Yeti 160E arrived

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I've had a longish ride on a 160E this weekend.

It climbs like a mountain goat, most likely the best climbing ebike I've ridden. The tuning of the EP8 obviously has been done with care rather than just slapped on with the default profiles. You can download various Yeti racer/ambassador profiles for it if you're bothered using the Yeti app.

XC/hard XC - it flies. Absolutely flies.

Downhill (well sort of - Surrey Alps downhill not Val de Sole) - This is where it starts to become a little unhinged. Its very nimble but lacks the stability that you find on most of the other full-fat ebikes out there. You have to really concentrate on riding the thing. I sent it off a Surrey Alps log Thick n Creamy drop after plucking up the courage after my OTB there; where as my Levo settles nicely on landing, the Yeti becomes completely unwieldy and needs substantial rider input to bring under control again. The balance seems odd - as if its front heavy and the head tube is too short but its not - you feel like its trying to chuck you OTB... The EP8 rattles like a bastard as well, at least on the one I rode (although I hear it varies bike to bike).

Its a great bike dont get me wrong, but for half the price you can get an EP8 equipped bike which is just as good if you're not a pro level rider.

The finish is second to none though; even the crazy priced Santa Cruz's and Levo Gen3's aren't finished as well.

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Mr.Simmo, nice review. I know my SB130 handled best when it was ridden with my weight over the front. It was not a bike you could sit back and relax upon on technical terrain. It sounds like the 160E might be the same. When I heard Yeti was finally making an eBike, I looked forward to seeing what Yeti can do. I was expecting good things in the design of the bike. In all honesty, I was disappointed. I am not putting the lips to Yeti. Yeti makes a great bike. I just expected more, something new, something better and not more of the same same.

I've always thought Specialized and Orbea are taking eBikes in the right direction by making their bikes much lighter, more nimble and with a ride quality approaching that of a regular bike. I dislike the disconnected feel of a heavy eBike. As for me, I'd like an eBike that is light, poppy and flickable. I feel Yeti could have done much better. Does the world need another 50 lb. eBike?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The problem is what brands need now is an EMTB in their line up or else they are missing out in sales.

It’s only really the brands that have been in the ebike game for a whiles now and have had several generations of model that are pushing what can be done.

Remeber most brands are reliant on the suite of OEM parts they get and have to integrate those.

It’s only really Specialized and Giant who go bespoke.

Whilst the Rise is great, it’s not that different to what focus did with the original Jam2 4 years ago.

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
Mr.Simmo, nice review. I know my SB130 handled best when it was ridden with my weight over the front. It was not a bike you could sit back and relax upon on technical terrain. It sounds like the 160E might be the same. When I heard Yeti was finally making an eBike, I looked forward to seeing what Yeti can do. I was expecting good things in the design of the bike. In all honesty, I was disappointed. I am not putting the lips to Yeti. Yeti makes a great bike. I just expected more, something new, something better and not more of the same same.

I've always thought Specialized and Orbea are taking eBikes in the right direction by making their bikes much lighter, more nimble and with a ride quality approaching that of a regular bike. I dislike the disconnected feel of a heavy eBike. As for me, I'd like an eBike that is light, poppy and flickable. I feel Yeti could have done much better. Does the world need another 50 lb. eBike?

I've not seen or ridden the 160E, so I have nothing to add on this front, but like you, I was hoping for a Yeti EL version (extra light), similar to what Specialized has with their SL variants. Maybe they will in the future. Give me a 130LR with a small motor, I'd be sold.

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
I've not seen or ridden the 160E, so I have nothing to add on this front, but like you, I was hoping for a Yeti EL version (extra light), similar to what Specialized has with their SL variants. Maybe they will in the future. Give me a 130LR with a small motor, I'd be sold.
Exactly.....

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal

It climbs like a mountain goat, most likely the best climbing ebike I've ridden. The tuning of the EP8 obviously has been done with care rather than just slapped on with the default profiles. You can download various Yeti racer/ambassador profiles for it if you're bothered using the Yeti app.

Downhill (well sort of - Surrey Alps downhill not Val de Sole) - This is where it starts to become a little unhinged. Its very nimble but lacks the stability that you find on most of the other full-fat ebikes out there. You have to really concentrate on riding the thing. I sent it off a Surrey Alps log Thick n Creamy drop after plucking up the courage after my OTB there; where as my Levo settles nicely on landing, the Yeti becomes completely unwieldy and needs substantial rider input to bring under control again. The balance seems odd - as if its front heavy and the head tube is too short but its not - you feel like its trying to chuck you OTB... The EP8 rattles like a bastard as well, at least on the one I rode (although I hear it varies bike to bike).

Its a great bike dont get me wrong, but for half the price you can get an EP8 equipped bike which is just as good if you're not a pro level rider.

The finish is second to none though; even the crazy priced Santa Cruz's and Levo Gen3's aren't finished as well.

When you say it becomes unhinged DH, I wonder if a taller spec'd fork would help with this? I think the 160E is 170mm up front? what you describe in terms of head tube feeling too short, this is how my S-SL feels.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK

Good feedback.

Where did you get the demo bike from?

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
When you say it becomes unhinged DH, I wonder if a taller spec'd fork would help with this? I think the 160E is 170mm up front? what you describe in terms of head tube feeling too short, this is how my S-SL feels.

Its a weird experience - its as if the bike suddenly becomes very light and unsettled. Honestly im not sure, it may be the suspension tune. Rob is a more accomplished rider than me so will be able to give a better review, but my gut feel is if we added more travel (180/190) it probably wouldn't improve it but rather skew the pedalling efficiency on climbs.

Last edited:
Reactions: KSL

Geronimo

Sep 28, 2021
England
Its a weird experience - its as if the bike suddenly becomes very light and unsettled. Honestly im not sure, it may be the suspension tune. Rob is a more accomplished rider than me so will be able to give a better review, but my gut feel is if we added more travel (180/190) it probably wouldn't improve it but rather skew the pedalling efficiency on climbs.
Holy shit man the bike is good.

most suprising is how well it climbs. Despite the ‘weaker’ EP8 I’ve found that the rear grips in so well that it’s able to climb stuff just like the Bosch. Albeit in the limited (2 local rides) completed so far.

Its incredibly nimble and the bike feels *almost* like a super light with more power. If I hadn’t weighed it I’d have thought it was a couple of KG under the 23KG actual weight.

It’s very quiet, other than the slight EP8 rattle. It’s the quietest EP8 I’ve tested. Could be down to design, could be a fluke, could be Shimano have refined their manufacturing process.

I’m honestly surprised by the bike. When you read paper stats it’s quite easy to build up an opinion on how it might ride. Be I’m very impressed after a couple of short rides so far.

View attachment 72312
So the impossible question I have is the 160e better than the Levo Gen3… I’m ready to pull the trigger on the 2022 Levo Expert when stock is available again but can’t decide now if the Yeti is a better option (I have a LBS on my doorstep who have stock dropping in Nov). I’ve seen some comments querying an unsettled ride when pointing downhill but seriously not sure what to make of this, I can’t see how the head angle is to blame as this is 64.5degrees and is on the spot. The rattle in the Shimano motors is something I guess you have to live with but seems a little bit of a joke for such an expensive purchase. On the other hand the Levo isn’t without its issues from what I gather with motor problems still common, and that battery cover is comical.

I’d really love to hear Rob’s honest opinion Levo vs 160e and.which is better or I may be relying on a flip of a coin..

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
So the impossible question I have is the 160e better than the Levo Gen3… I’m ready to pull the trigger on the 2022 Levo Expert when stock is available again but can’t decide now if the Yeti is a better option (I have a LBS on my doorstep who have stock dropping in Nov). I’ve seen some comments querying an unsettled ride when pointing downhill but seriously not sure what to make of this, I can’t see how the head angle is to blame as this is 64.5degrees and is on the spot. The rattle in the Shimano motors is something I guess you have to live with but seems a little bit of a joke for such an expensive purchase. On the other hand the Levo isn’t without its issues from what I gather with motor problems still common, and that battery cover is comical.

I’d really love to hear Rob’s honest opinion Levo vs 160e and.which is better or I may be relying on a flip of a coin..

Good question- for me, its 50/50. Probably not better than the gen3 Levo.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The Gen 3 levo is the current pinnacle of full fat trail bike EMTB design. I am not a specialized fan boy, but as a package it sits above anything else.

In terms of a combination of motor power, battery capacity (and real world range from said capacity), software customisation of power modes and power delivery nothing else touches it.

Combine that with what is now a great handling package and frame design, and the fact that in top end guise its way lighter than any other full fat bike despite packing a 700wh battery, and its a bit of a no brainer.

If I was looking at spending 10k plus on an EMTB with 150/160mm travel its the only place I would put my money.

There are some amazing riding EMTB's now, at a lot less than the Yeti, both long travel and trail.

The issue with the Yeti is it doesn't have a point of difference, no matter how well it rides, aside from the fact its a Yeti, that justifies spending more on it than another equally capable bike:
  • Is it blowing the market away in terms of weight? No
  • Is it offering any sort of motor/battery/software that you cant get on another bike? No
  • Is it offering a component package you cant get elsewhere? No
  • Is the EP8 systems the best on the market? No
I know this sound harsh on the Yeti, but if you are looking at dropping that kind of cash on a bike and you riding isn't bike park/dh dominated, then the with the Levo are getting the best package out there.

If you want longer travel then SC, Nukeproof etc have amazing options running identical powertrains to the Yeti. I happen to be a fan of the Shimano system and its power delivery, but the capacity you get out of its batteries lags behind significantly in the real world compared to other brands identical capacity batteries.

Having said that of course the most important thing to do is get the best bike for you and your riding, and there is of course no one best bike , just the one thats best for you! :cool:

Last edited:

Geronimo

Sep 28, 2021
England
The Gen 3 levo is the current pinnacle of full fat trail bike EMTB design. I am not a specialized fan boy, but as a package it sits above anything else.

In terms of a combination of motor power, battery capacity (and real world range from said capacity), software customisation of power modes and power delivery nothing else touches it.

Combine that with what is now a great handling package and frame design, and the fact that in top end guise its way lighter than any other full fat bike despite packing a 700wh battery, and its a bit of a no brainer.

If I was looking at spending 10k plus on an EMTB with 150/160mm travel its the only place I would put my money.

There are some amazing riding EMTB's now, at a lot less than the Yeti, both long travel and trail.

The issue with the Yeti is it doesn't have a point of difference, no matter how well it rides, aside from the fact its a Yeti, that justifies spending more on it than another equally capable bike:
  • Is it offering any sort of motor/battery/software that you cant get on another bike? No
I know this sound harsh on the Yeti, but if you are looking at dropping that kind of cash on a bike and you riding isn't bike park/dh dominated, then the with the Levo are getting the best package out there.

If you want longer travel then SC, Nukeproof etc have amazing options running identical powertrains to the Yeti. I happen to be a fan of the Shimano system and its power delivery, but the capacity you get out of its batteries lags behind significantly in the real world compared to other brands identical capacity batteries.

Having said that of course the most important thing to do is get the best bike for you and your riding, and there is of course no one best bike , just the one thats best for you! :cool:

Thanks for this… it’s a sanity check for sure?

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal

You'd be surprised what a little bit of travel makes. Yeti has their SB130 which some of us really like, but on a test ride, I rode a SB130LR (lunch ride). The only difference is 10mm more travel in the front (150mm to 160), and in the rear, it's about 7mm (simple change internally to add travel).

When I first rode the LR, it was like a new bike. So much so that when I came home, I made the change, followed by buying another SB130 (LR). This is the bike that many at Yeti ride as their own. That said, sometimes a little goes a long way.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
You'd be surprised what a little bit of travel makes. Yeti has their SB130 which some of us really like, but on a test ride, I rode a SB130LR (lunch ride). The only difference is 10mm more travel in the front (150mm to 160), and in the rear, it's about 7mm (simple change internally to add travel).

When I first rode the LR, it was like a new bike. So much so that when I came home, I made the change, followed by buying another SB130 (LR). This is the bike that many at Yeti ride as their own. That said, sometimes a little goes a long way.
I have to say I was expecting Yeti to bring out something that was an Orbea Rise like take on the LR platform, which would be a very interesting bike.

Lightme

Subscriber
Jul 17, 2020
Sydney
I think this bike looks amazing, and the suspension platform sounds truly innovative and functional. Listening to the Talk Yeti To Me podcast on this shows you how much they put into this.
I’d buy one, excepting the third tier motor.

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
I have to say I was expecting Yeti to bring out something that was an Orbea Rise like take on the LR platform, which would be a very interesting bike.

If they follow Specialized's lead, maybe it will be something coming later - EL. They have their SB line from the 115 to the 165, so they are accustomed to making changes to extend their product line.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Personally I don’t think the KSL is in any way compatible to any sort of full fat EMTB.

To me the choice is between a regular Enduro and a KSL, as the KSL is basically a normal bike with a bit of assistance, and the riding experience is as close to a regular bike as you will find, and in fact the KSL might actually be a better long travel enduro bike, motor or not, than the Enduro.

The SL series are really in a division of their own, great bikes, but a different kettle of fish to a full fat EMTB.

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK

Agree with all of that. Coupled with Yeti’s legendary dog turd reliability & support. I can’t think of a brand I’d be less likely to give money to.

And yes, I’ve had the (dis)pleasure of having to deal with them & their distributor, having cracked more than one.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
I have a Yeti SB130 and SB165, I was hoping that Yeti would bring something outstanding to the E-bike party, the geometry isn't exactly progressive, the integration compared to Specialized is poor, and the pricing for the spec is ridiculous, I never thought I would say it but Specialized continue to push the envelope and for me are the benchmark company when it comes to E-bike development, here's hoping that Ibis and Evil bring something more forward thinking than Yeti have produced here.
Having owned a Specialized Levo S-Works and now the new Yeti 160e, no comparison at all. Yeti wins hands down. About even on the climb with slight nod to Yeti cus it has better traction. Yeti is MUCH more agile and shreds the Levo on the downhill. Gotta give Spesh the nod on the extended battery life and slightly smoother feel of Brose motor. I have a YT Decoy Elite and wanted a bike thats more of an all rounder/climber. I think Yeti nailed the geometry for the purposes I purchased it for.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Agree with all of that. Coupled with Yeti’s legendary dog turd reliability & support. I can’t think of a brand I’d be less likely to give money to.

And yes, I’ve had the (dis)pleasure of having to deal with them & their distributor, having cracked more than one.
Some of us place a much higher value on how a bike rides then the other traits.

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
Having owned a Specialized Levo S-Works and now the new Yeti 160e, no comparison at all. Yeti wins hands down. About even on the climb with slight nod to Yeti cus it has better traction. Yeti is MUCH more agile and shreds the Levo on the downhill. Gotta give Spesh the nod on the extended battery life and slightly smoother feel of Brose motor. I have a YT Decoy Elite and wanted a bike thats more of an all rounder/climber. I think Yeti nailed the geometry for the purposes I purchased it for.

For the sake of clarity, as per the other Yeti post, you are referring to the Gen 2 Levo, not the Gen 3. I think @R120 covers the salient points in his post.

Some of us place a much higher value on how a bike rides then the other traits.

Then I definitely wouldn't pick the Yeti ;)

In fact, it wouldn't even be in the top 10.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
For the sake of clarity, as per the other Yeti post, you are referring to the Gen 2 Levo, not the Gen 3. I think @R120 covers the salient points in his post.

Then I definitely wouldn't pick the Yeti ;)

In fact, it wouldn't even be in the top 10.
Not even in the Top 10😳 Trying to get my hands on a Gen 3 Levo S-Works. Looks like frames are available, may just build one up from scratch. Hopefully they've solved the issues with the TC, battery and motor. Contemplating a SC Bullit as well. Will be interesting to see how the technology for batteries evolves over the next few years.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Not even in the Top 10😳 Trying to get my hands on a Gen 3 Levo S-Works. Looks like frames are available, may just build one up from scratch. Hopefully they've solved the issues with the TC, battery and motor. Contemplating a SC Bullit as well. Will be interesting to see how the technology for batteries evolves over the next few years.
SWORKS frameset, £6500, or buy the Expert and upgrade the hell out of it for less than the SWORKS.

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
Looking forward to your comparison 160E vs Gen 3 Levo...when you track down the Levo!

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA

Well said! I went with the Yeti for several reasons, money is not a consideration (have worked hard and fortunate to have financial security, wanted a bike that compliments my custom YT Decoy Elite (stock build on YT is amazing and like to customize components to my exact liking/am adding a Push ELEVENSIX coil shock & 5 Dev 160mm cranks as an Xmas gift to myself), have owned a couple Yeti's previously and was impressed with rear suspension and ride quality, my previous Gen 2 Levo had several mechanical issues (2 TC's, a battery and a motor that needed replacement in less than a year after purchasing), plan on getting a Gen 3 Levo FF if I can get my hands on one and based upon the reviews of sites/reviewers that have earned my trust (Rob, Loam Wolf, Pinkbike, Vital MTB and some actual formal pro-level riders. Your points are valid as to some of the criticisms (EP8 motor rattle, limited battery range and cost comparison against other brands with same/similar components and lets not forget how freaking annoying and a pain in the arse to get the charging port cover back on (Spesh killed it with the Gen 3 design). I tend to switch my bikes out after about 2 years (Decoy will be in my stable fir years to come, limited battery range but absolutely love the way it rides and fortunate to have various bikes to choose from based upon what type of riding on a given day). I do miss the bigger battery on the Levo S-Works and the motor was so intuitive. As you stated, there is no "one" best bike! Been mountain biking before there was any type of front or rear suspension and look forward to all the latest and greatest technology as it hits the market. Not a big air guy anymore and actually like the way/feel of a FF emtb. Love reading and learning from all the members on this site and appreciate how emtbs have given riders of all ages and backgrounds an option to get out on a bike and enjoy the joys of biking!

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Yeti 160e remains the best handling ebike I’ve ever tried. I wish I could replicate the feeling with my own bike.

That 6 bar real linkage is the real deal and they’ve done a great job fitting 160mm travel with that suspension platform on a 29/29 bike.

plus, Looks absolutely stunning.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Yeti 160e remains the best handling ebike I’ve ever tried. I wish I could replicate the feeling with my own bike.

That 6 bar real linkage is the real deal and they’ve done a great job fitting 160mm travel with that suspension platform on a 29/29 bike.

plus, Looks absolutely stunning.
Totally agree about how well it rides. Always like the agility and handling characteristics of 27.5's and almost can't believe its a full 29er. Been on 5 rides now of different terrains and still amazed how well it rides. It does look amazing! Your initial review is what sealed the deal on me pulling the trigger and I'm glad I did. Kudos Rob!

bikeguy11

Subscriber
Oct 9, 2019
Oregon
My friend and I were looking at 2 of these in a local bike shop. We noticed neither of them have the Di2 handlebars. The shop called Yeti and they said they are out of stock on those bars and are substituting bars with no holes for now. Anyone else notice this?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles