Your thoughts on Rockrider E-st 520?

Joeyboy

Jun 18, 2020
Bl12
Hello,
Looking for a budget emtb for commuting and mild offroading in the countryside. Don't want to spend much more than 1700 English pounds. I'm looking at:
- Cube Aim pro 400
- Rockrider E-st 520
Any ideas?, Reviews of them?
Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
They keep adding to their range. The e-st500 has become the e-st100 and taken a price drop (hub motor).

The e-st520 is an e-st900 with a smaller battery (420) instead of the 500 and the suspensions not as good. There's a drop to a 9 speed from a 10 speed, but that's not really a factor with an emtb.

There's a mini review here, but it's more of an announcement than a review ..

If you were just commuting and doing fire roads, the e-st100 would tick most of your boxes and be the cheapest option. I had an e-st500 (now the 100) and for what it cost, it was a reasonable bike. They had some early electronic/water issues, but I think they've all been resolved.

Whilst the e-st500 (100) was fine for basic stuff, the hub motor doesn't help on the handling front if you want to get more adventurous, so the 520 and the 900 would help with that. The Brose Drive T is smooth, quiet and responsive.. Down the line, if you keep it until out of guarantee you can buy replacement motors from Decathlon.

I guess you need to work out if you want to pay the extra for better front suspension and the 20% larger battery. You can buy the batteries from decathlon, so you could in time just buy a second one and take that with you if you needed to - though it's easier not to have to lug a second battery around.

Joeyboy

Jun 18, 2020
Bl12
They keep adding to their range. The e-st500 has become the e-st100 and taken a price drop (hub motor).

The e-st520 is an e-st900 with a smaller battery (420) instead of the 500 and the suspensions not as good. There's a drop to a 9 speed from a 10 speed, but that's not really a factor with an emtb.

There's a mini review here, but it's more of an announcement than a review ..

If you were just commuting and doing fire roads, the e-st100 would tick most of your boxes and be the cheapest option. I had an e-st500 (now the 100) and for what it cost, it was a reasonable bike. They had some early electronic/water issues, but I think they've all been resolved.

Whilst the e-st500 (100) was fine for basic stuff, the hub motor doesn't help on the handling front if you want to get more adventurous, so the 520 and the 900 would help with that. The Brose Drive T is smooth, quiet and responsive.. Down the line, if you keep it until out of guarantee you can buy replacement motors from Decathlon.

I guess you need to work out if you want to pay the extra for better front suspension and the 20% larger battery. You can buy the batteries from decathlon, so you could in time just buy a second one and take that with you if you needed to - though it's easier not to have to lug a second battery around.
Hello,
Thank you for your reply. This will help me decide, I'm not sure about the e-st 100 though as it has a rear motor, I am looking for a mid-drive motor. Sorry, I only just found out that's why It was in my first comment.
Thanks,
Joe

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
... There's a drop to a 9 speed from a 10 speed, but that's not really a factor with an emtb.
I can confirm.
Now with 1x12 speed MTB's all around i thought it would be a problem that my Rockrider e-st 900 is "only" 1x10 speed.
I don't need them. Even 1x7 could work (as long as I keep the 11-42 spread)

alan_sh

Aug 3, 2020
Rochdale
True - I don't think I've ever taken my 520 below the 5th highest gear. It normally stays in 6,7,8,or 9.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
I never used the shortest 3 gears, so I changed the 34t chainring to a 42t chainring.
Now I can use all the gears. I found I needed a longer ratio.
Pedalling too fast and not reaching max speed.

Last edited:

alan_sh

Aug 3, 2020
Rochdale
I think 42t may be too big for the chain and it will certainly need the guide at the front rejigging. I'm OK with what I have for now.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
Yes, true, I need to make another chain guide. I think 38t is the maximum the original guide can handle.
The chain is ordered, arrives tomorrow.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles