YT backup...

Trumpet

Mar 2, 2019
Stamford lincs
After receiving an email an hour ago from my LBS saying the proposed Levo I had my name on looks like a July delivery instead of this month, I've pretty much binned the idea of a Specialized. So, enter the Decoy. However, the backup situation worries me. Can anyone shed some light on what happens if say, the motor cuts out for example... Is it a return the bike abroad job every time? Thanks in advance.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Return to your local Shimano service center. My experience with YT has been excellent and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another, having said that, I’m ordering a Meta Power Signature instead of a Decoy. I reckon I’ll get the gen 2 Decoy when they’ve had some practice and updated the motor.

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
After contacting the manufacturer, they will set you up with a shimano rep which will coordinate the service locally if you have any issues. It looks like the YT Decoys are out of stock too. Luckily, the Tues was in stock, ordered one last week and it was at my doorstep today.

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
After contacting the manufacturer, they will set you up with a shimano rep which will coordinate the service locally if you have any issues. It looks like the YT Decoys are out of stock too. Luckily, the Tues was in stock, ordered one last week and it was at my doorstep today.
Well not exactly out of stock. The release date for the first batch is 5/15 for anyone who was lucky enough to order right away. I’m expecting mine on 6/5, hopefully yt delivers!

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
Return to your local Shimano service center. My experience with YT has been excellent and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another, having said that, I’m ordering a Meta Power Signature instead of a Decoy. I reckon I’ll get the gen 2 Decoy when they’ve had some practice and updated the motor.
That meta signature looks really good! The value is even better than the decoy. But they have the same motor. So it sounds like you simply think this first edition decoy will have issues. Is that right?

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
That meta signature looks really good! The value is even better than the decoy. But they have the same motor. So it sounds like you simply think this first edition decoy will have issues. Is that right?

I had my heart set on the Decoy but then realised I preferred the geo on Meta - there’s not much in it. The component spec is also slightly better value and they’re a similar weight. There is also a dealer local-ish to me that supplies Commencal and I managed to get some extra discount for a cash deal, meaning I also get local support.

Knowing YT it will be a top bike out of the box, but all manufacturers have issues, even with 2nd and 3rd gen bikes, so the last thing I want is to wait 6 months for the bike and then have quality problems - this is obviously worst case and I’m probably just being paranoid :D

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
Well not exactly out of stock. The release date for the first batch is 5/15 for anyone who was lucky enough to order right away. I’m expecting mine on 6/5, hopefully yt delivers!
I got a
Jefsy , shipped on the release day and took 5 days to get to me. I am expecting the same for my Decoy.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
So I had the SW e8000 left hand perch for Shimano steps on my commensal meta 650 b fail. Im in the USA so Shimano works either via a shop that has an active account with them ( most do) or you mail in the defective part to then for inspection before repair. I think in Europe there are actual physical locations for Shimano service issues where maybe you actually show up with the bike. Not in the USA. Via a shop at this point they are willing to ship the part before they inspect. This is a problem is if the shop is disinterested in a bike they didn't sell. Commensals is aware ( I made I clear ) and are developing ways to help you directly. But they actually now have a solid presence in Colorado with a new facility. I personally would only buy an e bike from a company with some kind of plan to get your bike fixed when the inevitable happens. While the steps motor etc is an amazing device , there is a whole lot of skinny wires and plastic parts on the handlebar waiting to impact a rock or a tree. Seeing that I am a believer in backup bikes so you have at least one working one at at all times, the robustness of all the peripherals is a new imperative on my next one. I even emailed Paul manufacturing suggesting billet covers or something to nukeproof the system.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
If say the motor failed ( unlikely btw I think ) I would pack it and ship it to Boulder regardless of the cost. Not going to happen if u have to send it to a place overseas.

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
Th decoy will be my 3rd YT. Sold my Capra for my current Levo, which is now in the shop for min 10 days getting a new motor. So out tmoz on my 2nd YT which I've stuck a wide range cassette on...... should be interesting.
IMG_20190504_174209_618.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles