YT Decoy first ride review: A brilliant ebike with outstanding performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc

Jun 21, 2019
Switzerland
If anyone hasn't heard of it or has any questions about it I'm happy to answer them. I also have some links in my signature with more details on the LSS.

Googled the hell out of it but still no clue what it is :giggle: please tell me more about it.

AdH

Feb 2, 2019
Mustang
Has anyone received a Decoy with a Race Face lever for the dropper post? Mine arrived with a Fox dropper lever

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
That said I don’t think the battery range is anything special compared to the 504 watt Shimano and it’s at least 3 pounds heavier than advertised.

I still think the battery is special and I am not alone. These new 21700 cells are great.

22.2kg advertised in size small + 355g pedals = 22.6kg + larger frame in L = 23kg. I don't see where the bike is "at least" 700g heavier than advertised.

But being 100kg myself couldn't care less about the bikes weight :cool: looking forward to the heavier 700wh battery.

Mine was 53 pounds out of the box.

Borist

Apr 13, 2018
SoCal
Will the LSS work with the E-Thirteen Carbon wheels on the Pro Race Decoy?
If it fits it should. Carbon makes no difference. I was thinking about adopting LSS for Decoy as it also has magnet mounted in the disc brake just like Levo. It is very clever design. Hats off to the author

Reactions: 06z

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Pretty much all the new bikes coming out now are switching to a disc mounted magnet

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
Update and tragically bad news.

My 6 month old 1000 mile Decoy went to my LBS (Shimano approved) to diagnose an electrical motor issue in December 2020, speedo jumping to 20mph+ motor cutting out, then kicking in when speed dropped. Unrideable on any hills. Shimano UK got involved as LBS couldn’t diagnose from their software (see from about 19m in Rob’s video, this was my first little worry!). Shimano UK (Madison) did some over-the-phone and internet diagnostics with the LBS plugging the motor and software in directly to their computer and said the motor is at fault, send it to them. So we did. New motor supplied, Shimano asked YT for codes to sync battery, motor and bike. YT refused.

That’s correct. Zero Shimano capability to get the Shimano approved YT battery to work with a brand new E8000 motor. YT wanted the whole bike shipping back to Germany. YT emails have repeatedly stated to me that they DO NOT share any codes with third parties. Shimano are a third party!

YT box, YT postage and courier, everything sent in January 2020, 1 month off the trails. Then a long silent wait.

March 8th 2020 YT send LBS an email saying the frame is damaged and they are certain it was during the courier stage.

Frame is not deemed safe to use and it will cost the customer £1200 for a replacement frame.

Numerous emails, zero escalation within YT, total refusal to copy Markus or Stefan in to the issue and a point blank closing down on any questions regarding why it took 7 weeks to inform of the frame issue, nothing regarding the battery/motor issue. No proof of receipt of bike or contact/photos of the frame, box, damage or courier notes.

Deadlock was reached on Thursday this week (11th March 2020). Despite being overly patient and incredibly polite there is nothing, no goodwill (it’s my second YT bike). Nothing resembling customer service or bike electrical serviceability away from YT exists and I am left with a bike that has cost me £5 per mile to ride, I’ve ridden it for 6 months out of 9 and it is now, according to YT, scrap.

I’ve sent a direct message to Markus the CEO, Shimano UK are escalating within Shimano, the LBS is offering a Trek Rail in exchange for the scrap Decoy. This is why I was using the LBS, they need the business, even if it’s just handling diagnosis and tweaking. I did remind YT Service that the entire brand depends on its warranty and customer experience and that social media is no friend to a business model when it fails in customer service. That email resulted in a very strict response simply stating ‘if you don’t want to pay for the new frame we shall pack the bike up and send it back’. I’m not even sure the frame will arrive in one piece! It wouldn’t be sensible to send a customer a defective frame back would it?

Anyone got any ideas,? anyone in a position to ‘have a word’?

Anyone want a 6 month old Decoy Pro in black with a brand new motor and no frame?

I’m going to be a social media troll on any YT Decoy post if this sorry tale ends as it looks like it could.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles