Would you buy another Levo?

atcspaul

Dec 28, 2018
Portage, Michigan
Would I buy another Levo. HELL YES! I am in my mid sixties and can ride and keep up with anyone out their. You know the old saying its like riding a bike you never forget. Well up till now I thought I forgot. Come to find out I did not have the strength to use those skills. The levo allows me to use those skills again and keep up and surpass people half my age. I have had more then one person mention that I was pretty good on a mountain bike with no mention of my age, in the past I would get a "not bad for an old man" Now this old man is kicking their asses

Stephen

Jan 10, 2019
Mallorca , Spain
Neither was I! What issue is this?
I commented on cable water problems , topic "such a long wait " #9 . It has happened three times after washing the bike , it would not turn on again until I dried the battery cable with a hair dryer . Perhaps I am using too much water during washing ! Who knows . I am going to seal both ends of the cable with liquid rubber , which hopefully will cure the problem . The issue about crud getting into the motor area has been solved with the foam , new covers and the known solution with the inner tube flap which covers the gap . I would buy again . Riding this bike is just so much fun and I am still getting big smiles on my face during every ride .

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Would I buy another Levo. HELL YES! I am in my mid sixties and can ride and keep up with anyone out their. You know the old saying its like riding a bike you never forget. Well up till now I thought I forgot. Come to find out I did not have the strength to use those skills. The levo allows me to use those skills again and keep up and surpass people half my age. I have had more then one person mention that I was pretty good on a mountain bike with no mention of my age, in the past I would get a "not bad for an old man" Now this old man is kicking their asses

Good on you I bet you are loving it :) I haven't got my first ebike yet but hopefully soon

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
100% would buy again.

It’s the best emtb that I’ve ridden so far. IMO.

Dealers need to wise up though. These are a new generation of bikes and some dealers are not moving with the times.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
What do you mean Rob about dealers need to wise up?
Many dealers are fully up to date on ebikes / Levos etc and very knowledgeable as @R120 has mentioned.

But some don’t really know how to deal with the issues.

I had about 10 messages asking how to pair the bike when it was first launched both here, Instagram and via email... the dealers had removed the frame sticker and PIN numbers (not just one dealer but many).

There is a method of getting the pin from the bike without the sticker that I was able to share.

But this should not happen when someone is spending upto £10k on a bike.

These bikes are not just hardware now but software too and many dealers are just not quite ready for it... hence, they need to wise up ?

Cyclejunkie

Founding Member
Mar 27, 2018
Deal Kent
Hi guys my wife Linda just adores the Levo and we are planning to go and see one on Saturday it's an Expert model so she wants to know is it reliable, as her Haibike over three years has been totally bombproof and never gone wrong, so is the Levo reliable or is it like a bit tetchy like a thoroughbred horse :) She is looking forward to seeing one.

Thanks
Had my levo FSR fattie since April 18 not missed a beat can’t praise it enough

Noblefart

Jan 26, 2019
Norway
Many dealers are fully up to date on ebikes / Levos etc and very knowledgeable as @R120 has mentioned.

I had about 10 messages asking how to pair the bike when it was first launched both here, Instagram and via email... the dealers had removed the frame sticker and PIN numbers (not just one dealer but many).

There is a method of getting the pin from the bike without the sticker that I was able to share.

These bikes are not just hardware now but software too and many dealers are just not quite ready for it... hence, they need to wise up ?

I think my dealer was ok, setting sag, asking for seat height (cut the hose). I would however appricate if they would have told me that I needed a code for pairing (and where to find it), instead of just placing the sticker on the last page. A quick google-search sorted it out, but still.

jxj

Jun 28, 2018
Sierra California
Yes I would buy another one. I have the 2018 TL Carbon Comp. Rode one season on it but also ride acoustic MTB and road bike so my Levo has 800 - 1000 miles on it (haven't checked it since Fall). I expected the factory Butcher tires to suck, but in fact I think they are fantastic for my mix of riding. Love the suspension and the feel. The only thing after one season that sucks is the SRAM Guide RE brakes. They are noisy, sticky and generally have a bad feel to the hand. Buy the Blevo software and learn to use it with smart power and heart power and you will have a bike that is seamless feeling to your own power, almost makes you bionic feeling. Not sure in the 2019 vs 2018 Kenevo vs Levo etc., but I would buy my exact bike or a higher level 2018 again if i needed to.

Last edited:

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
2018 sworks levo

in 6 months with the levo, my mileage was double my entire 2017 rides...skill gone up, cardio better, having more fun.

Its not all perfect though.
Command post replaced twice under warranty, i junked the 2nd one and replaced it with a reverb
Ohlins went in for the recall, Ohlins provided free service and a performance upgrade kit (new seals, air cartridge, stickers) FOC

Would i buy another - YES

But im hoping for these features in 2020 levo
LIGHTER battery - Spez keeps going bigger...but thats not what ppl want in my country, we dont do epic 100km rides..we want SMALLER, lighter battery
Smaller less powerful motor - same point as above

What i want is a bike that gives enuff assist to help me take the pain off uphills, but still light enuff to be under 20kg

the new Fazua motor/battery is perfect...but i want it in a Spez (its the only manufacturer with full LBS support in my country)

mintakax

Jan 19, 2019
boulder, CO
I've only had one decent ride on my 2019 Levo Comp. All is well, but after reading about all the problems people are having I feel like I'm riding a time bomb. I wish now I would have bought a FS Trek Powerfly instead.

Will Ridealpine

Sep 18, 2018
Idaho

No sticker so should take the on off switch out and the code is there maybe, he code for pairing is hiden here right?

mintakax

Jan 19, 2019
boulder, CO
No sticker so should take the on off switch out and the code is there maybe, he code for pairing is hiden here right?
There was no sticker on my bike so I had to take the on/off switch out. There is a sticker on the inside that will show the pairing code. Its kind of weird to have to do this but its pretty easy.
I've been to two different Specialized dealers in Colorado and I would say that neither was very knowledgeable about these e-bikes. Neither knew about the debris under the engine cover issue, although one was able to look it up when I mentioned it.

atcspaul

Dec 28, 2018
Portage, Michigan
I've only had one decent ride on my 2019 Levo Comp. All is well, but after reading about all the problems people are having I feel like I'm riding a time bomb. I wish now I would have bought a FS Trek Powerfly instead.
specialized is selling thousands of these bikes. I was number 902 on the list for comp carbon. Of course their is going to be some problems just like the trek and every other Ebike has out their. This is new technology.

mintakax

Jan 19, 2019
boulder, CO
specialized is selling thousands of these bikes. I was number 902 on the list for comp carbon. Of course their is going to be some problems just like the trek and every other Ebike has out their. This is new technology.
I agree that its new tech and in an industry that was largely mechanical. So you think the 2019 Levo isn't any worse off than other e-bikes ? I don't see as many issues on the Trek forum but that might not mean anything.

deanphoto

Dec 14, 2018
UK
I agree that its new tech and in an industry that was largely mechanical. So you think the 2019 Levo isn't any worse off than other e-bikes ? I don't see as many issues on the Trek forum but that might not mean anything.

Perhaps it's simply that there are more Specialized sold, who knows? For what it's worth again; I've not had a single issue with mine despite not having the foam, the new casing, forever riding in grotty conditions, riding it really hard and always washing it after every ride.

mintakax

Jan 19, 2019
boulder, CO
Did you check the back of the owners manual? Dealer instructions are to remove the sticker and place in the back of manual....
Yes, sticker was not on either manual, although there is a spot labelled "SAMPLE place sticker here " where it was supposed to go :). Do you know if part of the dealer instruction is to update bike's firmware ? My bikes firmware was not updated. Not a big deal ... I'm just curious.

mintakax

Jan 19, 2019
boulder, CO
Perhaps it's simply that there are more Specialized sold, who knows? For what it's worth again; I've not had a single issue with mine despite not having the foam, the new casing, forever riding in grotty conditions, riding it really hard and always washing it after every ride.

May your good fortune continue...I hope thats the case with mine also !

Simon_t

Nov 18, 2018
Herne Bay, UK
Yes, sticker was not on either manual, although there is a spot labelled "SAMPLE place sticker here " where it was supposed to go :). Do you know if part of the dealer instruction is to update bike's firmware ? My bikes firmware was not updated. Not a big deal ... I'm just curious.
Yes it is part of the dealer instruction. Note that my bike had two stickers - one on the paperwork, and one on the underside of the downtube above the shock - you have to look to see it there.

Simon

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
Yes, I would buy another. Mine is 2018, but had I waited for 6 months and had a '19 I don't think I would be much more concerned about future reliability. Definitely some own goals but the bike hasn't been out long enough for long term reliability to be understood.
Also to put it in perspective, there are 15000 posts about Spesh bikes, and about 150 for Trek. So it will magnify any issues.

Scoobaru

Sep 6, 2018
Scotland
2018 sworks levo

What i want is a bike that gives enuff assist to help me take the pain off uphills, but still light enuff to be under 20kg

The 2019 Sworks with a smaller 500wh battery is supposed to be slightly under 20kg, for a price.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Motors yes, I agree that is new tech (at least in the context of pedal bikes) that is being refined and improved rapidly. But designing a motor casing that picks up crud and cakes electrical components in mud for weeks on end if it isn't cleaned out is hardly the result of "new technology" is it? Nor I would argue is poorly designed routing for the power lead. Certainly any degree of testing in muddy conditions would have identified the crudcatcher snafu; any experienced UK MTBer would probably have spotted it without even riding it after a look round the bike. It is telling that neither of these issues affected earlier model year bikes.

If Spec bikes were price and spec competitive with other mainstream brands it might be easier to forgive, but Levo owners are paying a substantial premium for "the most developed ebike ever". I personally think buyers have a right to expect more from Spec. YMMV.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Would you buy another Levo though Matty?
I don’t own one. It was on my list of potentials at one point, but no longer - the combination of the high price, all these issues and the fact my local Spec dealer does not seem to be an expert in ebikes means I will look elsewhere when I buy, probably around Black Friday.

atcspaul

Dec 28, 2018
Portage, Michigan
I don’t own one. It was on my list of potentials at one point, but no longer - the combination of the high price, all these issues and the fact my local Spec dealer does not seem to be an expert in ebikes means I will look elsewhere when I buy, probably around Black Friday.
How can you bash something and say you would not buy again when you never bought one in the first place? The issues you talk about I do not have. The sponge and new housing has kept my motor squeaky clean. I have had zero issues so far, I have not had long but so far all is good and their are many others that have had the same good fortune

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles