Yt decoy 29 - 3 days old and broke

mikeyneale21

Sep 16, 2020
South Wales
Battery was replaced under warranty and now it’s all good. The guys at the mill turned it around quickly in the end and I’m very happy with the bike. It rides awesome

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
You do a cracking job mate. The videos look really professional. I’m a cinematographer and I’ve done a lot of work for most of the motocross manufactures and factory race teams. I’ve you and rob ever fancy a ride in South Wales when this lockdown is over let me know ?

Cheers buddy, filming mtb stuff is pretty challenging but we’ve got a good system going now. Robs just got the Sony A7siii which is just incredible. Nails the autofocus every time that was always the issue..

we’ll be sure to hit you up next time we are filming there, you can give us some pro tips and locations..! Hope you had a good weekend riding..J

mikeyneale21

Sep 16, 2020
South Wales
Cheers buddy, filming mtb stuff is pretty challenging but we’ve got a good system going now. Robs just got the Sony A7siii which is just incredible. Nails the autofocus every time that was always the issue..

we’ll be sure to hit you up next time we are filming there, you can give us some pro tips and locations..! Hope you had a good weekend riding..J
Sounds good mate. Yeah the a7iii is definitely a great bit of kit. Auto focus is really getting to a point where it can be trusted but I don’t use it as I have a Red epic and there’s no autofocus capabilities. Takes years of practice to pull focus with fast moving subjects like Mtb but it’s really good when you can nail the shot.

there are some amazing natural trails where I live that I can show you around. Some really steep technical stuff and I can give you a hand shooting Rob if you like. We are so lucky in South Wales. I’m also only 20 minutes from bike park wales. We are in lockdown until the 9th of November but after that it’s all good.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Jon (@TheBikePilot) has done some incredible work filming the bike shots. Mostly we are run and gun and filming on the go. MTB is quite challenging, ever changing mixed light, fast ish pace shots and like most stuff on camera steep gnarly trails look like tiny walking paths!!

We’ve learned a lot over the past couple of years having both relatively little proper videography experience; mostly that we need a shit load more shots than we ever actually think, and to get a 10 min vid with some banger shots take a lot longer than we ever thought!

but it’s been brilliant learning the process.

The Sony A7SIII should really as it’s a bit more compact than what we’ve been using and should help nail focus over the LUMIX S1H that wasn’t that great at autofocus.

Stuart Lillis

Oct 27, 2020
Wigan
I bought a Decoy a few months ago. It has been temperamental from day 1. I gave up on help from YT. Once you open the box you are on your own!! "shimano steps" wouldn't go off the screen. Fault codes 010. 020. kept coming up. finally "shimano steps" would come on for 5secs then go off. I put my mates battery on it off a Decoy Base and it works ok. I put my battery on his bike and that works ok. I did some measuring and his battery is slightly longer. Martini is spot on, there are differences in the frames and batteries. That is probably why the top bolt hole in the battery is elongated. I removed the bottom mounting bracket from the battery and put some washers in to lift the battery up higher onto the contacts. Problem solved. A new battery might solve your problem if it is longer! But until YT sort out the problem it will keep happening. Crazy having to do this on a 6k bike. If it where a car it would be a warranty recall. Hope this helps.

mikeyneale21

Sep 16, 2020
South Wales
Jon (@TheBikePilot) has done some incredible work filming the bike shots. Mostly we are run and gun and filming on the go. MTB is quite challenging, ever changing mixed light, fast ish pace shots and like most stuff on camera steep gnarly trails look like tiny walking paths!!

We’ve learned a lot over the past couple of years having both relatively little proper videography experience; mostly that we need a shit load more shots than we ever actually think, and to get a 10 min vid with some banger shots take a lot longer than we ever thought!

The Sony A7SIII should really as it’s a bit more compact than what we’ve been using and should help nail focus over the LUMIX S1H that wasn’t that great at autofocus.
Like I’ve said before Rob I think you guys do an awesome job producing your videos. They look incredibly professional. I can fully appreciate the work that goes into each video as I’ve been doing it myself for many years. I started shooting Mx as that was my first love as a former racer and I managed to turn my passion into a career.

Like I’ve said to John if ever you guys want to come to South Wales and shoot some content I’d be more than happy to give you guys a hand.
Over the years I’ve shot for Fox, monster energy, Yamaha, Honda and many others. Last year I started to branch out from action sports and started working a little in drama and was a cam operator on my first feature film which was an amazing experience.

I’m a big fan of what you guys do and as a recent convert from Mx to mountain biking I’m absolutely hooked. Such a great sport and the ebike is the best investment I’ve ever made. Your channel provided me with a lot of great information so keep up the good work.

You and John should make a trip down to mine in South Wales and I can show you some amazing local spots.

mikeyneale21

Sep 16, 2020
South Wales
I bought a Decoy a few months ago. It has been temperamental from day 1. I gave up on help from YT. Once you open the box you are on your own!! "shimano steps" wouldn't go off the screen. Fault codes 010. 020. kept coming up. finally "shimano steps" would come on for 5secs then go off. I put my mates battery on it off a Decoy Base and it works ok. I put my battery on his bike and that works ok. I did some measuring and his battery is slightly longer. Martini is spot on, there are differences in the frames and batteries. That is probably why the top bolt hole in the battery is elongated. I removed the bottom mounting bracket from the battery and put some washers in to lift the battery up higher onto the contacts. Problem solved. A new battery might solve your problem if it is longer! But until YT sort out the problem it will keep happening. Crazy having to do this on a 6k bike. If it where a car it would be a warranty recall. Hope this helps.
Thanks mate. They replaced the battery under warranty and everything is good. I have made a foam gasket from 3m which seals the battery and the frame so hopefully that will create a tighter fit and keep water out

mikeyneale21

Sep 16, 2020
South Wales
So good to hear two of my favourite things on a EMTB forum: Decoy and Cinematography!
I work in the film industry as a VFX Supervisor.

Keep up the good work!

:)

cheers
Leo
Awesome mate. Got to work as a cam operator on my first feature film last year with Harvey keitel and Malcolm McDowell which should be released shortly. It’s called “Just Noise”. Keep an eye out for it ?

mikeyneale21

Sep 16, 2020
South Wales

These are a few videos I shot for Fox a few years back. If you get chance take a look ?

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London

These are a few videos I shot for Fox a few years back. If you get chance take a look ?

Mate they are awesome! Was that on your Red Epic? Did you shoot and edit it? Brilliant vids. We manual focus most of the shots but it's an art in itself, great when you nail it though..Sony is looking like its going to be a game changer and we've been able to downsize the kit for the run and gun stuff down to a hip pack.

When all this craziness is over we will defo be down, be great to shoot together.

I never rode MX mainly due to all the faff involved although I would have loved to. I will look out for the film, which service is it being launched on?

@leocompositing Have you got a link to any of your stuff, i've just scraped the surface on After Effects and am loving it thus far...

mikeyneale21

Sep 16, 2020
South Wales
Mate they are awesome! Was that on your Red Epic? Did you shoot and edit it? Brilliant vids. We manual focus most of the shots but it's an art in itself, great when you nail it though..Sony is looking like its going to be a game changer and we've been able to downsize the kit for the run and gun stuff down to a hip pack.

When all this craziness is over we will defo be down, be great to shoot together.

I never rode MX mainly due to all the faff involved although I would have loved to. I will look out for the film, which service is it being launched on?

@leocompositing Have you got a link to any of your stuff, i've just scraped the surface on After Effects and am loving it thus far...
Thanks a lot mate. Yes these were both shot on my red and inspire 1 drone and I also edited both pieces. All manual focus as there’s no other option with red.

I started using a 7d and evolved from there. Camera systems are moving so fast and now in a camera as small as the sony you get an image to rival the big boys. The one think I couldn’t live without now is the red raw work flow. It’s like cheating. You can get into the edit and completely change your mind in terms of exposure, white balance etc. Took my 5 years to pay for my red and by the time I’d paid for it there was a new generation out but I still love the image.

If you and rob want to stay down for a few days I can show you some epic local spots and we could film a bunch of stuff. I have a log cabin out the back so you are more than welcome to stay here. I miss the Mx a bit but the ebike gives me a similar buzz with so much less hassle and clean up afterwards.

I’m not sure which platform the film in going to be released on but I should know soon. If you search Just Noise trailer you should find it. I was A cam operator and did all the handheld and gimbal work on it. I’ve got a cable cam system here that I haven’t used for ages so If you come down we will have to get it out and set it up. Get some amazing shots with it. I’ve also got drones, gimbals, lights etc. We could get a bit creative and do something really nice.
You guys kill it already and really appreciate the effort you put in to the videos. ?

mikeyneale21

Sep 16, 2020
South Wales

I also made a mx film about 5 years ago. I was released on iTunes but now the full film is on YouTube if you get chance to check it out. It’s called Fear Not ?

leocompositing

Sep 14, 2020
Surrey hills
@mikeyneale21 Some really good stuff here. Great choice of lenses as well.

I've grown up watching Fox Films (Terrafirma 1 and 2, Fly, etc) and those MX videos certainly takes me back to when my young self was ripping a dirt bike. I love the shots with the violin! Shallow DOF showing the beauty and size of the RED sensor.

@TheBikePilot That's great to hear you having a go at After Effects. It was my first tool for motion graphics before I moved on to compositing on features using nuke. I've seen some of the stuff that Rob has done recently (Orbea Rise) and the light and the graphics look great there. AE will help you on these situations...

Here's a link to my work

Anyways give me a shout if you ever get stuck in AE.

I ride in Peaslake a couple of days per week. Maybe we can meet up for a coffee and ride ours bikes one day.

I totally agree with Mike, you guys are killing it... ! Keep up the great work!

Cheers,
Leo

<iframe title="vimeo-player" src="" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mikeyneale21

Sep 16, 2020
South Wales

I've grown up watching Fox Films (Terrafirma 1 and 2, Fly, etc) and those MX videos certainly takes me back to when my young self was ripping a dirt bike. I love the shots with the violin! Shallow DOF showing the beauty and size of the RED sensor.

@TheBikePilot That's great to hear you having a go at After Effects. It was my first tool for motion graphics before I moved on to compositing on features using nuke. I've seen some of the stuff that Rob has done recently (Orbea Rise) and the light and the graphics look great there. AE will help you on these situations...

Here's a link to my work

I ride in Peaslake a couple of days per week. Maybe we can meet up for a coffee and ride ours bikes one day.

Cheers,
Leo

<iframe title="vimeo-player" src="" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Wow. Amazing reel mate. So so good. I must have watched the McGrath segment in terrafirma 2 a million times. Got to meet him and work with him a few times. Such a cool guy

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Thanks a lot mate. Yes these were both shot on my red and inspire 1 drone and I also edited both pieces. All manual focus as there’s no other option with red.

I started using a 7d and evolved from there. Camera systems are moving so fast and now in a camera as small as the sony you get an image to rival the big boys. The one think I couldn’t live without now is the red raw work flow. It’s like cheating. You can get into the edit and completely change your mind in terms of exposure, white balance etc. Took my 5 years to pay for my red and by the time I’d paid for it there was a new generation out but I still love the image.

If you and rob want to stay down for a few days I can show you some epic local spots and we could film a bunch of stuff. I have a log cabin out the back so you are more than welcome to stay here. I miss the Mx a bit but the ebike gives me a similar buzz with so much less hassle and clean up afterwards.

I’m not sure which platform the film in going to be released on but I should know soon. If you search Just Noise trailer you should find it. I was A cam operator and did all the handheld and gimbal work on it. I’ve got a cable cam system here that I haven’t used for ages so If you come down we will have to get it out and set it up. Get some amazing shots with it. I’ve also got drones, gimbals, lights etc. We could get a bit creative and do something really nice.
You guys kill it already and really appreciate the effort you put in to the videos. ?

Yes the Red's dynamic range seems insane! They seem the industry standard now and watching Peter McKinnon he said he had to re-learn photography :)

I think there's like 12 stops DR on the Sony and 20400 ISO still usable with some post processing.

Thanks so much for the offer of the Cabin, we will definitely be down to stay as Wales is just awesome to shoot in. We always battle with locations spending a day or so scouting..I have never got my hands on a RED either..would love to see one in the flesh.

I've watched all your stuff now amazing! What gimbal do you use on the Red? I've also got an Inspire 1 but we use a Mavic Pro 2 Zoom for field work. Got the PfCO as well off the CAA.

Rob really does the magic in the Edit suite, I'm just a camera monkey..!

Totally with you on MX, It's a whole day moving and cleaning it. Two of my friends have sold their MX bikes and switched to eMTB. I would say eMTB is 85% of the fun for 15% of the faff..

How was the transition onto A Cam on a feature? Must have been nice to have a focus puller..!

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London

Here's a link to my work

Cheers,
Leo

Cheers Leo, Like I say Rob is the creative with the edit!!

You reel is insane dude!! Have you tried Unreal Engine yet for Virtual Productions? I've dipped my toe into it and it seems the future..

I'm around all next week when the weather eases up if you fancy a ride? I'll fire you a PM..Amazing work man..Both you and Mikey are talented dudes..!!

mikeyneale21

Sep 16, 2020
South Wales
Yes the Red's dynamic range seems insane! They seem the industry standard now and watching Peter McKinnon he said he had to re-learn photography :)

I think there's like 12 stops DR on the Sony and 20400 ISO still usable with some post processing.

Thanks so much for the offer of the Cabin, we will definitely be down to stay as Wales is just awesome to shoot in. We always battle with locations spending a day or so scouting..I have never got my hands on a RED either..would love to see one in the flesh.

I've watched all your stuff now amazing! What gimbal do you use on the Red? I've also got an Inspire 1 but we use a Mavic Pro 2 Zoom for field work. Got the PfCO as well off the CAA.

Rob really does the magic in the Edit suite, I'm just a camera monkey..!

Totally with you on MX, It's a whole day moving and cleaning it. Two of my friends have sold their MX bikes and switched to eMTB. I would say eMTB is 85% of the fun for 15% of the faff..

How was the transition onto A Cam on a feature? Must have been nice to have a focus puller..!
You can have a play about with the Red when you come down but yeah the dynamic range is great and despite what some say it’s very esdyNot very good in low light but I suppose they have been designed to be used with lighting on set.
I have a ronin Mx for the red and I also have the ronin s for my 5d mark iiii. I also have a mavic pro and use it more than the inspire now. Great little bit of kit.

Up until recently the vast majority of my work has been either one man band production or very small crew but have started to experience the drama world where it’s very different. Opened my eyes to the collaborative process and was amazing to just focus in to one specific job. I was so spoilt on the film. Apart from the focus puller which was amazing the grips would carry my tripod and lift the camera on to my shoulders. It was really alien to me but an amazing experience. The DP has another few films green lit which I’m hoping to be involved in. Definitely want to experience that side of things more often but it’s hard as I’m having to start over again.

For years I was quite established in Motocross film making but things changed and I’ve lost a lot of work and love for the sport. It’s a shame but I guess you just have to move on. At least I have more time to ride my ebike which I’m in love with. I have to stop spending on bike parts though as i think the misses will through me out otherwise ?

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
You can have a play about with the Red when you come down but yeah the dynamic range is great and despite what some say it’s very esdyNot very good in low light but I suppose they have been designed to be used with lighting on set.
I have a ronin Mx for the red and I also have the ronin s for my 5d mark iiii. I also have a mavic pro and use it more than the inspire now. Great little bit of kit.

Up until recently the vast majority of my work has been either one man band production or very small crew but have started to experience the drama world where it’s very different. Opened my eyes to the collaborative process and was amazing to just focus in to one specific job. I was so spoilt on the film. Apart from the focus puller which was amazing the grips would carry my tripod and lift the camera on to my shoulders. It was really alien to me but an amazing experience. The DP has another few films green lit which I’m hoping to be involved in. Definitely want to experience that side of things more often but it’s hard as I’m having to start over again.

For years I was quite established in Motocross film making but things changed and I’ve lost a lot of work and love for the sport. It’s a shame but I guess you just have to move on. At least I have more time to ride my ebike which I’m in love with. I have to stop spending on bike parts though as i think the misses will through me out otherwise ?

Yeh mate I feel you. Drama and Film is another level. My bro works in Live TV Sports and everyone has their own little niche, there's not much cross pollination which is a good and bad thing. 1 Premiere League match is like £150k to produce. He's just teamed up with a facilities company to do this for 10% of the cost using current technology. They are all having to look how to downsize now..I got my industry decimated by all this and it's not looking like its going to get any better anytime soon so also going to have to pivot and working for Rob has been amazing.

Great to hear your loving the eMTB, they really are life changing and believe me the boys at YT will be so chuffed to hear that. They are a great bunch.

Really looking forward to meeting and shooting with you soon dude..

mikeyneale21

Sep 16, 2020
South Wales
Yeh mate I feel you. Drama and Film is another level. My bro works in Live TV Sports and everyone has their own little niche, there's not much cross pollination which is a good and bad thing. 1 Premiere League match is like £150k to produce. He's just teamed up with a facilities company to do this for 10% of the cost using current technology. They are all having to look how to downsize now..I got my industry decimated by all this and it's not looking like its going to get any better anytime soon so also going to have to pivot and working for Rob has been amazing.

Great to hear your loving the eMTB, they really are life changing and believe me the boys at YT will be so chuffed to hear that. They are a great bunch.

Really looking forward to meeting and shooting with you soon dude..
Yeah i'm really loving the bike now after some suspension upgrades. Those initial problems were a bit frustrating but hopefully thats all behind me now and I can continue to enjoy it. Yeah like wise mate. Just let me know when you want to pop down or I can come up to you guys if your shooting anything as I can travel for work and Im pretty quiet in the coming weeks. Take care mate. My mobile is 07737326625 if you need to get in touch

leocompositing

Sep 14, 2020
Surrey hills
@mikeyneale21 I love to hear stories when you meet famous people and they turn out to be great and kind people. Glad that McGrath was a cool guy, I've met some actors in the industry but I don't get fazed by it. It was a different experience when I met Greg Minnaar in Peaslake, lol! He's the GOAT and is incredible blazee about it and I made sure to tell him that!

@TheBikePilot Absolutely let's arrange a ride. Currently I'm waiting for my Decoy Elite to arrive, it's on its way and next week I'm planning to go for a shakedown ride in muddy Peaslake. Let's do it!

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
I made that foam gasket like you and it works a treat. No gap between battery and frame now and it should help with vibration. Top tip. Rode smilog Saturday and Sunday and loved the bike. Mega

Can’t fault it dude. Sine I done mine it will cope with anything now lol.
I was down there sun too lol was very wet that’s for sure

Reid Mayer

Feb 20, 2021
NY

Do you use a gimbal with Sony A7III?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles