YT Decoy first ride review: A brilliant ebike with outstanding performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
After riding an e8000 equipped bike, and now being married, working two job and getting fat, the Shimano equipped bike is for me so much nicer in every way

I guess no one is trying to claim the e8000 is the best motor, just better value vs a new levo? Trade offs I guess.

I agree as I did really like the Shimano and as you say a trade off but we'll worth it :)

I got a superb deal on both our Levo's but if I had paid full price I would still be on the Shimano, but all the motors out there are good ?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I’ve just queued for 30 minutes to be told that as the bike I want to ride is out I just have to wait and they can’t take my details or put me on a waiting list.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
I’ve just queued for 30 minutes to be told that as the bike I want to ride is out I just have to wait and they can’t take my details or put me on a waiting list.

What a shame I hope you get to ride it as I am looking forward to see what you think to it :)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I finally got a bike at 11:30...
What a shame I hope you get to ride it as I am looking forward to see what you think to it :)
I am also very curious to hear his opinion after he waited for so long to finally test it.
I initially tested a Large Decoy.

Once you actually get a bike the operation is pretty slick; they've got set-up stations to set the sag and seat height and charts to set the damping.

Because of time restrictions (you only get the bike for an hour) I decided to ride a bit of easy Blue Trail, some off-piste singletrack, the cracking final descent of the Verderers and a couple of DH trails.

The large felt a little "tall", even though the seat height was set correctly and I ended up lowering the dropper about an inch to get comfortable on the bike. The bike was more maneuverable than my Trek but still felt stable although I'm not completely sold on the 29er front wheel.

I then queued again. For 2.5 hours...

This time I took out a medium. I asked them to set the shock the same as the Large but to drop the pressure in the forks a bit so went out with about 30% sag instead of 25%.
I immediately felt happier on the Medium; seeming to be in, rather than on, the bike. It was poppier too and easier to throw about.

I Strava'd both rides and the bikes were surprisingly close, but the Med was consistently faster, although not significantly faster than my Trek.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
5'9"(and a quarter...)

I was talking to one of the YT guys and he echoed what I was saying. Everyone was telling him to ride L but he was more comfortable on a M.
I rode with a guy who is 6'5". He took out a XXL and said it felt too long, but his current bike is 2004 Bullet.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Not sure i like the idea of having to wait till end of year for 700 battery and the fact thats its reported to hang out more ☹

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
An extra bank of cells will only add 21mm max to the battery pack, less if they're nested. I'm disappointed it's going to take so long to bring it to market, but I'd rather they tested it properly rather than rushed it.

Kite boarder

May 3, 2019
Midlands
I also went to the demo day. I went to see the setup Thursday night and had a hour with the rolling circus lads they let me try the large and the xl for size but not ride them. when having a chat I spoke to the head of the operation, one of the questions I asked him was about the battery when is the 700 battery available. His answer was the press have it totally wrong its not available till early next year.
I arrived on Friday at 7.30 second in line and took out the XL Pro Race out for the hour and was blown away with it loved it.. I then got in the line for a another four hours and took the Large Pro Race out to to check I had the right size. My thoughts are the Large was bit more playful than the XL but I thought the cockpit was small so I Come to there conclusion the XL is the right size for me. I am 5,11. but thoroughly enjoyed the experience now I am contemplating getting my credit card out or carry on test riding other bikes

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
5'9"(and a quarter...)

I was talking to one of the YT guys and he echoed what I was saying. Everyone was telling him to ride L but he was more comfortable on a M.
I rode with a guy who is 6'5". He took out a XXL and said it felt too long, but his current bike is 2004 Bullet.

Thanks!

AdH

Feb 2, 2019
Mustang
Now you have me wondering if I have done the wrong thing going for a XL Decoy as the numbers looked nearest to my large Wreckoning ?
I’ve a large Wreckoning and decided on a large Decoy, but I was very tempted by the XL. I’m 5.11 with long arms. Hope I’ve done the right thing, my gut instinct tells me it’ll be the right choice

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
I’ve a large Wreckoning and decided on a large Decoy, but I was very tempted by the XL. I’m 5.11 with long arms. Hope I’ve done the right thing, my gut instinct tells me it’ll be the right choice

I’m the other way to you, long torso & shorter limbs and 6’1”.
Guess we’ll find out soon enough!
I emailed YT to see if I could change to a large. The response was I’d need to cancel my current order then order another at the back of the queue.
Decided to see how the XL is when it arrives and if necessary return it.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Would be cool if anyone attending could get some photos of the settings charts and post them??
I asked about them today. They are a work in progress but will be on the website eventually.

The Fox settings were pretty good, if a little stiff, but the RS settings were way off for someone of my weight. The Sheet suggested 140psi in the forks and 220psi in the shock. Way too hard and way too soft. Ended up on 110psi in the forks (which I think was still too high; I run 105psi on my Trek) and 285psi :eek: on the shock.

I went back today to try the Decoy Base as it's the one my wallet wants me to buy. I had to ride a Large as that was the only size they bought and I still think it's too tall. I preferred the analogue shifting over the Di2 but the RS suspension was a big letdown after the Fox Factory of the Race Pro. It was so harsh I actually had to stop two thirds of the way down a descent as I couldn't feel my hands or use the brakes with any sort of finesse (not that I've got much finesse in the first place...) I have Yari forks on my Trek and they feel much nicer than the ones fitted to the Decoy.

I'm a little concerned over the amount of cosmetic damage that was obvious on the Base bike. I noticed a small blemish on one of the Pro Race bikes I rode yesterday but that was apparently a loading accident. The lovely bright red trim on the Base had loads of stone chips on the chainstays and a big deep scratch on the top tube.

EDIT: The brakes on the Base were definitely weaker than those on the Pro Race.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Good to hear they are going to post the settings.

Odd about the Rockshox suspension feeling harsh and giving arm pump over the Fox stuff. The guys I ride with who have had recent Fox Factory forks have moaned no end and are in the process of switching. Has me a bit nervous as I haven’t run a Fox fork before.....

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
IME the best possible shock for a highly progressive LR bike is a simple DH coil shock that’s valved for the riders weight, style and terrain. That’s why I’ve got a $250 bomerber CR over at avalanche being tuned for my base model. The yari fork is also a great chassis for a drop in damper. It’s stiffer and less creaky than fox. I’ve got an avalanche damper and Vorsprung smashpot on the way for it. All in its $1000 in suspension upgrades, but will absolutely blow the fox factory stuff out of the water.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Were you guys physically standing in line
Yes. There was no reservation system, it was a first come, first served and if you wandered off you were at the back of the queue again. As I found out to my cost on Saturday.

It was the only letdown of the weekend, a simple wishlist system would have helped and kept the brats away if it was limited to one reserved bike per person.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Now imagine being in the queue behind a snot-nosed brat who's waiting for a Large Decoy but takes the Medium because it became ready 5 minutes before the Large...

Reactions: Dax

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I'd have talked him out of taking the Medium... If I hadn't already talked him out of the queue completely while waiting ;)

Reactions: Dax

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
He had Mummy with him, so stuffing him head first into the recycling wasn't an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles