YT Decoy 29 Tire sizing Eddy Current 2.8?

lxntxn

May 26, 2020
Denver
Has anyone tried running the Eddy Current 2.8 rear tire in the back of a yt decoy 29? Thinking that might be the hot setup for winter riding? It seems like it would have enough clearance... Is the rear triangle of the decoy 29 much different than the mullet version of the bike which comes with a 2.8 from the factory?

Last edited:

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
I recently ordered the YT Decoy Elite and have a "Available from 11/11" estimated delivery date. Making changes to to the stock cockpit and will be trying the Eddie 2.8 in the rear as well as the 2.8 Michelin E-Wild.

Just purchased the new 2021 Specialized Turbo Levo S-Works about 6 weeks ago and decided to replace the stock spesh tires. Using my Levo as a trail/all mountain bike since it has 160mm travel in front and 150mm in the rear. Going with Schwalbe Eddie Currents 2.6 on front and 2.4 on rear. They arrive this week so will add to the thread once I get some miles on them.

Levo is my 1st emtb and I'm loving it! My Yeti SB130 is collecting cob webs since I got my Levo. Also have a 2019 Canyon Torque that is a monster! I run Maxxis DHR2 2.4 on rear and Maxxis DHF 2.5 on front. Really like that tire combo for a clockwork bike. Nice balance between gripping power and rolling resistance.

One thing to keep in mind when deciding on various tire sizes is the internal width of your wheels. The YT Elite as you are aware has mullet set-up. Rear wheel internal rim width is 35.5mm on 27.5" diameter and front wheel internal wheel width is 31.5mm on 29" diameter wheel. I decided to run 2.8 on rear and 2.6 on front.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
According to the specs listed on YT's website, 29er model has 30mm internal wheel width (WHEELSET- DT SWISS H 1700 SPLINE, 29" x 30 mm). I would not recommend running 2.8" tires on a 30mm internal rim width.

Tried many different wheel size/rim width combinations over the years and definitely think you would lose advantage of having 2.8 tires on a 30mm wheel. Tires would set up with a more square profile and you wouldn't have good cornering traction.

Having ridden clockwork (analog, non-electric, push bike, ect...) bikes for more than 30 years, would definitely recommend running ebike specific tires. Demands of the extra weight and requirements of having a motor driven rear wheel require a more robust tire.

Fortunately more brands (Swalbe, Michelin, Pirelli) are designing emtb specific tires versus just beefing up the compounds and casing.

I was really disappointed with the Specialized Butcher/Eliminator tire combo that came on my Levo. Front end washed out and rear was not worthy for climbing.

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
Has anyone tried running the Eddy Current 2.8 rear tire in the back of a yt decoy 29? Thinking that might be the hot setup for winter riding? It seems like it would have enough clearance... Is the rear triangle of the decoy 29 much different than the mullet version of the bike which comes with a 2.8 from the factory?

my friend runs a 27.5x2.8 eddy current on the decoy rear and a 29 MM up front. Hard to see in pic but the EC tire is on there
681B23D5-EA20-41BC-949A-5D06E8AA09E9.jpeg

nickfrog

May 22, 2020
UK
I am not sure there is such a thing as a 2.8 29 Eddy Current.

Edit. Just realised there is. Must be recent as a couple of months ago it wasn't listed. I would try that, 30mm rim is no issue, the profile will still be nice, if not quite as optimised as on a 35mm.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles