka

Funky Bolly

Nov 10, 2018
Newport wales
On FaceBook many posters commented on YTs' frame cracking and what about after sales service ? All Ebike motors need taken care of and over time them bearing will pack up are there Shimano UK service centres ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The main thing that would concern me is the battery - if you look at the most common problems on the Forum across all brands, they tend to be around battery connections where the bike has a battery from a different supplier to the motor.

There seem to be very few problems in this area when a motor is paired up with a battery from the manafacuter, but when they use a bespoke option there seem to be more issues, both with quality of connection and also with BMS integration

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
It has EVERYTHING to do with YT.
No. it has NOTHING to do with them.

They are a direct to the consumer seller. CRC are a direct to the consumer seller. You were without your bike for 10 weeks. What makes you think this will be any better with YT?
I don't really want to go into personal details but trust me having had experience of both companies it would be an entirely different procedure with YT.

If you have an issue with your non ebike you can more or less fix any issue on it if you are mechanically capable and have the tools, if not, you have the option to take it to your LBS without having to send it back to Germany or to Ireland.
What?
how is this relevant?
I've been a bike mechanic since the early 90s. I don't ever use LBS.
Ebike or non.

As a lot of us already know (you included) things happen to ebikes that cannot be fixed by you or your LBS or, you are not allowed to try to fix them due to the warranty cover on the ebike i.e. battery issues, cable issues, motor issues etc. They have to be returned to the ebike company. This is down time. 10 weeks is 9 weeks too many for me.
Sure you have enough salt to rub into my raw wounds?
FFS mate. My issues with CRC are none of your business and I'm not about to share all the details with you or anyone else here.

Like I said, everyone has a choice on how they want to roll and may be quite happy to take on this risk.
How about minding your own business on the matter then.

Not me thank you very much, I prefer making a quick courtesy call and just rolling up at Berkshire cycles and getting the issue fixed on the same day or if not possible, the next day. Quick customer support and back up for me, is key ;)
How very smug of you.
But...
firstly I have zero interest in riding any Specialized Emtb
and secondly YT in Germany is as easy for me to get to as your beloved Berkshire cycles (the local Spesh dealers aren't anywhere near as helpful BTW)

Last edited:

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
That is super weird given what Rob was told and wrote up in his article...

"If you’re wondering why YT chose a Shimano motor over, perhaps a German brand, such as Brose, Bosch or even Fazua… me too. Until I though a bit more about their model. Being a Direct to Consumer brand means that in the event that something goes wrong with the motor it’s critical that the customer can get it fixed. Quick.

I don’t think that Brose offer any way, other than via a dealer, to get support. So that rules that one out. I doubt any dealer would be willing to support YT in house. Bosch? Well, it’s a bit long in the tooth and due a refresh. The Fazua probably doesnt offer enough torque and ultimate power for the intented gravity use of the Decoy.

So Shimano kind of makes sense. There’s a bunch of Shimano service centres that can help. Not quite as easy as turning up to a dealer to get it sorted there and then, but the next best solution. In the event that the battery needs service, this will be dealt with directly by YT."

Sounds like either the marketing team at the launch event got a bit liberal with their claims or CS didn't get the memo from the design team about why the Shimano was chosen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles