• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Yamaha PW-X2 SpeedBox 2 install

Akemtb

Mar 1, 2019
Anchorage Alaska
Installed the SpeedBox 2 on my Haibike Full FatSix 10.0 a couple weeks ago, works as advertised.
It's nice not hitting the 20mph wall and being able to cook on the flats and long gentle downhills.
The install was plug and play, don't think you can hook it up wrong; all the connectors are proprietary.
There are good videos for both types of frame sets.

Dropping the motor for the install was relatively easy, to release I had to tap with a robber mallet a couple time times.
Used blue Loctite on motor mount bolts on re-installation. The small right side bolts have a tendency to loosen causing the motor to creek and squeak, Loctite fixes this as long as you let it setup overnight.

Again, a relatively easy install.

If you go this rout you'll need to remove the Speedbox if taking to dealer for any motor warranty work.

I don't think installing one of these will cause any long term damage, heck I put more strain on the motor blasting up 1500 feet of steep terrain in high assist.
Fact is after a long steep climb depleting a battery (I had two) the motor was way wormer than when I rode above 20mph on a 20+ mile road trip.

Ride on!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles