• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

YT Decoy deresrtict using Redped and EBT app for Steps 8000 motor

Graham Henderson

Jul 14, 2020
Stafford UK
I am having great trouble successfully installing the Redped chip. I have taken the engine out 3 times and finally I'm sure I have installed it correctly. It is now communicating with the EBT app on my iphone but...
The assist power is only delivered for 2 second bursts followed by beeping loss of power and often a rasping woodpecker noise from the motor. So I conclude that Redped is not a solution with the latest motor firmware 4.7.1.
Can anyone help me with this?
I will email them, then send the chip back if they cannot provide a cure and see what happens.
Why does Shimano's latest firmware make it so difficult as to derestrict (a 25 kph limit spoils the offroad experience?!

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
My suggestion would be to use STunlocker to change your region setting to US, which will raise the speed limit to 20mph/32kph. This is easy and does not effect the speed readout or odometer. I have found the small boost to be sufficient to rarely be running out of assistance on most trails, small change, big difference!

Graham Henderson

Jul 14, 2020
Stafford UK
Thanks Dan, Good point it doesn't sound enough but worth a try. If they restricted some cars to 75mph I don't think may people would buy them.

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
Thanks Dan, Good point it doesn't sound enough but worth a try. If they restricted some cars to 75mph I don't think may people would buy them.
You can increase the limit further from 20mph/32kph by then using STunlocker to change the wheel size. Downside is that this effects the speed readout and the odometer/trip distances - but the plug in speed boxes like the one you have mentioned work by intercepting and changing the wheel speed signal, which has the same effects/downsides.

I set my limit to USA/32kph and then made the wheel size 9% smaller, this has allowed me to go a little faster again and corrected the odometer/trip reading too high from factory settings. Effectively the limit has moved from ~22.5kph out of the box to a genuine 32kph.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles