Yeti Power!!!!!!

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
Shimano offer (although supply chain may change this) discounts to bike manufacturers to fit their motors to bikes (as they do with other components). Bosch dont.

Seems short sighted to me. If Santa Cruz had fitted the Bosch on the Bullit, it would have been the market leading ebike, they could have even charged more to make up for it. I am no Yeti fan but I would have considered paying the premium if they had a better motor, but with a Shimano, no way.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Thing is the motors are not just about outright power - for me the Shimano is still the most natural feeling motor of the bunch, that mimics how you interact in terms of cadence and pedal inputs to that of a regular mtb, and on top of that the Shimano is probably the easiest system to integrate into a frame design without having to make compromises which is why a lot of brands go for it.

If you are looking at making a great riding and handling bike, then the shimano is still first choice for being able to do this.

On top of this the relatively large amount of customisation of installation and component choice within the steps eco system - if I was a designer at SC, Pivot or Yeti the bar warts and spider web of wires that make up the Bosch controls would put me off alone from gracing my bike!

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
Thing is the motors are not just about outright power - for me the Shimano is still the most natural feeling motor of the bunch, that mimics how you interact in terms of cadence and pedal inputs to that of a regular mtb, and on top of that the Shimano is probably the easiest system to integrate into a frame design without having to make compromises which is why a lot of brands go for it.

If you are looking at making a great riding and handling bike, then the shimano is still first choice for being able to do this.

On top of this the relatively large amount of customisation of installation and component choice within the steps eco system - if I was a designer at SC, Pivot or Yeti the bar warts and spider web of wires that make up the Bosch controls would put me off alone from gracing my bike!

A lot of people defend the EP8 and I guess its cause they like the feel of it? I dunno, but with the worst power and range of the lot, I dont get it.

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
Reason smaller brands (amongst others) go for Shimano is that Bosch minimum order quantities are much much higher. And smaller brands cannot meet these order MOQ’s but can order smaller volumes via Shimano.

(Source: industry insider)

Real business decision making occurring...Go figure! (y):geek:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

0499EA7A-9FDF-4062-A58B-9551A8C0057F.jpeg

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Not convinced that rear linkage design is any better than the usual designs we see; I didnt really feel the benefit of the switch infinity either though on my previous Yetis…

That cable routing looks prime to be caught by a shoe..

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Six minutes in to this vid, being ridden by Jared Graves at the Crans Montana round

F731BA4B-5BF2-42D9-96AF-9ABFCE338E6B.png

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Not convinced that rear linkage design is any better than the usual designs we see; I didnt really feel the benefit of the switch infinity either though on my previous Yetis…

That cable routing looks prime to be caught by a shoe..
How often do you pedal backwards?

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
When most brands are trying to slim their emtbs to look as much like normal mtbs Yeti has decided to go the other way & make theirs look as much like a E-moto as they can.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Thats not production spec, its what Jared Graves wants to ride on his bike, and of course the team sponsors components.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
When most brands are trying to slim their emtbs to look as much like normal mtbs Yeti has decided to go the other way & make theirs look as much like a E-moto as they can.

Huh? :rolleyes: Please show me a full fat ebike with a 600+watt battery that is super slim and looks like a normal mtb? This Yeti doesn't look any different then every other manufactures full powered ebike.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Its just the reality of what you can do when designing around the suite of components from shimano/Bosch etc motor systems - bigger batteries equals bulkier bikes.

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
Anyone care to guess the final spec'd weight?

I'll go first - 45 lbs. :giggle:

If I win, I wonder if I'll get a lifetime membership here.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
22.6kg is my guess for the top end model, pretty sure they would have benchmarked the SC Bullit as it’s closest competitor

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles