• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Yamaha broken spider help needed

Bazippy

Jan 27, 2019
Sheffield
Long story short smashed my chainring into a rock, snapping the spider bolt holds.
So I need to replace the spider which are about £25 (FSA Yamaha e-Bike Spider | Tredz Bikes) however the difficulty is going to be removing the spider itself.
From what i can see i need a special tool to remove a yamaha spider. The only tool i can see that says it does the job is £70 which is a fair bit of money(Buy Cyclus Snap-In Bottom Bracket Remover For. Yamaha Nut - Blac at HBS).
Is this the tool i need? is there anything else? i think my cranks are isis so i think i need a tool for removing them also.

I havent really had time to have a look and its years since ive done anything on a mountain bike so im feeling a bit out of my depth and upset by my first issue on ride number 6. Properly gutted but these things happen. Just need a bit of help

its a 2018 Haibike Xduro Nduro 7.0 yamaha pwx

Gofurtherfaster

Oct 10, 2018
The woods
Tried looking about for an alternative/cheaper one but no luck... maybe a visit to your lbs and pay them to put on the new one, they may well have the tool and even paying for fitting I imagine would be substantially cheaper than 75 quid

Bazippy

Jan 27, 2019
Sheffield
Tried looking about for an alternative/cheaper one but no luck... maybe a visit to your lbs and pay them to put on the new one, they may well have the tool and even paying for fitting I imagine would be substantially cheaper than 75 quid
Done some severe searching. Bought a cheaper BB tool that looks the job. Probably won't work but if it does I can at least show people how to do it cheaper. If it doesn't work I'll be buying the expensive one as it will be used again and getting to a bike shop isn't that easy as I already know the local one doesn't have the right tool as they only have Bosch motors in, visited them on my walk back with the bike. Thanks for trying to help just a big shame nothing comes up.

Gofurtherfaster

Oct 10, 2018
The woods
Its a bit nuts that it costs that much, but I find i am having to amass a load of tools for one off jobs too, but evidently already I've used them more than once, so hey..

better to have it and not need it, and yeah if your alternative works you can save a lot of people a bunch of money, that'd be cool

Bazippy

Jan 27, 2019
Sheffield
Its a bit nuts that it costs that much, but I find i am having to amass a load of tools for one off jobs too, but evidently already I've used them more than once, so hey..

better to have it and not need it, and yeah if your alternative works you can save a lot of people a bunch of money, that'd be cool
Tools are good, wish I already had one so won't be too upset buying one like you say better to have them.

Bazippy

Jan 27, 2019
Sheffield
Found the answer, took a punt after some research on a cheaper way of removing the BB turns out a Shimano/Isis bottom bracket tool fits. Saved myself £60 on the only thing that says it works with my ebike. Happy days.
20190220_183610.jpg

Gilbert

Mar 1, 2019
Shetland Islands
I’m about to try and change the chainrings on my Giant Full E+2 so will need to take the Spyder off. Did your Haibike set up look anything like picture? I thought I’d just need a 36 mm socket to loosen the nut holding the spider on. Does a conventional crank puller like the one in the attached image do the job to get crank off? Thanks in advance for any advice.

34F1910B-82A7-4005-AED4-A00DEB3920BD.jpeg

A92143E3-AEEA-44A6-9BFB-96290806749C.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles