Your preconceived reasons for choosing an emtb?

Varaxis

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2018
California, USA
I'm sure everyone had preconceived reasons in their mind to justify their strong emotional desire to purchase an emtb. I'm wondering if any of them actually were true.

For me, these were the reasons:
- To get away from the weight weenie and hotrod culture.
- To get away from the strava race culture.
- To get a fresh new experience totally different from my other bikes.
- To appease my curiosity for ebikes in general.
- To commute further by bike and possibly ditch my car.
- To get out more, regardless of my fitness and condition.
- To ride safer, factoring in exhaustion less into my line choice.

My last bike was a literal superbike. A Yeti SB5c, built to 26lbs/11.8kg. Valor wheels, carbon everywhere, superlight 220g SRAM XX cassette. It cost a pretty penny. It wasn't really any faster than the 27-29lb/~12.7kg 29ers I had, but sure rocketed up climbs if I we to put out the effort. I cringed at the thought of damaging the bike. I figured putting the money instead into a motor, I could ride as fast, but be able to use more affordable parts that could be considered heavy duty. I'd ride all the stock stuff to the ground and replace them with even more robust yet affordable parts. Alas, I am still tweaking parts on it. Upgrade-itis is a disease.

I still am comparing myself on Strava. I've certainly tried to cheat on DH and flat sections in the highest level of assist, and was shocked that there were those that were faster still. On climbs over 2 minutes, even Eco is enough to take KOMs. I switch to ebike mode, not to ruin the integrity of my records, but I do like the time I spend comparing.

Every bike I've bought was a fresh experience. Even changing tires was a fresh experience on a bike. Sometimes even changing the pressure, or choosing a different goal. If anything, the emtb has made the experience of my other bikes change. It sort of has spoiled me. When I pedal on an emtb, it continues to turn the chainring at least a quarter turn. When I pedal on my on my regular bike, it scoots forward then I feel the drag slowing it down.

I'm still very ebike curious after getting an emtb. I want to try the other systems and perhaps get a better emtb. I want to try both a long travel one (e.g. Jam^2, Kenovo), and want to try something that cuts the difference between a current emtb and a mtb for XC/trail purposes (e.g. 35lb/15.9kg 25-100W emtb).

I've done 40mi/64km on a regular basis on my normal bikes, riding 15mi/24km to and from a trailhead, adding another 10mi/16km of trail riding. I've only extended that to 66 and 4500ft/1372m of climbing (batt died at 54mi/86.4km). I didn't use a car much before and could rent a car or truck (e.g. Home Depot) if needed for hauling something big.

Seems that rides under 15mi/32km are not really worthy to take out the emtb out for. 5mi/8km rides I still take on my SS HT. 12mi/19.2 is a good range for my trail bike. I did do 200 miles one week, with 3 straight days of 50 mile rides. My quads started bulging to the point my pants fit tight after that, which wasn't a feeling I had since my roadie days.

Riding safer is a huge game changer. This changes SO MUCH. I can take technical sections with better posture. I can choose to ride well away from the traffic lanes on the road, take backroads, etc. Less worry about sweat and effort and exhaustion, allowing me to be a bit more adventurous. I've been taking detours that fill up the travel time I have. Everything can turn into a joyride. It's excellent. This is the big reason that has me having no regrets about my purchase.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I just want to ride a bike up a 2% gradient hill without my heart giving in and dying.
So for me,.. I don’t want a eMtb, I need a eMtb as I have heart problems. I used to be fit and healthy till my first heart attack, but it’s been all down hill from there.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Good thread and I can identify with all your reasons there .
A New Years trip to bike park wales and cwm carn was the decider for me, the second days riding climbimg at cwm carn was so hard I didn’t enjoy it .

I like ride with my daughter and boyfriend who are Very fit and fast and I often don’t ride because I can’t keep up .

I rode over 3000 miles last year on and off road but getting anywhere near the fitness of 20 yr olds ain’t ever going to happen in my fifties , I feel I have reached my peak off-road and the increase in road riding is getting a bit boring.

I felt the need for a long travel enduro bike but I know pedalling it up hill would be even harder than the current trail bike , hence I would ride even less.

I really enjoy riding in mountains , but a holiday doing hard daily mountain rides isn’t sustainable these days so I end up touring on a roadie instead

Basically lugging the sort of mtb I want to riding uphill is too much and too slow , riding a light hardtail is fine so I iether Taylor my rides to that bike or get help in the form of an ebike .

Hopefully the ebike will get me out more , which will increase my fitness , and off road skills, I realised I can still reach the same exercise levels without burning out on the big climbs , and if Iam tired I can also let the bike do the work. That was something I didn’t believe before i actually got a demmo and did more research
Agree with your strava findings , I actually equalled some of my best times on one decent at our local trail centre , I was amazed at how well the Levo I had on demmo went downhill

It will be nice to ride all day at a trail centre instead of doing half a day or less before being tired out

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It will be nice to ride all day at a trail centre instead of doing half a day or less
I see a second battery in your future...

In Eco mode my Battery lasts for 25-30 miles at an average speed of 11mph at the Forest of Dean. To ride all day there would require a second battery.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I see a second battery in your future...

In Eco mode my Battery lasts for 25-30 miles at an average speed of 11mph at the Forest of Dean. To ride all day there would require a second battery.
Allready got one , what motor are you getting that from. I’ve no idea on what to expect really but had hoped for more than that on eco

Varaxis

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2018
California, USA
This is the profile of my ride on which my battery cut off after 54mi/86.4km 4500ft/1372m, being relatively conservative with my usage (Eco mostly, trail/boost rarely). ~75% road though.

2018-01-24_23-06-43.jpg

Bike: Motobecane HAL-E (Shimano E8000, 500 Wh).

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Allready got one , what motor are you getting that from.
It's the Bosch CX with 500Wh battery.
I’ve no idea on what to expect really but had hoped for more than that on eco
So did I, but that's the reality I'm facing. :(

There's lots of factors to take into account;
  1. I'm a big lad.
  2. I ride pretty hard.
  3. It's winter, so cold and sloppy.
  4. I'm new to it, so may be relying on power strokes rather than cadence a bit too much.

Mostly using Eco mode on my first proper ride. 1 mile range remaining...
View attachment 119

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk

1. I'm a big lad.
  2. I ride pretty hard.
  4. I'm new to it, so may be relying on power strokes rather than cadence a bit too much.

View attachment 119
There’s some steep climbing there , are you riding up to launchpad each time? , that’s a push for normal bikes from memory Looking at your moving time nearly 3 hrs doesn’t seem so bad . That sort of distance somewhere like Forest of Dean in winter would be a days riding for most normal mtb riders .
I guess a second battery is the way forward , more expense ?
I don’t know if it’s the case with Emtb batteries , but I understand most new batteries need a few charge cycles before they give thier full capacity .

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Last time i rode in the peaks we did 35 miles varied terrain , varied modes i came back with 20% battery left my wife who rides a levo as well came back with 45% left i weigh 105kgs my wife weighs 70kgs
They say weight doesnt matter on an ebike. I beg to differ!!!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Last time i rode in the peaks we did 35 miles varied terrain , varied modes i came back with 20% battery left my wife who rides a levo as well came back with 45% left i weigh 105kgs my wife weighs 70kgs
They say weight doesnt matter on an ebike. I beg to differ!!!

Was that just you or were there clockwork riders as well?

I was pushing pretty hard on that ride, a second battery wouldn’t have been used if I had one, I was knackered at the end of it.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK

1. I'm a big lad.
  2. I ride pretty hard.

View attachment 119
There’s some steep climbing there , are you riding up to launchpad each time? , that’s a push for normal bikes from memory Looking at your moving time nearly 3 hrs doesn’t seem so bad . That sort of distance somewhere like Forest of Dean in winter would be a days riding for most normal mtb riders .
I guess a second battery is the way forward , more expense
I don’t know if it’s the case with Emtb batteries , but I understand most new batteries need a few charge cycles before they give thier full capacity .

Yes, all riding, no pushing or uplift. The last run up to Launchpad was up the push up track and I needed Turbo to make some of the steeper sections.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Was that just you or were there clockwork riders as well?

I was pushing pretty hard on that ride, a second battery wouldn’t have been used if I had one, I was knackered at the end of it.
I was just me and the wife, terrain was a mix of undulating bridalways couple of very steep climbs up on to the white peaks and lots of singletrack, almost no road
the bikes we were using were 2017 models with 1.2 brose motor and 460wh batteries. I get a fair bit more battery time out of my 2018 model compared to the 2017 but it does have slightly bigger battery. My wife still beats me every time on battery usage even with her smaller battery, its got to be down to weight

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Yes, all riding, no pushing or uplift. The last run up to Launchpad was up the push up track and I needed Turbo to make some of the steeper sections.
Sounds like it’s the steep gradient , I guess the e bike is allowing you to do climbs where most riders have to push and it’s hard to understand how much energy that uses , it’s been a while since I rode FOD but I do remember pushing up quite a few bits , and I only push when I really have to . Also weather has been very cold , that surely must effect the battery , also if it’s charged in the cold isn’t good I understand

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The only time the battery is in the cold is while I’m riding. It lives in the kitchen the rest of the time.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Always found a big difference in battery usage if going round the same route with just ebikes or along with analogue bikes. Especially if there are hills involved.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Unless they are XC racers I’d expect that to be the case. I haven’t ridden with any clockwork riders since getting the ebike unfortunately.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
The only time the battery is in the cold is while I’m riding. It lives in the kitchen the rest of the time.
I wonder if there are any stats for battery efficiency vs temperature , I doubt the cold helps

Varaxis

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2018
California, USA
@Doomanic do you have your weight and age properly set on Strava, and also the weight of your bike? Seems to have logged rather low energy and calorie metrics. 140lbs/63kg here and spent 2700cal and 2400kJ worth of energy (strava estimates) on that ride total on a 48F/8.9C night. I estimate that Shimano's Eco mode adds like 50W. More metrics to factor in, for a better understanding. @ccrdave care to chime in comparisons of these #s too, to determine how significant they are?

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
well I dont do strava so no data from my rides but in the brose 1.2 motor even if the motor assist was set in eco to say 30 you could still get a supposed 100% motor current support. The 1.3 motor and latest battery tunes limit motor current in eco and trail to what I dont know exactly but to get an equivalent performance comparison between old and new systems the 1.3 eco setting needs to be set at 50% to match the 1.2 motor setting in eco of 30% and in trail old at 50 needs to be 70 in new for comparative performance but in the new motor battery life is much increased.
I have spent all afternoon playing with the Blevo app and now I am very much confused as the most powerful and fluid setting in that app has a 30/50/100 setting for the modes AND A ZERO SETTING FOR THE MOTOR CURRENT!!!
I am very confused right now lol!

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I also got a noticeable increase in battery duration by swapping out the standard heavy wheel set for a lighter set. I dont have any figure but there was a difference. I did this based on the fact that my wife get longer battery time than me and I assume its down to weight, making my bike lighter has had a positive effect

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
I wonder if there are any stats for battery efficiency vs temperature , I doubt the cold helps

It’s not uncommon with drones & electric RC to keep your packs in a thermally insulated bag during winter months to maintain the temperature. Once you are flying enough heat is produced in the battery to counteract the cold. Not sure ebikes draw enough current to keep the temperature up.

There was a guy on an early EMBN clip who had his battery wrapped to fight off the cold. Maybe something like those silver bubble wrap wine bottle sleeves might help for external packs.

JSpencer77

Feb 19, 2018
Concord, NC
I'm 40 years old and have ankylosing spondylitis. I've been having to cut my rides shorter and shorter over the past couple years due to my back. I picked up a 2017 Specialized Turbo Levo FSR last week, and I can't believe how much more I can pedal now. At the moment I just use eco mode, but it makes a world of difference. I still get a great workout, but it's just enough pedal assist to take the pressure off my back so I can enjoy riding again.

I'm unbelievably grateful that e-mtb's exist.

Taffyteg

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2018
United Kingdom
Great post. I used to ride a Stumpjumper S Works FSR before the Levo, but on climbs I would always be getting my heart rate up to 185bpm - I am 43 and in theory I shouldn't be getting my HR that high.
The Levo allows me to go the speed I want to whilst maintaining my HR to a more respectable 160-170bpm - regularly changing between ECO and Trail. It also allows me to do some climbs and technical bits that I would never be able to do before which is great fun.
I am loving this bike because it is allowing me to fully enjoy the trails, if it is icy, raining or snowing if I get a spare hour or two I will get out on the bike because I am just enjoying it so much.

Varaxis

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2018
California, USA
Hmm, could that be a new reason?

Ebike results in less intensity, more cardio, which is seen as a good thing? There is a scientific report that suggests that certain kinds of exercise, specifically cardio and not resistance training, are beneficial for brain health and cognition: Interaction between serum BDNF and aerobic fitness predicts recognition memory in healthy young adults

I suppose if you ditch the post-ride "refueling", you will likely have other health benefits. Especially if you cut out the alcohol: NIAAA Publications

I worry about such habits, especially if they result in cravings that have you eat unhealthy foods that triggers a high insulin response that converts blood sugar into fat. Going beyond negating the health benefits of the ride?

Just adding context to help the case for ebikes. Using scientific data as evidence to counter how people say it's lazier and less healthy to ebike...

Varaxis

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2018
California, USA
Maybe you'll find this one interesting too: Teaching philosophy to prisoners can help transform 'macho' prison culture

I don't care for jock culture. If I take a break from exercise for more than 2 weeks, I feel a significant drop. The time spent to maintain "rent" on fitness is too high. I don't ride for competition. I'm happy simply just improving my discipline--my willpower over fear and pain. With the ebike, I don't have to hold back on a climb, using reasons such as needing to preserve energy for the rest of the ride. I can essentially show up to blow up and rely on the motor if needed for the rest of the ride.

I personally have more issue with time inefficiency. Life is short. I'd think it would be a great improvement if I could go on a larger social ride with riders of varied levels, and not have to waste around. It's not totally a waste of time, as I get to socialize, but idle chatter rarely is deep and thought-provoking.

Also, LOL at that foot wear. Pardon my narrow-minded reaction... it just makes me reflect on all the stuff I've bought, that was designed for a focused purpose that lacks much utility elsewhere. Another plus for the ebike for not falling into this category. I will say that I highly respect core and dynamic workouts, especially over static isolation ones. I'll fit in a static exercise here and there if I'm not doing anything else though--started a habit of doing planks while brushing my teeth.

Last edited:

J dog

Feb 16, 2018
Essex
I convinced myself to buy an electric bike (Turbo Levo expert) after having knee pain and treatment on off for 3 or 4 years. I ride with a great bunch of mates all younger and fitter than me. I tried and still do anything to try and improve fitness, but struggling, and when my heart rate started approaching 200 bpm I thought maybe I should back off a bit. So bit the bullet and got the Levo. Because I'm riding with the group I rarely take it out of eco, funnily enough the only time I do is when mopping up the tail enders, ironic. I can now ride more often, for longer, keep up with my mates and have a lot less knee pain. Trails that I have only dreamed about doing are now a reality. Life is good for this 67 year old.

comtn

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
Colorado Springs
I'm at elevation in Colorado Springs and have a variety of hobbies so I never reach killer bike fitness. Suffering 60% of the ride no longer appealed to me so I made the leap. I really don't care if people think I'm cheating. I'm not racing anyone and just want to have fun. I now have fun 100% of the ride and don't need to walk up any hills. I could care less if it's traditional or not. The only people that don't evolve with technology are the Amish.....

PeteIOM

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2018
Isle of Man
My main reason is I want to ditch the car and public transport commute in favour of the eBike.

4 months ago ditched car and starting taking Bus.
Last Friday I bought a Scott e-Scale 740 (Bosch 500 pack) and this is my first day. :)
It's a 30 mile round trip. Road in the morning with around 900ft climbing and then 10 miles off road and 5 miles road on the way home.

Also a big lad.. 125kg and 6'3... Poor bike has a lot to deal with haha :)

Jun 23, 2020
Colorado Springs
I'm at elevation in Colorado Springs and have a variety of hobbies so I never reach killer bike fitness. Suffering 60% of the ride no longer appealed to me so I made the leap. I really don't care if people think I'm cheating. I'm not racing anyone and just want to have fun. I now have fun 100% of the ride and don't need to walk up any hills. I could care less if it's traditional or not. The only people that don't evolve with technology are the Amish.....

Reviving this post.

I’m in CO Springs. Riding a German brand, 2020 Bulls Evo AM 3. Rocking the Brose S-Mag motor with a large 750 amp hr battery. I’m excited to see the NPS, BLM, and Wildlife&Game bureau are all working towards integrating Class 1 e-bikes into everywhere MTBs are allowed (such as multi-use trails); that should open up A LOT of options. To be honest the Brose motor is so whisper quiet that I do ride a multi-use park near my house as I rehab a knee; I’m not sure anyone has even noticed I was on an EMTB. With all the long climbs in this area, this bike really opens up a lot of riding for me. I ride longer and my whole body feels worked before my legs feel blown out. Even after several climbs I have energy stowed to go straight into the downhills. For me the EMTB is an amazing combination. It’s the fun I miss going uphill from moto riding and the extra exercise I get on a bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles