Yamaha motor full overhaul video

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
After starting with the Bosch motors we have just completed a Yamaha PW motor strip and overhaul. And, I have finally sourced the grooved bearings, seals and O-rings, now all available on my site.
We are currently working on the Impulse-2, Panasonic and Brose. Much more content will be added over the next few weeks.
Bearings and service is available for everything but the Brose at the moment but this should be added within the next week or so.
If you have a Yamaha, I hope you enjoy the video.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Interesting video, thanks for sharing. (y)

Given you have now stripped and examined most of the main motor brands at this point, what is your opinion on their individual designs from a reliability point of view? Looking at posts on here it would seem like the Brose has the most problems, but then it is also the most numerous (on this forum at least). Obvously riding characteristics are key, but we all know that mountain biking is a much more extreme sport than commuting (where most of these motors have their origins) so long term reliability is important. Do you see fundamental strengths or weaknesses in any of the specific motor designs that would lead you to think they are likely to be more or less reliable?

Last edited:

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
I did wonder when someone would ask this?
I can only really answer this from an engineering point of view. In the world there is always more than one way to skin a cat as they say. Bosch, Brose, Yamaha, Shimano, Panasonic, Impulse etc. etc. all have their own way of doing things, and yes, currently some are better than others.
The thing with forums is, once you say something, it's out there for ever! These motors are developing and improving so quickly that I think the teething issues that are being experienced today will soon be a thing of the past (Not good for my business!)
I will say that currently there is the same difference between the German and Japanese motors as there is between their cars. But as we know, Japanese cars are no less reliable, they are just not engineered quite so well.
Sorry this hasn't really answered your questions, but it's as fair as I can be whilst the manufacturers are being so pro-active in manufacturing newer, smaller, lighter, more water resistant units.

Pottsy

Founding Member
Feb 12, 2018
Northern Ireland
Excellent video. You make it look easy. But that's the illusion created by someone who knows what they are doing.
Looking forward to the pw x.
Thanks for sharing.
Pottsy

UnreasonableMuppet

Jan 11, 2022
THE YOO ESS OF AYE
Nope! And the latest Yamaha motor (Same motor in the Giant), specifically designed for eMTB's, the PW-X and X2 are the worst of all Yamaha motors... Very odd?

@Bearing Man i found this comment in another thread. I've got a Giant Trance with the PW-X2 motor. Is there anything that can be done as far as preventitive maintenance for this motor? I do only hand wash the bike with a damp cloth and only a hand spray bottle, so it doesn't get hit with high pressure water.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
@Bearing Man i found this comment in another thread. I've got a Giant Trance with the PW-X2 motor. Is there anything that can be done as far as preventitive maintenance for this motor? I do only hand wash the bike with a damp cloth and only a hand spray bottle, so it doesn't get hit with high pressure water.
With the SyncDrive Pro (PW-X2) there is very little preventative work you can do above what you are already doing. With ALL motors, and in particular your motor, as part of your maintenance routine, just drop the chain off the front chainring and turn your crank arms back and forth by hand. Any rough feeling, up and down play or rough noise, get it fixed immediately!
Generally, water, dirt and dust only ever gets in to these motors through the bearings. The water/dust enters through the outer bearing seal, this damages the bearing race and the balls that run on that race. This causes the ball bearings to wear down and get smaller. Once wear or "play" develops in the bearing the outer and inner bearing seals no longer fit the hole they were made for and this then allows water and dirt to flood into the motor!
99% of the total motor deaths we see are avoidable, you must know what you're looking for and catch it early! In a motor like yours, the bearings are exceptionally small, this means the ball bearings inside the bearing are tiny and wear away very quickly, from noisy to total destruction can happen in just one ride! (Most other Yamaha motors have much larger crankshaft bearings and these tend to last a little longer).
When I say noisy, I don't mean loud! If you can hear your motor is noisy while riding... it's already too late! Big damage is being done and if you have a wet or dirty ride, it will just be filling your motor up and motor death is imminent!

You can use a hose on your bike. So, as for washing your motor, the easiest way (if your bearings are in good condition), spray a little bike cleaner on the motor, clean with a soft brush and hose off with a sprinkler attachment.

Above all, enjoy your bike! Go through the dirt, go through the puddles, just fix it or get it fixed as soon as you notice somethings not right.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles