Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Someone was asking about frame bump stops from forks hitting the frame. Here’s the pic.

View attachment 12726
Thanks Rob.

I was asking if the fork top caps/crown actually conracted the downtube. i guess if they've fitted a physical bump stop AND a knockblock headset there must be some contact.

If so this makes me a little sad.

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
Thanks Rob.

I was asking if the fork top caps/crown actually conracted the downtube. i guess if they've fitted a physical bump stop AND a knockblock headset there must be some contact.

If so this makes me a little sad.

Gary

We shall see when the bikes arrive. My take on bump stops on ebikes is two-fold. Firstly they stop a full handlebar spin from occurring when steering lock is hard over AND power applied. Easily done, especially in tech riding and with the torque pushing the front end.

Secondly, they might well stop top caps/forks from striking the fat battery engorged down-tube.

What’s your sadness? Is it because you can’t spin the bars 360 when you get max air off a jump? ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
They have one purpose, on any bike they are fitted to, and that is to stop the fork crown hitting the downtube on bikes where the design means this might be an issue - I have never felt on the Shimano motor that the torque might effect the steering in any way!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
@Jedipip Yeah mate. just X-Ups and whips.
That and well... I kinda have issues with rules and authority ;)

Whips aint a biggie.. but if you whip a dual crown fork hard enough you can use the impact of the bump stop against the frame to whip it out and straighten the bike up. It's not something I like to do but have done. I probably won't do it but if you were to I'm not sure how either the bumpstops or the headset are going to like it.

a full handle bar spin has never been a problem on any bike of mine. they all have long enough cables for a full X-up and it's once in an extremely blue moon when you have ste sort of crash that takes your front wheel anywhaere near past 180deg.

I've no idea what the scenario you're describing under power is. for one thing your leg is going to be in the way of the bars going too far.

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
Bit tarty I know but there was no Lyrik option available

My Capra is sporting the gold bits ?
I am not a convert to carbon rims or Di2. My aluminium rims have been battered from local trails to the Alps and Snowdon and I just read horror stories about rims made of plastic and carbon fibre. I need convincing they’d hold up to some meaty rock strikes.....
Because of one thing I am certain, this bike is going to be hitting everything!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Carbon rims and bling aren't actually a performance upgrade.

soz tae piss oan yur chups

Last edited:

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
charger upgrade for a Yari is £200 (and turns it into a Lyrik performance wise)
Push Insustries is going to drop a drop in damper or charger damper compression assembly soon.
1554771718539.jpeg

I’m probably going to guinea pig that while going with the tried and true Marzocchi Bomber CR modded out by Avalanche on my base model.

Fox Van Rc and Bomber CR Speed sensitive Damper SSD mods

#allblackeverything

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
You can also get this from Fast suspension, which I have heard good thing about

New 2019 V2 FAST Yari/Revelation UP 3 Way Damper Upgrade
Where did you get info on these? I haven’t seen any reviews. The Fast site doesn’t mention tuning the midvalve or rebound, do you know if they include valves for those in this kit? I know Anthony with Diaz Suspension Designs sends custom tuned rebound and midvalve valves with his Runt kit for yari/revelation owners.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I don't have first hand experience of the product or know much about what you can and cant do in detail, but there is a local guy round me who has one and rates it.

Its hard to get decent info on the Fast stuff, I was trying to find out more about their coil shock, which has a great review on Enduro Mag, and the tf tuned guys seem to rate it, but very little other info out there, and what is out there is mostly in French. Here are the few English ones I found

TESTED: Fast Suspension Yari Up

FAST Suspension 3-Way Factory

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
So the E-Sommet is going back to Wiggle under the 30 days test ride.
The Pro model has been ordered.

My justification for not spending another £1k is carbon wheels not so important on a 50lb bike, factory dropper would have be sold regardless as I'll put a 185mm Revive on it, kashima coating on forks is mainly cosmetic, not interested in Di2.

Then spend the £1k saved on a EXT Storia LOK V3 which is easily the best shock (both coil and aircan) I have ever ridden.

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
Push Insustries is going to drop a drop in damper or charger damper compression assembly soon.
I’m probably going to guinea pig that while going with the tried and true Marzocchi Bomber CR modded out by Avalanche on my base model.

Fox Van Rc and Bomber CR Speed sensitive Damper SSD mods

#allblackeverything

I got my Avalanche modded Bomber on order! Just waiting for Push to release info on their damper upgrade to decide what to do with the yari.

Another cool thing about the base model: I got confirmation from RS their e-specific Yari is exactly the same as the non-e except it has extra volume spacers and an E sticker. That means travel can be bumped up to 170 or even 180mm, if desired. The fox e-specific 29r chassis are limited to 160.

Levo Lution

Oct 10, 2018
Slovakia
It's really all just down to my own personal preference Dom.
Coming from DJ and old skool DH background I'm more of a #264LYF type of rider. Sort of the opposite of a lot of new skool enduro/trail rider with their super long super stable (but less nimble) bikes and riding styles
I'm 5'11" so not exactly tall and just don't get on with 29er mtbs at all. I can ride them (possibly actually faster in many situations) but I just can't stand the lean in the higher axle and larger diameter wheels gives when turning/changing direction. It's far more of an enjoyment preference than anything to do with the larger wheels performance in covering ground fast for me.
I'd also far rather have a mismatch in suspension travel (in favour of more up front) over less fork travel and a larger diameter front wheel. this also allows more scope for finetuning of ride height via suspension settings.

We don't ride "Moto" bikes (proper engine ones). they'd actually be worse for the sort of riding I tend to do and aren't designed to. I've always run a grippier front tyre up front. (since the early days of BMX) which means either a softer compound, more aggressive tread, or larger volume (or a combination of the 3) front tyre. The 29 front, 27.5+ rear idea goes against this thinking some what.

plus, as I said earlier in the thread. I can lower and slacken the bike by doing this gaining stability without sacrificing nimbleness

I hope this helps you understand slightly better where I'm coming from

Before anyone brings up Maes (#no_spoilers ;)). He wasn't using a rear plus tyre
He is making the most out of 27.5's smaller diameter for pretty much the same reasons I love 26" in the rear :eek: o_O

:unsure:
Hi, you are 5'11'' and ordered YT decoy size M? Just asking, because I am 5'10'' and also would chose M size according to measurements (although YT suggests L...)
I also read 2 different tests, both test riders were 5'10'' and prefered L size...
What is your opinion on YT decoy sizing?
Thanks

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
My opinion on sizing is old skool (and from an exDHer/DJer slant) so my choice will only be relevant if you're a similar type of rider to me.

I can't stand modern overly long reach bikes.
Add 15lb of motor and battery to a Loooong modern bike and they become a chore to raise the front end (manual), hop and get playful on.
That extra weight all central and down low makes the Ebike more stable than any non-Ebike anyway.

If you're not a playful rider and want an ultimate plow bike that chunders through everything and gives you massive confidence at high speed go Large. If you prefer picking lines, popping around and playing in the air go Med... I've no qualms about going flat out on shorter bikes (been doing it 25 years+)
Long bikes still jump well... they just feel and react quite differently in the air and popping (especially on steep or lippy kicks)

Medium sizing on the Decoy is almost exactly the same as my small (yes SMALL!) EsommetVR and I definitely don't want anything longer.
Neither bike is short. They're just not long by modern fashionable sizing standards.

[edit] Hold on. didn't I already say most of this in the bit you quoted?

What are you asking exactly?

Levo Lution

Oct 10, 2018
Slovakia
My opinion on sizing is old skool (and from an exDHer/DJer slant) so my choice will only be relevant if you're a similar type of rider to me.

I can't stand modern overly long reach bikes.
Add 15lb of motor and battery to a Loooong modern bike and they become a chore to raise the front end (manual), hop and get playful on.
That extra weight all central and down low makes the Ebike more stable than any non-Ebike anyway.

If you're not a playful rider and want an ultimate plow bike that chunders through everything and gives you massive confidence at high speed go Large. If you prefer picking lines, popping around and playing in the air go Med... I've no qualms about going flat out on shorter bikes (been doing it 25 years+)
Long bikes still jump well... they just feel and react quite differently in the air and popping (especially on steep or lippy kicks)

Medium sizing on the Decoy is almost exactly the same as my small (yes SMALL!) EsommetVR and I definitely don't want anything longer.
Neither bike is short. They're just not long by modern fashionable sizing standards.

[edit] Hold on. didn't I already say most of this in the bit you quoted?

What are you asking exactly?
Thanks for the answer, that is what I needed and hoped for☺
I just sometimes feel weird when looking at those suggestions about sizing when my body, experience and feel telling me something different?

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
They should just offer each spec variant with two battery options. I can see why brands sold in bricks and mortar LBS’ would probably never want to do that, but for a direct sales brand like YT it’s no different from any other option they offer (I’m sure they build up the bikes after they’ve been ordered in most cases).

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
It could be but honestly no idea if they plan to. I'd think that they'd leave the base model at that £4199 price and spec the pro / pro race with the higher battery (and charge a bit more).

It’s all new ground being covered off here. Firstly the 540wh Decoy battery seems to have a little more power than current standard batteries (cell design and spec, not just the extra cells). But here we have yet more exciting innovation in that new buyers of the bikes will get a discount upgrade option for the larger battery when they are ready; how will that work? a return-to-base battery option or keep it as a spare and have a huge 1240wh capability on a day out?
e-biking is genuinely more exciting to be involved in than traditional MTB’s where i’ve seen nothing truly new in the last 4 years or so.

It’s going to be fun watching what The competitors do and how Canyon in particular react to YT.

Surely Prices will plummet for the current crop of £4-5K aluminium e-bikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles