YT Decoy 29 Pro vs Base

photocycycler

May 2, 2020
PNW
I am torn between the two. Wondering what the main reason was for those who went with one vs the other?

Is the base much heavier, YT doesn't show weight so assuming its considerably more than the Pro

Things I like about the pro:
  • Code RSC Brakes
  • Fox Suspension but don't like that its less travel and would prefer Kashima
  • Carbon Rear Triangle

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
I went 29 base only because there wasn’t a frame only option. And since I would switch out most the parts anyways, may as well get the cheaper one. And the travel is the same with both models. The weights are listed. Pro 50.9, base 53.3.

photocycycler

May 2, 2020
PNW
I went 29 base only because there wasn’t a frame only option. And since I would switch out most the parts anyways, may as well get the cheaper one. And the travel is the same with both models. The weights are listed. Pro 50.9, base 53.3.
curious what are you swapping out?

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
curious what are you swapping out?
Gonna put a dpx2 and fox38 once it is available. I have a spare set of ex511 wheels that I really like laying around. Fox dropper and wolftooth lever off my old bike. And I’m a shimano brake type of guy, so those will be swapped out for Zee/Saints eventually. Not counting the parts I already have, I should be able to do that build for around the same price as the Pro model out the door price. I’m fortunate enough to have connections in the bike industry so it’s usually cheaper to buy parts than to buy a complete build.

mikeyneale21

Sep 16, 2020
South Wales
Gonna put a dpx2 and fox38 once it is available. I have a spare set of ex511 wheels that I really like laying around. Fox dropper and wolftooth lever off my old bike. And I’m a shimano brake type of guy, so those will be swapped out for Zee/Saints eventually. Not counting the parts I already have, I should be able to do that build for around the same price as the Pro model out the door price. I’m fortunate enough to have connections in the bike industry so it’s usually cheaper to buy parts than to buy a complete build.
What travel would you put the 38’s at ? 160? Would you stick with rear travel as it is or would you consider bumping it up to 62.5? I’m asking because I have the base and am thinking about the same suspension upgrades

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
What travel would you put the 38’s at ? 160? Would you stick with rear travel as it is or would you consider bumping it up to 62.5? I’m asking because I have the base and am thinking about the same suspension upgrades
I bought a 170mm Fox 38 and ended up putting it on my Enduro instead. Awesome fork. I would recommend getting 160mm for the decoy 29 because the axle to crown (on the fox 38) is already more the stock, so going 170 might raise the front too much.

My Decoy got the Enduro’s stock Lyrik select at 170mm. To compensate for the higher front end I just lowered the bars by 1 spacer and installed a 50mm stem. Better than the Yari, and definitely better than 150mm, but no where near as good as a 38. (Yes, I could buy a 160mm airspring to get it to my preferred height, but it feels good and don’t really care to mess with it any more).

I ended up buying a take-off dpx2 from a Yeti sb150. I think this wasn’t a great option because the “Yeti oem tune” doesn’t match up well with the Decoy’s suspension characteristics. You are probably saying “duh, I would have told you that before you bought it”. But it was really cheap and worth a shot. I still prefer it over the stock shock on the decoy 29 base.

mikeyneale21

Sep 16, 2020
South Wales
Thanks for the info
I bought a 170mm Fox 38 and ended up putting it on my Enduro instead. Awesome fork. I would recommend getting 160mm for the decoy 29 because the axle to crown (on the fox 38) is already more the stock, so going 170 might raise the front too much.

My Decoy got the Enduro’s stock Lyrik select at 170mm. To compensate for the higher front end I just lowered the bars by 1 spacer and installed a 50mm stem. Better than the Yari, and definitely better than 150mm, but no where near as good as a 38. (Yes, I could buy a 160mm airspring to get it to my preferred height, but it feels good and don’t really care to mess with it any more).

I ended up buying a take-off dpx2 from a Yeti sb150. I think this wasn’t a great option because the “Yeti oem tune” doesn’t match up well with the Decoy’s suspension characteristics. You are probably saying “duh, I would have told you that before you bought it”. But it was really cheap and worth a shot. I still prefer it over the stock shock on the decoy 29 base.
Thanks for the info mate. I think I’m going to go 38’s at 160 and dhx2 at the same stroke length as the stock shock. Personally I feel the front end is a little low as stock anyway so I would like to raise it up a bit. In stock trim the 29 has a razor sharp front feeling but I don’t think raising it a bit would harm it too much.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles