Yamaha PW-X2 switching itself off at idle...

Shockabilly

Oct 6, 2020
Orbiting
Hi all. I've recently changed my Shimano Steps Focus for a Haibike AllMTN7 2021 with the Yamaha PW-X2 motor & as a package I really love it but I've noticed something a bit odd. During a routine two hour ride the motor will typically switch itself off two or three times after a very brief idle such as gate opening etc, it doesn't do it all the time but it doesn't seem quite right. Has anyone else experienced the same issue? Thanks in anticipation....

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
Hi all. I've recently changed my Shimano Steps Focus for a Haibike AllMTN7 2021 with the Yamaha PW-X2 motor & as a package I really love it but I've noticed something a bit odd. During a routine two hour ride the motor will typically switch itself off two or three times after a very brief idle such as gate opening etc, it doesn't do it all the time but it doesn't seem quite right. Has anyone else experienced the same issue? Thanks in anticipation....

I have a 2019 Giant E-Trance with the Yamaha motor, but with Giant firmware. The RideOne control is programmed to automatically switch the bike off after 5 minutes. It is a PITA as when it switches off it also terminates the current ride which the app is recording.

Your Haibike might have a similar switch-off function but with a much shorter inactivity timer.

Shockabilly

Oct 6, 2020
Orbiting
I have a 2019 Giant E-Trance with the Yamaha motor, but with Giant firmware. The RideOne control is programmed to automatically switch the bike off after 5 minutes. It is a PITA as when it switches off it also terminates the current ride which the app is recording.

Your Haibike might have a similar switch-off function but with a much shorter inactivity timer.
Hi Nicho

Thanks for this; it's really strange because it only happens perhaps 2 or 3 times a ride & it switches itself off after no more than 5-10 seconds. I'm sure its probably a software glitch but as far as I'm aware (unlike the Shimano STEPS) I'm unable to (as I understand it) update the Yamaha firmware.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I've got a PW-X2 powered Haibike and when it arrived I had the opposite problem, it wouldn't turn off. Luckily I had access to another bike that also had the Yamaha side switch controller. Swapping this over cured the problem and the bike supplier sent me a new controller. The unit is an easy 10 minute swap as its loom connects to the main loom about 15cm inside the down tube. It may be worth asking your LBS to replace the switch unit and see if that cures it.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Shockabilly

Oct 6, 2020
Orbiting
Thanks all for replying & offering solutions...I actually believe its a switch controller issue but time will tell!

Nick_V

Oct 9, 2020
UK
I have the Allmntn 6 2021 and have been having the same issue, I wasnt sure if I had been unknowingly pressing the off button with my arm / leg / clothing as it seems to happen quite allot. Will monitor over my next few rides and see, as didn't happen on this mornings ride

levindown

Jun 11, 2020
Chichester
It could easily be inadvertently pressing the off switch, which seems very sensitive. It happens to be (AllMtn2.0) quite often, usually when opening/closing gates.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
It could easily be inadvertently pressing the off switch, which seems very sensitive. It happens to be (AllMtn2.0) quite often, usually when opening/closing gates.

I have the Allmntn 6 2021 and have been having the same issue, I wasnt sure if I had been unknowingly pressing the off button with my arm / leg / clothing as it seems to happen quite allot. Will monitor over my next few rides and see, as didn't happen on this mornings ride

How do you get your fingers anywhere near the small power switch on the back of the head unit unintentionally? :unsure:

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

levindown

Jun 11, 2020
Chichester
How do you get your finger anywhere near the small power switch on the back of the head unit unintentionally?
I'm talking about the display unit where you control power levels, turn on/off etc. Same thing? I'm not sure it's my hand, I suspect part of my leg: when one opens a gate, the handlebars often move to one side or the other. If to the left, it would be easy to brush the unit with one's leg, and activate the power switch. I haven't noticed it switching off without the possibility of my doing accidentally. You really only need to catch gently and it turns off.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles