YT Decoy 700WH battery

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Maybe, but form the leaks we have seen pretty much everyone is coming out with revised bikes with the new motor, the Decoy is also at about that place in the product cycle where it will be updated, whether it needs it or not, such is the world of shinier brighter thing to boost more sales that we live in.

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
My "guess" there will be an update in 2021 that includes (disclaimer here: 100% speculation .. so as Frankie would say "relax" … its just a guess):LOL:

1. New Shimano EP8 motor
2. New Battery for such motor
3. Fox 38 forks (170mm)
4. New Fox X2 rear shock
5. New YT seat post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out in "left field guesses

6. Shimano brakes will replace Code and incorporate Shimano hubs (microspline) and rotors (rims .. who knows)
7. Slightly slacker HA (say 64.5)
and geo changes to match relaunch of Capra .. which is due next

Hey its April … what better time for speculation :censored:(y)

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
I called YT in the US last week and it is still coming. I am also disappointed it has taken this long but lets see what happens.
Hopefully that is the case. The stock battery is fine for local rides, but if I’m traveling anywhere I would want to ride all day and 1 battery won’t allow that.

Reactions: 06z

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Surprised they dont stock a 540 battery. Itd be nice to have a back up if they dont have the 700 ready for release

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
My "guess" there will be an update in 2021 that includes (disclaimer here: 100% speculation .. so as Frankie would say "relax" … its just a guess):LOL:

1. New Shimano EP8 motor
2. New Battery for such motor
3. Fox 38 forks (170mm)
4. New Fox X2 rear shock
5. New YT seat post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out in "left field guesses

6. Shimano brakes will replace Code and incorporate Shimano hubs (microspline) and rotors (rims .. who knows)
7. Slightly slacker HA (say 64.5)
and geo changes to match relaunch of Capra .. which is due next

Hey its April … what better time for speculation :censored:(y)
Hopefully this will be added to your list:
Room for a real water bottle inside the frame.

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
Hopefully this will be added to your list:
Room for a real water bottle inside the frame.

Haha .. you mean the $70 (CDN) Thirstmaster 2000 one I was forced to buy (since no other options fit) is not "worth it" :eek: ..

I agree .. lets hope other options are available on the new design so we don't get taken to the cleaners for a $5 Tupperware bottle that is proprietary in design and PRICE :unsure:

As far as an extra battery, I would wait for the new version to get released. You will see a LOT of 540W batteries become available. Just make sure you get a current picture of the battery health via the Steps app (y)(y)

simon221174

Mar 29, 2020
Nottingham
When the 700Wh battery becomes available! do you think they will offer it out to us Decoy owners at a discounted price? maybe a trade in scheme for your 540Wh?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
That was apparently the original plan back when the Duck was released, but it's been so long now I wouldn't count on it.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I bought mine with the understanding that there would be a discounted battery upgrade price. It was out there on the interwebz. Rumour?
I see the new patrol e6 has an e8000 motor and the battery is a 625w battery. Maybe thats an inhouse battery though

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
I bought mine with the understanding that there would be a discounted battery upgrade price. It was out there on the interwebz. Rumour?
I see the new patrol e6 has an e8000 motor and the battery is a 625w battery. Maybe thats an inhouse battery though
You buy the 700 for let’s say $900. Then I’ll buy your 500 for $600. There, you just upgraded for $300.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The patrol E6 battery is made by the same company (SMP) who make the decoy battery. It is one of their off the shelf batteries for OEM manufactures though, several brands use it including Mondraker on their Shimano EMTB's, and Norco

One of the interesting things about the SMP batteries is they do a 360wh range extender system for the Shimano motors, but wouldn't work with a Decoy due to the frame design. You can see it here on the Norco

Screenshot 2020-05-03 at 09.28.36.png

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Its about where the weight is on an EMTB, not the total weight so much. When brands wack a battery in the down tube and it extends nearly to the head tube, it robs the bikes of a lot playfulness, ideally you get the weight as close to the motor/bb area, as low as possible.

Its very noticeable if you ride similar weight bikes where one has the battery low down, and the other doesn't, in how easy it is to move the front end up and around on the low down battery bike.

From what I have read the YT 700wh would be a deeper battery and stick out the bottom of the frame a bit more, so hopefully wouldn't have a detrimental effect.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
The patrol E6 battery is made by the same company (SMP) who make the decoy battery. It is one of their off the shelf batteries for OEM manufactures though, several brands use it including Mondraker on their Shimano EMTB's, and Norco

One of the interesting things about the SMP batteries is they do a 360wh range extender system for the Shimano motors, but wouldn't work with a Decoy due to the frame design. You can see it here on the Norco

View attachment 30268
Extender would be awesome. 200w mounted in the bottle cage maybe. Itd be a nice feature on the new shimano motor to have an external plug in/dreaming

Kentish

Nov 5, 2019
Kent
Asked YT about batteries only last week as i was considering buying a Decoy and spare battery at the same time.

YT’s reply...

Good afternoon Dave,

Currently there is not a larger size battery. However this is something we are working on and hoping to have out later this year.

Currently we have not a set a price on an additional battery. But it will be out on the website as soon.

The new battery will go right into the frame and will not require to be keyed.

Do you have any further questions?
James

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Asked YT about batteries only last week as i was considering buying a Decoy and spare battery at the same time.

YT’s reply...

Good afternoon Dave,

Currently there is not a larger size battery. However this is something we are working on and hoping to have out later this year.

Currently we have not a set a price on an additional battery. But it will be out on the website as soon.

The new battery will go right into the frame and will not require to be keyed.

Do you have any further questions?
James
Thanks for sharing the response. And big ups for YT for responding with what seems to be a very honest answer. I’m sure they get that question very frequently.

Zero

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Fx1"
Apr 15, 2020
Midlands
I must be the only person who doesnt need the 700wh. Jumping and pumping my arms give up well before the battery does.

This is why I got a gravity focused bike...

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
I must be the only person who doesnt need the 700wh. Jumping and pumping my arms give up well before the battery does.

This is why I got a gravity focused bike...
As of now I can go on longer rides on my normal bike. I don’t want that to be the case. I think I’d be happy with two 540wh batteries though.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
No proof of this other than riding with YT owners, but is does seem like the 540wh battery give a lot of bang for its buck so to speak - compared to the stock Shimano 504wh batteries it seems to get more range than the extra 36wh would suggest.

Zero

Apr 15, 2020
Midlands
No proof of this other than riding with YT owners, but is does seem like the 540wh battery give a lot of bang for its buck so to speak - compared to the stock Shimano 504wh batteries it seems to get more range than the extra 36wh would suggest.
YT dont cut corners on spec so maybe they opted for higher quality cells. I read they use the Tesla ones somewhere I think.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I can milk it for 3+ hrs with a fairly even mix of eco and trail with a bit of boost. A few climbs around here i need the boost though. Found a tech climb trail with very little traffic that will allow me to access a fave dh trail thats melted out while the access road still has a couple feet of snow. Its mostly boost with some trail thrown in where i can to save battery. Not a ton of ez vert to gain around here and lots of vertical gain when its all clear. 2x 540 at the very least are going to be necessary, and thats only one lap at a few of the places

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
YT dont cut corners on spec so maybe they opted for higher quality cells. I read they use the Tesla ones somewhere I think.
It is an SMP battery, same as used by half the emtb industry. They also make the battery in your iPhone if you have one.

Zero

Apr 15, 2020
Midlands
It is an SMP battery, same as used by half the emtb industry. They also make the battery in your iPhone if you have one.
I have nothing to compare it to right now. Hopefully next week when lockdown gets lifted I can do some laps of the trail centre.

If i ever needed more range there is always the option of a small generator and charge over lunch. Usually lithium gives 80% charge in the first hour or so it's usually the last 20% which takes the longest.

One of those is about £120 online

Pabs

Jul 27, 2019
London
Both correct, Built by SMP using the 21700 cells that Tesla fit in their car batteries ;)

Reactions: 06z

Boros

Jul 6, 2020
Romania
YT answers about the 700wh batterytoday, 06 july 2020.

"At the moment we are still finalizing the 700Wh battery, and planning to release it later this year. Unfortunately, I cannot give you any more precise information at this time, but we will be updating customers through our newsletter and on social media once the battery is available."

So, it is comming guys.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles