Levo Gen 2 Worldwide warranty extension on all 2019/2020 Levo and 2020 Kenevo

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
This is certany a move in the right direction by Specialized!
Now they just need to supply minimal stock (by percentage of sold bikes) of new motors to each dealer out there so they bring down the waiting time for motor replacements to max. few days and we can call this motor issue finaly resolved and trust in the brand completely restored.

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Am also curious as to how belt life has been improved without affecting power.
It'll be quite an achievement if they've managed it. Or we're about to head into the "my motor doesn't put out as much power anymore, WTF Specialized" period of ownership.

couplands

Jul 16, 2019
Peak District and Cornwall, UK
I recall in a recent hang out on Robs channel with Chris from Berkshire cycles, Chris said that most motor failures weren’t the belt but the clutch that cracked. Not sure what that means in terms of a firmware update, but a reduction in power/torque seems likely.

AdamDuckworth

Mar 3, 2019
Northamptonshire, UK
My motor went on my 2019 Levo Expert at the weekend. Only 600 miles. Called
Berkshire Cycles Co
and
Chris Reilly
, even though it was bought from LBS. Took bike down today, new-spec 2021 motor fitted in quick order while I waited, all under warranty. Amazing service.
It's new new, new motor so hopefully will last longer and my warranty is now extended by another couple of years. Good work
Specialized UK Ltd
and the team at Berkshire. If only all bike shops were like this...

Scoobaru

Sep 6, 2018
Scotland
History repeating itself at Specialized.
I had a 2007 Enduro SL with the new Spec designed own-brand suspension. There were a few issues with that and the warranty got extended to 5 years. They required you to service the bike/suspension with them but they upgraded the fork internals to 08 and again to 09 versions even when they were working ok pre-service. Also got a complete 08 shock. After one issue early on it was great for several years. One good reason why I bought Specialized again.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I had been considering getting a second bike whilst holding on to my 2019 Levo Comp. One reason was I wanted something a bit more "enduro capable" and second that with only 10 months warranty left and the odo steadily increasing I was entering the phase when I might be without a bike if the Levo motor failed.....I should add it has been faultless so far! This news coupled with upgrading to a Lyric Ultimate 160mm fork has resolved both my issues and I am very happy to stick with my Levo now!

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
This may be really good news for us 2019/2020 owners.

However, a local owner here mentioned they are also lowering power output from 90NM to 70NM. Has anyone else heard this?

I do see Spesh says "improves the reliability of the belt without compromising power or performance".

dpdsurf

Jun 22, 2019
US
Though I'm still not a fan of thinking my motor could give 20 miles deep, this makes me not as eager to sell this awesome bike now.

jaggysnake

Jul 5, 2019
uk
This may be really good news for us 2019/2020 owners.

However, a local owner here mentioned they are also lowering power output from 90NM to 70NM. Has anyone else heard this?

I do see Spesh says "improves the reliability of the belt without compromising power or performance".

Surely that's misrepresentation, you can sell something with certain specs then lower it later cause the equipment cant take it. Imagine buying a car with 200hp then a year later , sorry sir we lowering this to 150hp now.

Bencab

Feb 13, 2020
California
I bumped into Mike Sinyard at one of my rides two weeks ago. We chatted for about 10 mins on how I love my SL and why I am not yet riding a Levo. He asked me if he can get a video of my reasons why so he can show it to his people. I said yes and told him that I have friends that have motor issues and one of them already had 3 motor replacements. After my “video statement” he told me that it was a pain and that they will make it right for Levo customers. He also told me that I should be riding a Levo. I responded that they need to fix the motor issue first. Never realized that his statement of making right involve this warranty extension until I read this post

Definitely right direction!

Hi Mike, I ordered a 2021 Levo Comp.

5C026438-DCC9-49C7-960C-6B1FE6E96A29.jpeg

Last edited:

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
My recollection from this forum is that there were also failures on the previous motors (1.2 & 1.3). I have just had my 1.3 2018 Kenevo motor replaced and given I have less than a month on guarantee, my understanding is that my new motor will not be guaranteed if it goes. My last Kenevo was only ridden in dry conditions and I never washed the motor area (just used a damp rag) but something in there was making a dreadful noise when the motor got hot. I hope that now Spesh have acknowledged there are faults with the Brose motor, they will be sympathetic to claims on motors more than two years old (or even less if they have been replaced) on other Brose motors.

jaggysnake

Jul 5, 2019
uk
Bit of info from my dealer

There will be no change in the power, range or feel of your motor. The software change irons out 'ultra-short' spikes of power which were impossible to notice, but could be attributed to the failures of the belt inside the motor.

The only change you will notice is to the walk-assist function which has been reduced in power to comply with recent legislation.

All the characteristics which make the Levo / Kenevo the #1 selling eMTBs in the world remain perfectly intact.

dpdsurf

Jun 22, 2019
US
I had the update done today at my lbs. It changed the default settings in the ride modes. Turbo was at 45% peak. So I had to reset. No noticeable difference while riding. The walk mode has been dumbed down. I use to use it to raise the front end up to push it through gates and to change gears when on a steep hill. It's pretty much useless for this now. Not a big deal but just reporting on the only noticeable change.

Peter Hill

Dec 31, 2018
Derbyshire
Is anyone else here kind of now hoping their motor will fail soon so they can get a new upgraded one fitted which includes all the revisions whilst still under warranty ? I don’t want to temp fate but I would feel more confident knowing I had the latest spec motor and not just the firmware. It seems unfair that some less careful riders will end up with the new motor partly due to their more aggressive riding style and lack of technique than those of us who ride with a little more care. Just saying :)

STK

Apr 23, 2019
San Diego
Sent my 2019 Kenvo expert with 1.3 motor to LBS yesterday after it started slipping and this seems to be a common problem on both 2.1 and 1.3 motors the sprag clutch. I'm still under warranty but hope the replacement holds up and wonder if a similar case by case warranty will apply if the motor fails again. Anyone else with the Kenevo have any experience with out of warranty replacements? Thanks
8/12/20 Update: Back from LBS Black Mt with new motor and firmware update. A quick ride and the bike feels great. I didn’t think it was noisy, but new motor is almost silent. Maybe deceptive with power since it sounds more like a Tesla than a manual Toyota winding up through the gears.
Mission Control has restarted the odometer and no serial number so I can’t see when the motor was made. Wonder if any changes will be made to the 1.3 motor? Seems unlikely.

Last edited:

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
I had the update done today at my lbs. It changed the default settings in the ride modes. Turbo was at 45% peak. So I had to reset. No noticeable difference while riding. The walk mode has been dumbed down. I use to use it to raise the front end up to push it through gates and to change gears when on a steep hill. It's pretty much useless for this now. Not a big deal but just reporting on the only noticeable change.

Hmmm - sorry to hear this @dpdsurf - can you just confirm that you had to reset by going to Mission Control and adjust your TUNE settings? i.e. it wasn't a problem with the FW update but somehow your Mission Control tune settings got adjusted in the process? If so, can you confirm that everything is back to normal now?

Sorry that walk-assist is reduced, not something we wanted :(. Due to legislation this needed to be adjusted but we're hoping to find more of a happy medium here in the future.

Mark02380

Now "Mark24" 👍
Jun 5, 2019
Southampton
Called my local shop today to get the update done wanted to charge me £30, admittedly didn’t purchase the bike from them but £30 does seem steep

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
£30 quid I’m thinking don’t get the update done and hope the motor konks out before the warranty ends.

Considering the huge hop in the version number I would think there are lots of small and big fixes in there. It may also use less battery with all those “micro short spikes” removed.

Mark02380

Now "Mark24" 👍
Jun 5, 2019
Southampton
Considering the huge hop in the version number I would think there are lots of small and big fixes in there. It may also use less battery with all those “micro short spikes” removed.
Just annoys me meant to be a free update, don’t mind paying something but £30 is a ripoff

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
And it has to be done where you purchased the bike or A Specialized store?

I bought mine in Italy and had the motor replaced and the FW upgrade done at nearest shop in Norway. If it’s where you bought it it’s usually all free, but I had to pay for whatever Spec doesn’t refund the shop. So about EUR 80 for the time changing the motor and that also meant I got the FW upgrade for free short time after.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles