Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
That’s Levo money.
Or

Mondraker Crafty Carbon RR SL Money.
Trek Rail 9.9 X01 AXS Money.
Santa Cruz Bullit AXS Money.

and these days ... many many others ... Each time one is released, they seem less crazy as our brains become accustomed to the insanity ! :)

Fortunately there's still lots of other bikes out there which aren't too stupidly expensive .. last week someone got their Sam2 for £4500. You could buy three of them for less than the yeti and 2 spare batteries.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It looks pretty. From the sounds of it, it also performs well.

For most of us it's irrelevant. It's a boutique bike to be built it "relatively" small numbers and bought by people who justify it as ok or don't care.

Do you spend €99 on a Stührling Men’s Dive Watch, or €200,000 on a Bentley labelled Breitling ? They both serve the same purpose and do it in the same way. Just bought by different people for different reasons.

I think if we should be amazed or disgusted by anything it's that so many of these bikes come with motors which can't be repaired because you can't buy parts or they're designed to be throw away items (despite so many of them being fault ridden) and batteries full of rare and environmentally expensive elements which also can't be repaired and are designed so they become completely unusable if you do try to repair them - so have to be scrapped and possibly recycled - no doubt wastefully and inefficiently.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Speak for yourself!
Wait till you see the Snack Bill for your FOD tour. These are e-bikers you know, they like to eat well and if it's bike related - there is no limit financially. Everything is seen as £10000

Organiser has to pay, I think you're looking at least £100,000 assuming you can keep it to just one snack stop.

Healy

Oct 4, 2020
Forest of dean
We could stop for a Sunday lunch and a few pints. Riding after a few is always a laugh and your inhibitions are lower and can try that really steep roll in lol

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I don't take issue with the price, its a Yeti so it comes with the territory.

For me the main issue with the current crop of plus 10k bikes is that you are buying something thats going to be outdated in a few years.

With regular bikes I would happily drop big money if funds allowed and with the way current geometry etc is I can see that you are going to get years and years of use out of it, however with an EMTB we are still in early days and I think over the next few years we are going to see some major developments.

Really to my mind the bikes coming out now are only really incremental improvement to the bikes of a few years ago, and we haven't as yet seen the Great Leap Forward into the true next generation of emtb's

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Wait till you see the Snack Bill for your FOD tour. These are e-bikers you know, they like to eat well and if it's bike related - there is no limit financially. Everything is seen as £10000

Organiser has to pay, I think you're looking at least £100,000 assuming you can keep it to just one snack stop.

And don’t forget Steve Sordy’s organisers pillow..

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
Holy shit man the bike is good.

most suprising is how well it climbs. Despite the ‘weaker’ EP8 I’ve found that the rear grips in so well that it’s able to climb stuff just like the Bosch. Albeit in the limited (2 local rides) completed so far.

Its incredibly nimble and the bike feels *almost* like a super light with more power. If I hadn’t weighed it I’d have thought it was a couple of KG under the 23KG actual weight.

It’s very quiet, other than the slight EP8 rattle. It’s the quietest EP8 I’ve tested. Could be down to design, could be a fluke, could be Shimano have refined their manufacturing process.

I’m honestly surprised by the bike. When you read paper stats it’s quite easy to build up an opinion on how it might ride. Be I’m very impressed after a couple of short rides so far.

I'd like to hear your initial impressions compared to the Kenevo SL. While not in the same category, it would be great to get your perspective as a long time Yeti fanboy, but also a huge fan of my current K-SL. Yeti's always climb like a goat so good to hear that retained that characteristic.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I'd like to hear your initial impressions compared to the Kenevo SL. While not in the same category, it would be great to get your perspective as a long time Yeti fanboy, but also a huge fan of my current K-SL.
Funny you should mention this as I’ve been thinking it feels very similar to the KSL in suspension and ride feel, but with the extra power, and quieter under pedal load.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Do you spend €99 on a Stührling Men’s Dive Watch, or €200,000 on a Bentley labelled Breitling ? They both serve the same purpose and do it in the same way. Just bought by different people for different reasons.

Pah €200,000 no way! I am the proud owner of a Bentley labelled Breitling. Got it from a bloke called Darren who operates a mobile shop in a London alleyway for £60 ?

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
I was sadly disappointed to learn that a jar of Vaseline was not included with the “Bend Over” purchase price of $10,100 for the 160E base model.

When getting bent over and screwed, lubrication is critical.

Never fear, for the price of $10,100, you get aluminum rims, SLX components and Fox Performance suspension. Bargain!!!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Battery technology is what hold's eBikes back. More energy density and longevity is required.

kendo

Sep 2, 2019
Scotland
I am a massive yeti fan and I would love to have one of their ebikes...but !...I have to say I don't like that switch link. It may do its job but it is in my opinion ugly, it just looks like a mechano add-on. I personally think my Vitus esommet VRX looks cleaner. I think we have all be overwhelmed by Yeti's new ebike offering and when the hooha settles I think many will dislike that linkage. I'd never be able to afford one as 11K for an ebike is quite frankly beyond ridiculous. ?

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
When I picked up my Kenevo SL and paid MSRP, no lube was involved. Went in dry and the next day had severe regrets. Never thought I'd pay more than what than the cost of dirt bike either, but I can't stop riding it, so I quickly got over the initial sticker shock. Both my Yeti and dirt bike are currently collecting dust.

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
My SB130 is doing the same in my garage. I bought a new Orbea Rise M20, ($6,700) and carried over all the parts from my Yeti. I ride the hell out of it.

I probably shouldn’t’t have said anything. I’ll get a flaming arrow stuck to my front door with a note saying I’ve been excommunicated from the tribe.

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
My SB130 is doing the same in my garage. I bought a new Orbea Rise M20, ($6,700) and carried over all the parts from my Yeti. I ride the hell out of it.

I probably shouldn’t’t have said anything. I’ll get a flaming arrow stuck to my front door with a note saying I’ve been excommunicated from the tribe.

Bought a new 130LR in June to replace my wrong sized 130 (non LR), then got the K-SL in July. It's fun to get on it occassionly to appreciate the weight variance, but the fun fades quickly once I hit anything that resembles a hill now. ;)

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
I have a Yeti SB130 and SB165, I was hoping that Yeti would bring something outstanding to the E-bike party, the geometry isn't exactly progressive, the integration compared to Specialized is poor, and the pricing for the spec is ridiculous, I never thought I would say it but Specialized continue to push the envelope and for me are the benchmark company when it comes to E-bike development, here's hoping that Ibis and Evil bring something more forward thinking than Yeti have produced here.

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
Specialized also has many years of experience over Yeti in eBike design, etc. 1st gen for Yeti, but most ride reports seem to indicated they've faired pretty well with their first eBike. Rob can answer better than I.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles