Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Another thought; all three bikes were noisy, easily as loud as my (new) Bosch motor, and felt quite mechanical. I had a brief ride round the car park on a Fantic and the Brose motor was almost completely silent in all modes and buttery smooth.

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I am impressed by the Decoy, but...

The Base model was disappointing because the suspension was so harsh after the silky smooth Fox Factory kit on the Pro Race and I didn’t think the Shimano motor was a significant improvement over the Bosch.

It is a better bike than my Trek but I’m not convinced it’s better enough to warrant spending the money.

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
I have a Pro on order and going to test ride at Gisburn this weekend. Loving my current Levo so the Decoy will need to be great or I will cancel the Decoy and concentrate on increasing the Levo to 180 both ends and frankenwheels.

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
I have a Pro on order and going to test ride at Gisburn this weekend. Loving my current Levo so the Decoy will need to be great or I will cancel the Decoy and concentrate on increasing the Levo to 180 both ends and frankenwheels.

My buddy is very happy with his levo at 170mm travel with the reduced offset 36 factory fork.
IMG_4814.jpg

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
Just the fork. He said it transformed the bike over the stock pike at 150. He’s really really fast and has a lot of nice bikes. So I’d say it’s worth a shot! Not sure if he’s doing anything with the shock.

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
Demoed one at FoD today. Turned up at 8.30, 10 people in queue before me, everyone went out about 9.30, my bike came in at 10.30 and I was out on at 11am.

Sooo. It nice, very nice, but after riding many other ebikes did not blow me away.

It handles most like a e-sommet in my opinion. Which is a good thing for any bike, let alone a psudo-29er! Its nimble, turns incredibly well, jumps well. Suspension wise, not as plush as 165mm would make you think. Also, they set it up with a lot of compression. When you bounce on it it feels like the climb switch is on. But I still used all the travel on sheepskull and GBU DH runs at FoD. There was oil traces on the X2 so the shock could have been desperate for a service after many many demos.

It didn’t feel as big as the geo suggests. In fact it felt good if on the smaller and nimble side. (6’1 on an XL). Definitely not as confident flat out as my kenevo. But definitely more playful. Front end feels quit low and short contrary to reviews. I did some steep techy stuff on one of the off piste DH runs and it didn’t feel like I had much out in front of me. BB height felt about right, but could go lower. Felts very balanced. Chainstays felt shorter than 442mm in real world.

I didn’t like the pro races di2.

In one hour I rode hard mostly in turbo and did 4 DH runs and the skills lines 4 times (1800ft climbing) and it used 1 bar of battery!!! Impressive.

Just trying to decide whether to keep my order (delivery june) or cancel it and keep my kenevo. Or stump up the extra cash for that RM altitude 70 I really reallt want. First world problems.

Last edited:

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
It didn’t feel as big as the geo suggests. In fact it felt good if on the smaller and nimble side. (6’1 on an XL). Definitely not as confident flat out as my kenevo. But definitely more playful.
Like the sound of that, right up my street. Was beginning to worry I had gone too big with XL??

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
you are right there as I read my Levo booklet earlier and it said 160mm was the maximum upgrade on suspension and anything more that that will void the warranty!
Does it say anything about the rear shock?

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Does it say anything about the rear shock?

It doesn't say anything about the rear shock but it does state the front fork maximum travel is 160mm on the 29 wheel, it says check with your Specialized dealer if you are changing to longer travel forks/shocks etc as it will alter the bike bb height and the head angle.

D

Duncan Ackling

Right guys, I’m in a pickle. Just ordered the Decoy pro, I have a crazy delivery date of September maybe November. I wrote to Yt about when the new 2020 was being launched, they stated usually Jan 2020. So should I bin my order and wait to see the 2020 model, potentially with the new battery, or just go balls deep. Of course I’ll miss the summer season due to the exception delivery times.

Arrrrh

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Right guys, I’m in a pickle. Just ordered the Decoy pro, I have a crazy delivery date of September maybe November. I wrote to Yt about when the new 2020 was being launched, they stated usually Jan 2020. So should I bin my order and wait to see the 2020 model, potentially with the new battery, or just go balls deep. Of course I’ll miss the summer season due to the exception delivery times.

Arrrrh

I was in a similar position. Ended up going with a Meta Power (just as capable but less bling) and my plan is to upgrade in 18-24 months when the new Shimano motor is available.

The base and pro models have much shorter lead times so you could just swap to one of them.

IATR

May 23, 2019
UK
My Base arrived today.

Really well packaged, everything boxed nicely and logically laid out. Everything was set up, just the bars to put on, brakes to swap left to right and then whack the mech on.

They were the easiest wheels/tyres I ever converted to tubeless. Valves were included, rims pre-taped. Two mahoosive tubes out, 550g saved right there :)

First impressions after a couple of hours, in low geometry:
The motor isn’t as powerful as a Brose, but felt more natural (I couldn’t wheelie a Brose easily, Shimano much easier) ;)
Fit on a Large is perfect, pleased I didn’t go XL. Shorter than my large Smuggler but it suits the bike well
The forks take an hour or so to lose the initial stiction from the seals, don’t really get that with Fox... I think they’ll be okay
Rear shock has no compression adjustment, I think that will be changed before the fork damper
Brakes feel okay, but will swap to Saints unless they continue to bed in and provide more power
Seat is awful (personal, and an easy change)
Not sure I like the limited steering range built into the headset, nearly made an arse of myself trackstanding at some lights...
Chainstay protector/chain is unbelievably quiet
The rubber cover is fiddly as to put back in after charging
I think I’d like a longer crank, for when the assistance ends...
I can’t back pedal to oil the chain! 30 years of habit gone...
General fit and finish is way better than I was expecting though - maybe unfairly.

The bike feels very balanced, and confident, I was riding like I’d had it for a month. I don’t remember having as much fun on a bike. Ever.

16mph is too slow for the assist to stop. I don’t think it’s far out, and realise the legal issues, but 19 or 20mph would make a huge difference on flowing singletrack where I know I’ll be faster on my Smuggler as it currently stands. I don’t think I’d want assist higher than 20. Climbs are another matter though, as is blasting out of tight, footy, twisty corners in the woods.

Downhills at speed, and the weight just doesn’t really come into it.

Really, really pleased with it (admittedly a first impression only) and can’t wait to get back on it tomorrow :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles