Yamaha PWX motor milage/distances????

LawmanMtb

Aug 15, 2018
Wigan
Hi good people, what type of distances are you getting from your Yamaha PWX motor/battery bikes (ballpark numbers) the youtube vid i watched alluded to them not going anywhere near the distance of say a 'Bosch' motor for the same battery and full charge, is this so? are the Yam's less efficient?

Janluke

Patreon
Dec 16, 2018
Scotland
Giant Dirt E+1 hardtail 27.5+ 2.6 tyres. Temp 4 degrees, Rider 17 stone, fit but missing lower right leg. Route 32.3km, 55% tarmac 45% fireroad 306m of climbing, average speed 23.4 kph. Eco and Basic modes most of the time Active now and again. 52% battery left at the end of the ride

LawmanMtb

Aug 15, 2018
Wigan
Nice one Janluke (y)

and cheers Lee, me n the missus are close to getting yamaha motored Fatbikes, im comfortable and confident with the Bosch im my KTM but the Yam is an unknown quantity to me, and you can't beat real world reviews Eh pal ;) i just need to sell me KTM now to pay the deposit on the Fatbikes :rolleyes::LOL:(y)

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
Mines the same as Potty’s, about 30 miles in standard , mixture of on and off road, 50 ish in eco on the flat. One word of warning though. I went out in the cold weather to intentionally run the battery down to see what difference the cold made. Instead of the usual 30 miles, I only got 21.5 miles and the last 20% of battery disappeared at an alarming rate. I always thought that the last 20% or 10% was supposed to conserve power from the battery but that didn’t happen. Luckily, only 200 yards from home when it reached the dreaded 0%!

BJep

Patreon
Aug 15, 2018
Grayshott
Hi- We have a 2016 Cube 120mm travel with Bosch CX motor, and a 2017 Haibike 120mm travel Yamaha PWX motor- bike weights are v similar- I ride both and there isn't an appreciable difference in battery range. I estimate about 30 miles depending on the amount of climbing involved. Bosch is slightly draggier when over the cut out, but I can testify that neither are much fun if you run out of battery mid-way along the ride ;)

Pottsy

Founding Member
Feb 12, 2018
Northern Ireland
Mines the same as Potty’s, about 30 miles in standard , mixture of on and off road, 50 ish in eco on the flat. One word of warning though. I went out in the cold weather to intentionally run the battery down to see what difference the cold made. Instead of the usual 30 miles, I only got 21.5 miles and the last 20% of battery disappeared at an alarming rate. I always thought that the last 20% or 10% was supposed to conserve power from the battery but that didn’t happen. Luckily, only 200 yards from home when it reached the dreaded 0%!

Bill,
I find the cold seriously affects battery range, very similar to your findings.
Also at about 6 months old I noticed the battery discharged really quickly after about 15%. Went to 0 and switched off after about a mile. Didn't even go into limp home mode at 3%. When new it was fine.

I have reported to lbs and keeping an eye on it.

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
this is a bit worrying, Pottsy. Even though yours is on a Giant and mine on a Haibike, the battery must be pretty much the same one. Sounds like you are still in warranty, whereas mine is not. would be interesting to see what your lbs says about it. If I get time later this week, I will try and run it down again and see what happens now the weather is a bit warmer .
Also, let us know what happens with yours as well.

Pottsy

Founding Member
Feb 12, 2018
Northern Ireland
this is a bit worrying, Pottsy. Even though yours is on a Giant and mine on a Haibike, the battery must be pretty much the same one. Sounds like you are still in warranty, whereas mine is not. would be interesting to see what your lbs says about it. If I get time later this week, I will try and run it down again and see what happens now the weather is a bit warmer .
Also, let us know what happens with yours as well.
Will do.
I have a second brand new 500w battery. I ran it flat for the first time and it jumped from about 14 % to 6% in one step and the 6 then disappeared pretty quick. This battery has only been used about 3 or 4 times.
Very similar to my first battery.

I would be interested what other owners are finding when then get to 15%.

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
Pottsy.. is your new 500 battery a Yam or a third party battery? That drop from 14 to 6 so quickly is alarming. That could really catch you out. Are you planning to take both batteries out with you , or did you just get it to replace your existing? My last ride was my local trail centre, the sun was shining, but the range was still well down on what I would normally get. Wondering if the cold can permanently affect battery life?

Bilko

Aug 18, 2018
Dorset
I've managed 59 miles from my 2018 Yamaha powered Giant dirt e pro hard tail, that was in Eco mode and mainly on flat promenades and a few dirt tracks. I had two 860 foot climbs where I used full power for a few minutes. I was trying to get over 60 miles but the battery died and I had the hardest 1.7 miles I've ever done :)

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
I've managed 59 miles from my 2018 Yamaha powered Giant dirt e pro hard tail, that was in Eco mode and mainly on flat promenades and a few dirt tracks. I had two 860 foot climbs where I used full power for a few minutes. I was trying to get over 60 miles but the battery died and I had the hardest 1.7 miles I've ever done :)

That’s a little farther than I’d get with my 400wH battery PW-SE under those conditions, I think; but I burn a lot of battery in my seven mile round trip on the road to the trail head. You’re getting great range.

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
Will do.
I have a second brand new 500w battery. I ran it flat for the first time and it jumped from about 14 % to 6% in one step and the 6 then disappeared pretty quick. This battery has only been used about 3 or 4 times.
Very similar to my first battery.

I would be interested what other owners are finding when then get to 15%.

My 2017 Haibike is 100% Yamaha with 500 Wh. In over 3,300 kms yesterday i tried to empty my battery for the first time. I came in with 2% and there was no jump. Just slow and regular.

tp_reading

Jun 25, 2019
Berkshire
I have had my Giant Fathom E+2Pro with Yamaha motor for six months. I ride trails and tow paths, mainly flat. I’ve turned the Eco mode down to 75% and get 80 miles before it gets down to one light on the control.

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
Hi good people, what type of distances are you getting from your Yamaha PWX motor/battery bikes (ballpark numbers) the youtube vid i watched alluded to them not going anywhere near the distance of say a 'Bosch' motor for the same battery and full charge, is this so? are the Yam's less efficient?
Before buying i did my research. The 2 to avoid if you like range are Specialized and Shimano. Yamaha was first, they know what they are doing.

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Before buying i did my research. The 2 to avoid if you like range are Specialized and Shimano. Yamaha was first, they know what they are doing.
I would say that this is crap advice and hold no grounds. Be aware that this guy is a Yamaha fanatic and all other brands are inferior.

So many factors have influence on the range so almost impossible to compare directly unless doing it in a very scientific way. As a ballpark 2 different motors that delivers the same amount of power/torque over over the same distance with a rider/bike configuration that are identical, will have approximately the same range. No 2 bike rider and bike setup is identical hence difficult to compare.

Karsten

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles