Yeti 160E is outstanding (Video)

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
Interesting...

Yeah it's my first thought too. Sometimes when I'm trying to pedal up stuff that only an emtb will get up, I wedge my foot between a root and the pedal with motor torque overrun on the back wheel, and am very thankful for my 5:10s :)

Exactly. They've saved my feet on many occasions.

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Nah.
With your front foot heel down and rear toe down they should be braced opposingly and a lot more evenly.
Certainly not one leg doing all the work.
Can't be all on one leg with even pedals eh :)
Hungover me not articulating well yesterday. I don't drink often but when I do I make sure I properly regret it.
I hadn't thought about this though I just do it automatically, I'll play around with it, cheers (y)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
MTB flat shoes are stiff for several reasons, but if you've ever taken a tree stump to the front of your foot at speed, you'll quickly appreciate the architecture of an MTB shoe.
Oh.. Do behave! 😂

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
£12k. On a bike with an off the shelf EP8 system, when you can buy an almost identical specification bike from another brand, for literally half the price. 🤦‍♂️

It’s not even like you are getting the ‘premium’ support network, with Yeti’s legendary abysmal customer service (which I have experienced personally on more than one occasion). At least Specialized do something innovative whilst having your pants down for the price 😆

I can’t think of an e-bike I am less interested in. £12 grand. Absolute LOL. I’m sure the Surrey Hills will be awash with them being piloted by absolute wobblers.
Money is not a consideration for everyone. Have owned 3 Yeti's and found them to be very reliable. Been buying various products from Yeti over the years and have always found their customer service to be top notch. I decided to purchase the new 160e because my 2021 Levo S-Works was in the shop more than on the trails. First it was the TC, then the battery, then the motor and again th3 replacement battery. Lov3d the ride quality and range, Specialized jerked me around on endless waits for warranty replacement parts.

Reactions: Zed

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
great vid and review, just had confirmation today that my T1 version will be in the first shipment into the UK which should be this year :) Lots of winter fun in 2022 me thinks.

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
Money is not a consideration for everyone. Have owned 3 Yeti's and found them to be very reliable. Been buying various products from Yeti over the years and have always found their customer service to be top notch. I decided to purchase the new 160e because my 2021 Levo S-Works was in the shop more than on the trails. First it was the TC, then the battery, then the motor and again th3 replacement battery. Lov3d the ride quality and range, Specialized jerked me around on endless waits for warranty replacement parts.
Totally agree Zed re Yeti's had 3 previously and next to no issues. In fairness no real issues with my Turbo Levo Expert (which I have upgraded almost everything on) but Yeti's are rare beasts and worth so much more than the price of the components. IMHO of course and £12k a lot of money but I will get more fun out of this than my wife's £25k Mini!

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
They weren't the norm though, were they?

Don't become one of those guys who has to be contrary for the sake of it... oh. :ROFLMAO:
Thing is if people didn't buy these bikes they would stop making them, but we do so they make them and they become ever more expensive and I should add better. As with all things marginal gains are very expensive ones.

F4Flyer

Sep 30, 2020
Denver
If I ever sold my Pivot, I'd probably get the Yeti. It looks amazing. I have not had any bad experiences with Yeti either...owned the ASR-SL, the 575, and the SB4.5.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
New Yeti 160e T1 arrived today! Need to install Shirgura brake set-up, switch out a few components and install Ridewrap Tailored kit before I hit the trails. This beast screams quality! I am a Director of Operations for a composites company that makes carbon parts for jet airplanes and missile systems so I'm very familiar with carbon components. Understand lots of comments about the price, but that was not a consideration for me. Have owned a few Yeti's previously and am a proud member of the tribe. Will give an honest review once I gets some mikes on the trail. Currently have a YT Decoy Elite and owned a Specialized Turbo Levo S-Works that I will use as a baseline comparison. Have ridden my ruding buddies Santa Cruz Heckler and Canyon Spectral that I will all rate against.

20211111_140704.jpg

20211111_140804.jpg

20211111_140908.jpg

20211111_140839.jpg

20211111_140923.jpg

20211111_140839.jpg

F4Flyer

Sep 30, 2020
Denver
New Yeti 160e T1 arrived today! Need to install Shirgura brake set-up, switch out a few components and install Ridewrap Tailored kit before I hit the trails. This beast screams quality! I am a Director of Operations for a composites company that makes carbon parts for jet airplanes and missile systems so I'm very familiar with carbon components. Understand lots of comments about the price, but that was not a consideration for me. Have owned a few Yeti's previously and am a proud member of the tribe. Will give an honest review once I gets some mikes on the trail. Currently have a YT Decoy Elite and owned a Specialized Turbo Levo S-Works that I will use as a baseline comparison. Have ridden my ruding buddies Santa Cruz Heckler and Canyon Spectral that I will all rate against.

View attachment 75831

View attachment 75832

View attachment 75833

View attachment 75834

View attachment 75835

View attachment 75836
Fantastic! Keep us posted.

mfa81

Nov 12, 2021
Boise, ID

View attachment 75831

View attachment 75832

View attachment 75833

View attachment 75834

View attachment 75835

View attachment 75836
Amazing bike! I just wish Yeti would have spec'ed AXS drivetrain on the top end build on these price range as well as a nicer cockpit, would love to see the cables internally routed through the handlebar as well as a 2x 220 rotors. But other than that I feel like it's an spectacular bike, a friend of mine has one and he really likes it.

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK

View attachment 75831

View attachment 75832

View attachment 75833

View attachment 75834

View attachment 75835

View attachment 75836
Got one on order to replace my TL, hopefully arriving within the next few weeks so be interested to hear your thoughts. Also a Yeti Fanboy this will be my fourth. I see you have gone for the HXC1501 wheels I have the HX1501's on my TL and thinking of swopping these for the EX1700 when I get the bike. Also run Sram AXS gears on the TL so no doubt swop out the XT drive train as well and see what trade in my LBS will offer for the TL.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Amazing bike! I just wish Yeti would have spec'ed AXS drivetrain on the top end build on these price range as well as a nicer cockpit, would love to see the cables internally routed through the handlebar as well as a 2x 220 rotors. But other than that I feel like it's an spectacular bike, a friend of mine has one and he really likes it.
I have the SRAM AXS drivetrain on my Spesh Levo S-Works and Vado SL hybrid and had it on my last 2 previous mountain bikes. Running XT on my YT Decoy Elite and actually think the Shimano shifts smoother. The XT chain, rear cassette and chainring are actually less expensive then the SRAM AXS which is a consideration since emtb parts can wear faster even when you meticulously clean your drivetrain and shift gears 1 at a time (mostly). Absolutely love the AXS and considered swapping out. Will be installing Shigura brakes (Shimano Saint Brake Levers/Magura MT7 Calipers) with 220mm rotors front and back. Going with SQLAB Carbon 31 8 handlebars with 12 degree backsweep. For whatever reason, always love Nukeproof Horizon Stems and will be changing saddle to an Ergon SM E saddle. Running Deity TMAC pedals and changing tires to Schwalbe Eddy Currents 2.6 front/rear.

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK

View attachment 75831

View attachment 75832

View attachment 75833

View attachment 75834

View attachment 75835

View attachment 75836
Hi, have you managed to get out on her yet?

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Here is the final spec list:

Frame - T1 TURQ Series Carbon with Ridewrap Tailored Kit
Suspension - Sixfinity
Rear Shock - FOX Factory Float X2
Rear Travel - 160mm
Fork - FOX Factory 38 GRIP 2 170mm E-Tune with custom Yeti decals
Front Travel - 170mm
Shifters - Shimano XT
Rear Derailleur - Shimano XT
Crankset - Shimano EM900 34T 160mm
Cassette - Shimano XT
Cassette Range - 10-51t
Chain - Shimano XT
Brakeset - Shimano Saint Brake Levers/
Magura MT7 Calipers/Magura 220mm rotors
Handlebar - SQ Lab Carbon, 4-degree upsweep, 12 degrees backsweep, 30mm rise, 780 x 31.8mm
Grips - ODI Elite Pro Yeti Edition
Stem - Nukeproof Horizon 31.8 x 50mm
Headset - Cane Creek 110 Integrated
Saddle - Ergon SM E Mountain Sport
Seatpost - SRAM Reverb AXS 31.6 x 170mm
Wheelset - DT Swiss EXC 1501 Carbon 30mm
Front Axle - 15 x 110mm
Rear Axle - 12 x 148mm
Tires - Schwalbe Eddy Currents 29 x 2.6" with Cushcore Pros
Pedals - Deity TMAC Signature
Motor - Shimano EP8
Battery - SHIMANO 630Wh Internal
Manufacturer Warranty - [frame] lifetime
Weight - 49.7lbs

160E FEATURES

• Boost spacing and SRAM UDH hanger
• Uninterrupted 31.6 seat tube offers great dropper post compatibility
• Floating collet axles and pinch bolts on the linkage extend
bearing life and ensure optimal, consistent alignment
• Custom OneUp chain guide mount
• Mainframes accommodate a standard water bottle.
• Custom cable ports, captured hoses and housing and ribbed chainstay guards provide a silent ride.
• The frame ports are also configurable for clean setup whether you run cabled, wireless or a combination for your dropper and derailleur
• “Moto” brake compatible routing (Left Rear Brake/Right Front Brake).
• Tube in tube routing in swingarm for rear brake, speed sensor and derailleur.
• Rear mud fender protects motor and linkage • Shock drain hole allows water and mud to drain out.
• 630-Watt hour battery Shimano battery for hassle free worldwide support.
• Semi Integrated battery provides for hassle free off the bike charging
• Remote charging port on the non-drive side
• EM-800 full color display.
• Bluetooth capable for integration with a phone or GPS.
• Wire management in Downtube for ease of use
• Max system weight 130KG
• ASTM 4 rating

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
£12k. On a bike with an off the shelf EP8 system, when you can buy an almost identical specification bike from another brand, for literally half the price. 🤦‍♂️

It’s not even like you are getting the ‘premium’ support network, with Yeti’s legendary abysmal customer service (which I have experienced personally on more than one occasion). At least Specialized do something innovative whilst having your pants down for the price 😆

I can’t think of an e-bike I am less interested in. £12 grand. Absolute LOL. I’m sure the Surrey Hills will be awash with them being piloted by absolute wobblers.
Having owned a Specialized Levo S-Works and the new Yeti-160E, there is no comparison the Yeti wins hands down! Will give the nod to Spesh on the battery and intuitive feel of the motor. As far as riding characteristics and performance, Yeti is a much better all-round emtb. Rides extremely fast and very agile. Geometry is spot on and climbs as well if not a tad better the the Levo and absolutely shreds it on the dh. Albeit I did not have the new gen Levo, had the model right before they went mullet. Price of both the top line bikes is comparable. Never had a problem in 10 years with Yeti customer service, mainly since it never had any warranty issues like the 2 TC's, 2 batteries and 1 motor U had to replace on my Levo. When I did have to contact Yeti for normal wear items, received great service. When I purchased my new Yeti, contacted them to get detailed specs since I was swapping out some components a d communication was outstanding.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Fantastic! Keep us posted.
FINALLY got my Yeti back after receiving defective Ridewrap kit replacement and Shigura brakes installed.

Only have a couple rides and so far VERY impressed! Been a long time 27.5 wheel size fan because of the agility and absolutely love the feel and performance of my YT DECOY ELITE with mullet wheelset. Yeti nailed the geometry and it felt dialed in right out of the gate. Can't believe how plush and poppy it feels in the turns and when barnstorming single tracks, yet if feels super stable even on knarly descents. I think what has impressed me most is how well it climbs. New gen Shimano EP8 motor is definitely more powerful then previous gen and am getting good range from the 630w battery. Wl add more info as I get some more miles in the saddle.

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
Having owned a Specialized Levo S-Works and the new Yeti-160E, there is no comparison the Yeti wins hands down! Will give the nod to Spesh on the battery and intuitive feel of the motor. As far as riding characteristics and performance, Yeti is a much better all-round emtb. Rides extremely fast and very agile. Geometry is spot on and climbs as well if not a tad better the the Levo and absolutely shreds it on the dh. Albeit I did not have the new gen Levo, had the model right before they went mullet. Price of both the top line bikes is comparable. Never had a problem in 10 years with Yeti customer service, mainly since it never had any warranty issues like the 2 TC's, 2 batteries and 1 motor U had to replace on my Levo. When I did have to contact Yeti for normal wear items, received great service. When I purchased my new Yeti, contacted them to get detailed specs since I was swapping out some components a d communication was outstanding.

As you re-quoted me directly on this. For the sake of comparison. I have actually now ridden one of the new Yeti's, I don't own one, so no confirmation bias. I would agree, comparing to the Gen 2 Levo, it's an improvement. But then you are comparing a brand new bike to a one that's nearly 4 years old now, in a rapidly evolving sector.

Comparing to other current bikes, is it better than the current Gen 3 Levo? No, but it's very similar, albeit with the usual EP8 disappointment (poor BMS & weak/loud motor). The Decoy MX is a better & faster descending bike than both. The Kenevo SL is noticeably quicker again, but what you gain on the downs you lose on the ups.

Warranty wise, I literally have nothing positive to say about Yeti. Multiple QC issues with bikes & multiple broken frames, in a short period of time. The concept of having something that has an increased liability of failure over a normal bike would introduce a 'Falling Down' moment for me.

Price is of course subjective. For some it is a big consideration, for others less so & for some fortunate people, it isn't. However a bike that is literally double the price of others, with comparable specifications & no better performance, isn't in the realms of consideration, it's just weird. I don't just include Yeti in that statement - Pivot are probably an even worse example of losing the plot.

Prices of halo products are always expensive. But when your halo product is 25% more expensive than a Levo Pro, with a worse spec, then regardless, it's just poor value. And that doesn't matter how much money you have, you are being taken for a ride.

But, if you like it, that's all that matters :)

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
As you re-quoted me directly on this. For the sake of comparison. I have actually now ridden one of the new Yeti's, I don't own one, so no confirmation bias. I would agree, comparing to the Gen 2 Levo, it's an improvement. But then you are comparing a brand new bike to a one that's nearly 4 years old now, in a rapidly evolving sector.

Comparing to other current bikes, is it better than the current Gen 3 Levo? No, but it's very similar, albeit with the usual EP8 disappointment (poor BMS & weak/loud motor). The Decoy MX is a better & faster descending bike than both. The Kenevo SL is noticeably quicker again, but what you gain on the downs you lose on the ups.

Warranty wise, I literally have nothing positive to say about Yeti. Multiple QC issues with bikes & multiple broken frames, in a short period of time. The concept of having something that has an increased liability of failure over a normal bike would introduce a 'Falling Down' moment for me.

Price is of course subjective. For some it is a big consideration, for others less so & for some fortunate people, it isn't. However a bike that is literally double the price of others, with comparable specifications & no better performance, isn't in the realms of consideration, it's just weird. I don't just include Yeti in that statement - Pivot are probably an even worse example of losing the plot.

Prices of halo products are always expensive. But when your halo product is 25% more expensive than a Levo Pro, with a worse spec, then regardless, it's just poor value. And that doesn't matter how much money you have, you are being taken for a ride.

Not a Yeti fan then :)

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA

Nice to see your response. My intent was not to offend and I don't think you inferred it that way. Really enjoy reading all the different perspectives on this forum. Seems like we all have had different levels of customer service and satisfaction with our bikes. I actually spent an additional $2K in upgrades to get my Yeti just the way I like it. In all honesty, wish they would have used a better battery/motor combo. I usually switch my bikes out every 2 years and will be anxious to see advancements in technology over the coming years! Happy Trails!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles