XTR Di2 Advice Needed !

LeeBoy

I want to ditch my cable XT shifter. Any mates converted ? I have the parts what do I need to do to make it work on my 2019 BMC Speedfox Amp 2 Shimano 8000 ?
TFRT0090 (1).JPG

AndreaFx

Aug 1, 2019
Milano (Italy)
Hi LeeBoy,
I will do the same thing and I've found this video.
It is not very complete but it helps you to understand how to make connections......in addition to the shimano e8000 manual.
Regarding the software side, I don't know (but I hope so) that STUnlocker can do the job.
Otherwise you need the shimano control unit.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
It's not TRUE at all. Many ST Unlocker customers switched from Mechanic to Di2. I did it with my bike. It's simple and does not requre any special stuff.

You need a Shimano dealer to change to Di2. Steps Unlocker alone did not work. However it works perfect now and shows what gear you are in too !

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
I realise you have already completed this upgrade but i post this for future reference as someone may find it useful.

STunlocker or freemax will change it to electronic shifting.

Hardware wise you should need 4 items. You will need a RHS switch/shifter to replace the cable shifter, for this you can use a DI2 shifter assembly or just even a E7000 switch. DI2 rear derailleur. Then two wiring cables - one from the shifter to the motor and another from motor to the rear D. They come in differing lengths so you may need to measure and estimate which cables to buy.

Ymersmoelf

Oct 19, 2019
Denmark
I realise you have already completed this upgrade but i post this for future reference as someone may find it useful.

STunlocker or freemax will change it to electronic shifting.

Hardware wise you should need 4 items. You will need a RHS switch/shifter to replace the cable shifter, for this you can use a DI2 shifter assembly or just even a E7000 switch. DI2 rear derailleur. Then two wiring cables - one from the shifter to the motor and another from motor to the rear D. They come in differing lengths so you may need to measure and estimate which cables to buy.
Thank you!

Peterg

Apr 26, 2019
Uk
my bike is in the shop and has been for 9 days awaiting a code from Focus which is needed by the shop to install the required software onto the di2shifter. I tried fitting it myself and also used stunlocker to select di2. It still would not recognise the new shifter.
After speaking to Maddison(UK shimano), importer, I was told bike had to go back to the shop I bought it from, so they could be sent a code.
Complete pain in the ass. Wish I hadn't even opted for di2. Shimano need to get there act together. Others have had no probs in fitting. Simply plug n play. Not me though.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
It looks like your shifter is dead or it has physical connector issues. After fitting a shifter or any other Di2 device it should be visible in ETube Project software (which any bike shop/dealer should have). If not - shifter is dead. And, if it visible - you can configure it using any tool you want and those "code" will not help at all.

my bike is in the shop and has been for 9 days awaiting a code from Focus which is needed by the shop to install the required software onto the di2shifter. I tried fitting it myself and also used stunlocker to select di2. It still would not recognise the new shifter.
After speaking to Maddison(UK shimano), importer, I was told bike had to go back to the shop I bought it from, so they could be sent a code.
Complete pain in the ass. Wish I hadn't even opted for di2. Shimano need to get there act together. Others have had no probs in fitting. Simply plug n play. Not me though.

Peterg

Apr 26, 2019
Uk
It looks like your shifter is dead or it has physical connector issues. After fitting a shifter or any other Di2 device it should be visible in ETube Project software (which any bike shop/dealer should have). If not - shifter is dead. And, if it visible - you can configure it using any tool you want and those "code" will not help at all.
Not according to Maddison. They say my new shifter needs flashing with new software. But to do this it needs connecting to the motor . But before any ulploads of new software take place, Focus need to release a code to Maddison, then Maddison call the bike shop and update remotely.
All seems a nonsense...
If I could have made it work, without all this messing I would have done

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
For flashing a new firmware shifter should be visible for ETube Projects. In your case it doesn't

Not according to Maddison. They say my new shifter needs flashing with new software. But to do this it needs connecting to the motor . But before any ulploads of new software take place, Focus need to release a code to Maddison, then Maddison call the bike shop and update remotely.
All seems a nonsense...
If I could have made it work, without all this messing I would have done

Peterg

Apr 26, 2019
Uk
Finally sorted. Albeit I was charged £120 to fit rear mech and new shifter and update firmware...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles