Would you order a Vitus from CRC/Wiggle again?

Adam

Nov 20, 2018
Plymouth, UK
Hi all,

I'm still a little on the fence so I'd love to hear your experiences of being a Vitus owner, if you've had any issues with the bike or dealing with CRC/wiggle, and if you had the money to spend again, would you still buy the same from them or go for something else elsewhere?

Cheers.

Adam

Nov 20, 2018
Plymouth, UK
Personally I'm still searching for the right emtb to buy myself and the current 14% off offer is really tempting me back towards the E-Sommet VRS or VRX.

The 2019 VR was top of my list last year but they went out of stock when I was about to buy. In the time between that and the 2020 versions coming out, I started noticing a lot of reports of Shimano motor issues and seeing the threads popping up about people's problems dealing with CRC/Wiggle. Kind of spooked me a little and turned me off of the bike through fears of the hassle that could come with it.

Which would you go?
VRS at £3440
Or
VRX at £4300

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
If its a shimano motor issue, you can just take it to any Shimano service center as far as I know, personally its a no go for me, as closest is 2hours away.

mike425

Jan 9, 2020
Sheffield
My VRS has just been delivered today with that 14% discount. I have the same concern around CRC, but intend to follow all the previous advice about mud proofing the bike.

Regarding warranty I will pay my local shop to sort the motor issues with Madison rather than sending to CRC.

The bikes are still amazing value

Adam

Nov 20, 2018
Plymouth, UK
That's just reminded me, About CRC, anyone know if they offer the same 30 day bike trial service that wiggle do? Can't see it anywhere on the site, so I suspect not.

Also anyone used Quidco with CRC? Says they give 4% cash back. Not sure how that would track if using PayPal 0% credit option.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
I bought my vitus e sommet from wiggle nearly 2 years ago and had great service from them.
Early days was shock bush, they offered replacement.
Shifter exploded, replaced
Dropper post replaced
Motor issue, took to lbs and they sent off to Shimano to replace which I was charged £85 for refunded without a problem.
So yes I would.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yes, but on the simple proviso that you have a friendly LBS who will warranty the motor or any of the motor components for you, because going through CRC/Wiggle for that is a nightmare.

I also think that they are a bit hit and miss in how well the bikes are put together, this isn't a problem if you are mechanically minded and know a bit about maintenance as these will be issue you can easily sort out (good example is a fair few of them have badly routed dropper cables causing the posts to play up), but if you dont know anything about bike maintenance it might mean a trip to the LBS

Chester

Apr 20, 2018
London
I would'nt buy an ebike from CRC again, I had a motor issue and they just wanted the bike back which means having to have 3 days off work. 1 for a bike box to be delivered.
2 another to have the bike to be picked up in the new box, then wait for CRC to tell you what your local bike shop already told you that the Torque sensor has failed E010 error. Then you have to wait for CRC to send it to Madison then 3 finaly when the motor gets replaced the bike is sent back to you another day off is required. All deliveries are 0830 - 1730
This is the CRC system when dealing with shimano motor faults well it was 2 months ago.

I just paid a local shop to take the motor out and deal with the warranty via Madison which was turned around in a week so worth paying the £100 labour/postage

With all of the back and fourth there will be a good chance of damage of some sort to the bike so even more inconvience.

I think if you go direct Canyon is better as they have a local bike shop system now.

GDAS

Sep 19, 2018
Surrey, UK
That's just reminded me, About CRC, anyone know if they offer the same 30 day bike trial service that wiggle do? Can't see it anywhere on the site, so I suspect not.
It's only Wiggle who offer the 30 day trial. Which is a great deal.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I've bought 3 (so far). And would buy the same again if needs be.
There's still not another Emtb I know of with geometry, sizing and suspension kinematics as suitable for my preference as the E-sommet.
It's an awesome bike. Just a shame E bike motors aren't really durable yet (not just talking about Shimano)

Customer service/warranty downtime with wiggle/CRC is a complete joke. But for motor issues I can just bypass their extremely longwinded and hugely unsatisfactory back to base (workshop) procedure, sort my own warranty out and claim costs from them later if I feel I've been left out of pocket.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
CRC paid for my LBS to change some bearings in a wheelhub. It was a warranty claim, and it was cheaper than for them to pay all the postage costs. I suspect that they may have been a bit busy at the time.

I have always found CRC to be very good on warranty issues, a bit slow, but very fair. That was before Wiggle bought them, I have not had a problem with CRC since, so I can't advise what effect that has had.

Trebor1965

Feb 2, 2020
swansea
Hi all,

I'm still a little on the fence so I'd love to hear your experiences of being a Vitus owner, if you've had any issues with the bike or dealing with CRC/wiggle, and if you had the money to spend again, would you still buy the same from them or go for something else elsewhere?

Cheers.
New bike delivered today , excellent customer service and amazing bike for the moneyv

Neiljk

Nov 28, 2019
Uk
I’ve had a eSommet VRS since December. It wasn’t that well packaged but the bike was unmarked and I’ve been really pleased so far. I got a second set of wheels which somehow turned into Hope Fortus and the originals have road tyres. It doubles as a commuter during the week and a proper mtb on the weekends. It’s had a few trail centre trips and two uplift days. Come the summer it will be coming with me to Morzine to share the duties with my Intense DH bike.

For the money I think it’s impossible to beat. The Orange Surge with similar spec is literally twice the price.

Would definitely order again. Doesn’t have the cool of the Intense but boy it rides well.

Mike D.

Sep 19, 2020
Alpujarras
Almost faultless service from Wiggle. Bike arrived in perfect condition and bang on schedule. Box undamaged.

Free tools not included, though. Instead I got a "cable not removable" charging unit that needed a Europlug adapter. There was a pointless inclusion of two extra cables with one UK plug and the other with a Europlug neither of which, of course, could be used on the charging unit.

Good setup by the Wiggle assemblers. Only 1 torque wrench (Nm) click under the proper setting for the shock pivots.

After two rides up into the big country Sierra Nevada I can say that in terms of performance, this is the best bike I have ever owned and that includes my previous Orange5 and Rocky Mountain.

The only downside is the non-Android communicable "E-Tube" app which did not work until I borrowed an iPhone and the 504Wh battery, completely indequate for the long, steep climbs around here up big mountains.

My solution is to get a spare 615Wh to take with me. Not a problem as the Steps battery is quite small and comparitively lightweight.

I changed the Maxxis "Assegai" on the back for an "Aggressor" - the Assegai was too liable to wash-out on corners.

Also, I've a very good mechanic locally who can extend the range of these batteries for me by some magical internal jiggery-pokery (a technical term).

Rides like a dream. Carves like a bastard. ???

Last edited:

Mike D.

Sep 19, 2020
Alpujarras
unnamed.jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles