Yeti 160E is outstanding (Video)

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Lovely bike.
Things are moving on quickly.

My mate has just got a 2022 Cube and it's so nicely made and finished generally that is makes my 2020 Kona feel like an old klunker.

And his Cube is the cheaper end of the range at £4,000.

Plus the Bosch motor wipes the floor with my E8000.
lt will hit the 15.5mph limiter going up a steep hill with ease, where mine won't get past 14mph on the same hill even with me giving it some effort as well.

His battery is 675Wh so he gets about 25% more range than my Shimano 504Wh.

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
£12k. On a bike with an off the shelf EP8 system, when you can buy an almost identical specification bike from another brand, for literally half the price. 🤦‍♂️

It’s not even like you are getting the ‘premium’ support network, with Yeti’s legendary abysmal customer service (which I have experienced personally on more than one occasion). At least Specialized do something innovative whilst having your pants down for the price 😆

I can’t think of an e-bike I am less interested in. £12 grand. Absolute LOL. I’m sure the Surrey Hills will be awash with them being piloted by absolute wobblers.

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
£12k. On a bike with an off the shelf EP8 system, when you can buy an almost identical specification bike from another brand, for literally half the price. 🤦‍♂️

It’s not even like you are getting the ‘premium’ support network, with Yeti’s legendary abysmal customer service (which I have experienced personally on more than one occasion). At least Specialized do something innovative whilst having your pants down for the price 😆

I can’t think of an e-bike I am less interested in. £12 grand. Absolute LOL. I’m sure the Surrey Hills will be awash with them being piloted by absolute wobblers.

c'mon, that linkage has got to be worth 6k of anyone's money. 🤷‍♂️

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
c'mon, that linkage has got to be worth 6k of anyone's money. 🤷‍♂️
I'm thinking of setting up a new bike brand. Assuming I can get components in this day and age ..

I thought something downhill orientated , brand called "BeaVer" .. (with an 8 point linkage)

£15k minimum ..

Tag line something like "It loves you going down on it".

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent

You can spend similar on a top spec bullit with the same motor.

2C9B2FAE-2B00-4808-B581-94C783D2B4DC.png

I love the look of the yeti, and the bullit but I’d have reservations on both due to the shimano too.

And the £12k price tags 😆

But these prices are normal now. Crazy high but normal for all brands flagship e bikes

Rich the gasman

E*POWAH Master
May 4, 2019
North east
Stunning, but the pricing is just mental, the industry is pricing people out of the market ( people saying a 5k bike is now cheap ffs) and there putting people in debt with finance (which is how most these bikes are bought these days) which could cause major problems long term For buyers both mentally and financially.

im sure I read somewhere that during the E Ews maes used more batteries than other brand motors. from mates who’ve had yetis there customer service is known for being poor and top enduro bikes falling, still one of the nicest looking eebs and I like the fact is 29 front and rear.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Putting aside that you can get similarly specced bikes from more mass market brands for a lot less (but when has that not always been the case in the bike industry?) I don't see any issue with the price, if you wan't a high end carbon EMTB from a high end manufacturer thats what you are going to pay now, and if you have the money fair play.

If you are buying a Yeti you are likely buying it because its a Yeti. Same goes with a Santa Cruz or a Pivot - I cant for the life of me see any reason to buy a SC or Pivot EMTB given what else you can get in the market, unless you want an SC or a Pivot.

For me its far more of an issue that the more basic EMTB's have gone up so much, and raised the reasonable point of entry to EMTB ownership.

What is interesting with the Yeti, is that I cant think of many, if any full 29'r long travel full fat EMTB's that offer something similar? Correct me if I am wrong but most similar bikes have less balanced geo, or are a mullet, and weigh a lot more.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I also cannot find another 29er (full fat) with 160mm plus travel when I took a quick look... Its hard to fit all that travel in there in all frame sizes.
There are the Scott ERIDE 910, Mondraker Level RR and the Focus Sam2 which are iirc 170/180 and 29 but alloy and come in at over 25kg.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Levo S-Works is £13K
Trek Rail 9.9 AXS is £12.5K
Top end Yeti is £11.9K
It slots in to the extreme priced ebikes.

They're all a SHIT load of money.
Spesh started this with their fucking insane pricing model and the boutique brands have all decided they want a piece of it and prices are only ever going to go up. I hope my Rail lasts a good long while because I can't see me being able to afford even an entry level bike in a couple of years at this rate. 🤬

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
There are the Scott ERIDE 910, Mondraker Level RR and the Focus Sam2 which are iirc 170/180 and 29 but alloy and come in at over 25kg.
Would be interesting to see how it rides back to back against the 2022 Mondrakers ? (750wh/29")

Crafty R 25.1 kg
Crafty RR 24.9 kg
Crafty XR 24.9 kg
Crafty Carbon R 23.7 kg
Crafty Carbon RR 23.3 kg
Crafty Carbon RR SL 21.1 kg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The Crafty’s are shorter travel though - really they are a direct rival for the Rail/Levo.

Setting aside the price, the geo and travel of the Yeti is a good sweet spot for UK riding IMO.

For me the most natural Rival for it is the Megawatt, though it’s a Mullet

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Spesh started this with their fucking insane pricing model and the boutique brands have all decided they want a piece of it and prices are only ever going to go up. I hope my Rail lasts a good long while because I can't see me being able to afford even an entry level bike in a couple of years at this rate. 🤬

But at the same time there isn’t really anything coming out that is game changing.

My 4 year old Vitus with E8000 and the new 635wh external will get 30miles round the Surrey hills ridden mostly in trail, comes in at 23kg, and that’s all alloy, 180mm ZEB Ultimates, DT Swiss 1900s so not exactly a weigh weenies build.

Given I never use boost the extra power of newer motors isn’t reall relevant, but the e8000 get more out of the bigger battery than the EP8 from my anecdotal observations, plus I can rock the 504wh most of the time which keeps the weight at 22.5kg.

As much as I love the look of some of the newer bikes, they are not offering any improvement in the real world to me.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles