E*POWAH Master
Jul 21, 2019
Briançon, France
Product Image:
Screenshot 2020-06-18 at 19.04.53.png

Product name: Yari Up v2 fork damper upgrade
Price paid: €259
Score (out of 10): 10

Review: After fitting a Marzocchi Bomber coil rear shock to my Decoy Base and being blown away by how much better the bike feels, I started playing around with the Yari fork.
It's always felt a bit sticky, most of this coming from the air spring stiction and lacking in adjustment, the only compression damping setting on the original Motion Control that worked for me was 6 clicks in, 5 was the same as 0 and 7 was too rigid.
A massive improvement in plushness came from a Vorsprung smash pot coil conversion, but still very lacking in damping adjustment.....
Why choose the Fast Suspension Yari Up over the usual upgrade to a Charger damper?
Price is a little cheaper, fitting is way easier and for me at least, the reasoning that most of our riding falls in the mid-range of suspension damping requirements meant that the Yari Up with its low-speed and mid-speed damping adjustment seemed to fit the bill.
Fitting couldn't be any easier, simply unscrew the old Moco damper and top up the oil, then screw the Yari Up in its place, I also fitted Racing Bros low-friction seals at the same time.....
One caveat, because the v2 Yari Up has a foam sleeve to replicate a closed bath damper and minimise any aeration of the oil, it's important to ease the damper in as slowly as possible to prevent displacement of the oil.....
The other change to the v2 Yari Up is more user-friendly adjustment knobs as people complained the old knobs were too small and difficult to turn, no such problems with the updated unit!
Initially I set the damper up with both in the middle (14 clicks in) of the range, then backed off on the low-speed damping to 10 in as I don't get bob on the bike or excessive diving under braking, also backed off on the rebound a couple of clicks...
So now, the bike feels more planted and smoother through stutter bumps as the damping is more controlled (by a shim stack rather than just a guillotine valve covering 3 holes in the Moco)
No A-B comparison with a Charger damper, but really happy with the damper and its adjustability over the Motion Control :D

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles