YT communications, or lack of...

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge
How long are people waiting for replies from emails to YT?
I'm nearly at a week and running out of patience, especially as they already have my money!

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
How long are people waiting for replies from emails to YT?
I'm nearly at a week and running out of patience, especially as they already have my money!
I got replies within 24 hours . If you are spamming them about delivery then after the first reply they may go quiet.

Reactions: 06z

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge
I got replies within 24 hours . If you are spamming them about delivery then after the first reply they may go quiet.

No, not at all, just one email after the 'available' date to ask if they could give me an idea of when the bike would be ready.

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge
Well after an hour waiting on hold on the phone, I finally spoke to YT!

The Decoy base cf, which is 'in stock' on the website is actually very much not in stock and probably about a month away, probably...

The good news for anyone waiting is I've cancelled my order so you might get bumped up.

Quite disappointed as the decoy does look like a good bike, but I just don't trust they will provide anything that resembles customer service should issues arise.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

The Decoy base cf, which is 'in stock' on the website is actually very much not in stock and probably about a month away, probably...

The good news for anyone waiting is I've cancelled my order so you might get bumped up.

Quite disappointed as the decoy does look like a good bike, but I just don't trust they will provide anything that resembles customer service should issues arise.

It's a shame, they are in that unfortunate position that they've obviously been massively more successful than they expected. When that happens they need to be super clear with all their communications to customers or it will lead to disappointments. People generally don't mind waiting if they're informed and they understand what's really going on and that information is accurate. That information needs to be on the website. People ordering need to know what they're getting and when or it just leads to stress and frustration for the purchaser which doesn't lead to anything good for YT.

I hope you find something "Super Nice" as an alternative. The spectral ON is on offer at the moment, for me the Thok's look cool (but everyone's view is different). There's a whole host of other great bikes out there for you to choose from fortunately ! :)

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge
It's a shame, they are in that unfortunate position that they've obviously been massively more successful than they expected. When that happens they need to be super clear with all their communications to customers or it will lead to disappointments. People generally don't mind waiting if they're informed and they understand what's really going on and that information is accurate. That information needs to be on the website. People ordering need to know what they're getting and when or it just leads to stress and frustration for the purchaser which doesn't lead to anything good for YT.

I hope you find something "Super Nice" as an alternative. The spectral ON is on offer at the moment, for me the Thok's look cool (but everyone's view is different). There's a whole host of other great bikes out there for you to choose from fortunately ! :)

You hit the nail on the head there! If they'd communicated the delay, which they would definitely have known about, and perhaps not have the same bike listed as 'in stock' on their website (still, even now, which is just dishonest!) , I might have sympathised and possibly even waited.

As it stands now, I'm 4.3k down as they can't even tell me when I'll get my money back and have three weeks off work on from the 20th, which I'd planned to travel round Europe having fun riding my new emtb. That plan looks to have failed unless I shell out another 4-5k to try and find another bike, which is going to be a tough ask in 10 days.

I hope they do sort these issues out, improve their customer service and stop lying on their website, as their bikes seem really great when they eventually arrive, but for me, I'll never consider attempting to buy another YT and possibly not another bike from a DTC brand.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
That plan looks to have failed unless I shell out another 4-5k to try and find another bike, which is going to be a tough ask in 10 days.

It would be nice to think they'd process your repayment straight away, fingers crossed for you.

I guess if you want something quickly you're looking at store bought from stock, second hand or mail order with hopefully fast delivery ..

Thok MIG - EMTB Forums

The OP says about 3-4 days for delivery, no idea if that's the same now. If you order one and mention my name, you get 10% ON .. after 10 name mentions, I get a free bike ! ;-) not really..

I did speak to them via e-mail and they were fast and very helpful. But still just one of many options.

If it makes you feel any better, Batman had the same problem as you .. though you'd have to search the forum for that.

Last edited:

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland

Don't order a Canyon as you will have the same problem. My wife has just got her Neuron after ordering an "in stock bike" 5 weeks ago.

I suspect you may have trouble getting a good EMTB in less than a month from anywhere. suppose some shops may have stock but most now seem to order as required as they are expensive stock items.

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge
Don't order a Canyon as you will have the same problem. My wife has just got her Neuron after ordering an "in stock bike" 5 weeks ago.

I suspect you may have trouble getting a good EMTB in less than a month from anywhere. suppose some shops may have stock but most now seem to order as required as they are expensive stock items.

I'm not going to go with Canyon. I tried to buy a bike from them before YT and was in the process of checking out, card in hand, ready to go, and I couldn't fit my address in the order form (My address is unusually long and I've had issues before when it's incomplete), I emailed them to get them to call me so I could complete the checkout and they replied saying that just use the site.

I did get an email from Canyon a couple of weeks later offering to call me to complete the checkout, but had already ordered the Decoy by then.

I'm getting the feeling that some of these DTC brands think they're doing you a favour selling you a bike.

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
I'm getting the feeling that some of these DTC brands think they're doing you a favour selling you a bike.

I don't think that is the case BUT the fact that they are very popular means that you are not doing them a favour either. I think it is a matter of setting the right expectations for yourself given the modern marketplace. It is what it is, not what you want it to be.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Cant agree with that. Customer communications and customer service are paramount in any business but absolutely lie at the heart of a direct sales business.
Also there is no way I would pay in advance for anything that does not have a short and guaranteed delivery date. A returnable deposit fine....full payment..no way. I would demand interest on the payment you made if the company failed to meet its specified delivery date.
Clearly some of these direct sales brands have no control over their supplier leadtimes because that is most probably the reason for an inability to deliver the end product on time

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
You hit the nail on the head there! If they'd communicated the delay, which they would definitely have known about, and perhaps not have the same bike listed as 'in stock' on their website (still, even now, which is just dishonest!) , I might have sympathised and possibly even waited.

As it stands now, I'm 4.3k down as they can't even tell me when I'll get my money back and have three weeks off work on from the 20th, which I'd planned to travel round Europe having fun riding my new emtb. That plan looks to have failed unless I shell out another 4-5k to try and find another bike, which is going to be a tough ask in 10 days.

I hope they do sort these issues out, improve their customer service and stop lying on their website, as their bikes seem really great when they eventually arrive, but for me, I'll never consider attempting to buy another YT and possibly not another bike from a DTC brand.

With regards to them not informing you of when you will receive your refund, all you need to do is speak with your credit card provider, I assume you paid by credit card, and inform them of the situation and that you have cancelled your order, in most cases they will issue a charge back against the company in question which forces them to refund you within a strict time limit, paying by credit card means that you are, or should I say your money, is insured against such eventualities, just for the record I chose the payment in advance option, this means that I don't part with my money until they confirm a delivery date to me, this means that I pay for my bike 10 days before despatch and not months in advance as some other people have .

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Iv been waiting since Wednesday for a reply,on a faulty charger no joy font just keeps ringing?
My chargers not even got a sim card in it... won't even ring .. :-(

Ok .. that helps no one .. oh god .. I'm lurking ..

Just for future reference and so I'm not just peeing everyone off, the YT has a custom battery. But does it have a custom charger ? presumably not ? you wouldn't waste more money on a glorified laptop transformer if you don't need to ? Anyone got one with any picture or part numbers, voltage in/out specs ? plug types into the bike ? is it just a shimano/bosch someone charger adopted ?

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
My chargers not even got a sim card in it... won't even ring .. :-(

Ok .. that helps no one .. oh god .. I'm lurking ..

Just for future reference and so I'm not just peeing everyone off, the YT has a custom battery. But does it have a custom charger ? presumably not ? you wouldn't waste more money on a glorified laptop transformer if you don't need to ? Anyone got one with any picture or part numbers, voltage in/out specs ? plug types into the bike ? is it just a shimano/bosch someone charger adopted ?
The battery is made by Simplo and I am guessing it has a common charge plug/socket. It is not the same plug as Shimano as I have one of those.

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge
Iv been waiting since Wednesday for a reply,on a faulty charger no joy font just keeps ringing?

I had to wait for an hour on hold, just left the phone on speakerphone one my desk.

I think they're just buried ATM. The guy I spoke to said they were a week behind with emails(!). I think the demand has caught them by surprise.
With regards to them not informing you of when you will receive your refund, all you need to do is speak with your credit card provider, I assume you paid by credit card, and inform them of the situation and that you have cancelled your order, in most cases they will issue a charge back against the company in question which forces them to refund you within a strict time limit, paying by credit card means that you are, or should I say your money, is insured against such eventualities, just for the record I chose the payment in advance option, this means that I don't part with my money until they confirm a delivery date to me, this means that I pay for my bike 10 days before despatch and not months in advance as some other people have .

It came through the next day fortunately.
I wasn't aware of that payment option, I'd have gone for that if I did!

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge
It would be nice to think they'd process your repayment straight away, fingers crossed for you.

I guess if you want something quickly you're looking at store bought from stock, second hand or mail order with hopefully fast delivery ..

Thok MIG - EMTB Forums

The OP says about 3-4 days for delivery, no idea if that's the same now. If you order one and mention my name, you get 10% ON .. after 10 name mentions, I get a free bike ! ;-) not really..

I did speak to them via e-mail and they were fast and very helpful. But still just one of many options.

If it makes you feel any better, Batman had the same problem as you .. though you'd have to search the forum for that.

Cheers for the Thok MIG tip, I had a look and it looks like an incredible bike, the spec is a little down on the Decoy, but the geometry looks on point, and as it's only a hair over 3.6k I'd have a £700 budget for upgrades if I wanted to, or a spare battery etc...

I rang the UK Thok Point, FC UP Sports in Poole and spoke to Emma, she said it normally takes 4 days to get a bike to the UK and she's already on it to try and get me one and reckons next Friday is possible.

This appears to be the best attempted ebike buying experience so far, if I actually end up with a bike this time it'd be even better!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles