WOOD ! Which Splitting Axe do you use ?

Barbara_Reed

Oct 18, 2020
FR
Gosh. My wood comes from my next door neighbour, 1 metre lengths, which I chainsaw and split in the barn. It's already dry when I get it. Mostly oak. I do have a nice turning wedge for the gnarly bits. It doesn't all need splitting, he has a hydraulic splitter on his tractor and usually gets it fairly small. I do rather fancy that axe that spreads out, though.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
I guess they kiln dried the hardwood for whatever they needed that for, rather than just kiln drying the off cuts just for your BBQing pleasure :)
Still must be better than you sitting there surrounded by a dozen ornamental flaming gas burners, unless of course you just set the whole car on fire with the wood in it ...

Yeas, the hardwood mostly gets turned into stuff like this
039352D1-68C6-4A93-BA40-01A75608FDA6.jpeg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Gosh. My wood comes from my next door neighbour, 1 metre lengths, which I chainsaw and split in the barn. It's already dry when I get it. Mostly oak. I do have a nice turning wedge for the gnarly bits. It doesn't all need splitting, he has a hydraulic splitter on his tractor and usually gets it fairly small. I do rather fancy that axe that spreads out, though.
If you're getting 1m lengths, wouldn't you be a lot quicker, easier, more efficient, thinner cut with a circular saw for your handling ??

Not sure if you have one near you but Leclerc Jardin had the Scheppach HS410 on offer for €239 last week - which is a bit of a bargain !

Depends how thick your logs are though as it's not huge.

Looks like this :

1636454203487.png

Barbara_Reed

Oct 18, 2020
FR
It's an electric chainsaw, so not very heavy but yeah, that saw does look interesting. I'm having a blast on the trike, only snag on tracks that get used by tractors is that it only just fits between the ruts. And one front wheel in the rut and one on top isn't sustainable....I have tried the back wheel in the rut and one front wheel each side, but if it gets too deep I have to stop and lift it out. May have to stick to gravel during the winter. 🤔 Giving some thought to shorter cranks as well.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I'd imagine the trike with ruts would be hard going ! Would be worried about the front wheels splaying outwards or inwards too and bending the steering bar if there is one ? Maybe fat trike works with ruts ?

Barbara_Reed

Oct 18, 2020
FR
I don't go all that fast if there's ruts, so I don't think I'm risking splaying the wheels. The steering is direct, with handlebars under the boom. Fat trike would probably be better on rough tracks, but everything is a compromise, after all. What worries me more is visibility on roads, so big flag and flashing lights... Because I can fairly whizz along on a smooth surface. I added mirrors, it's quite hard to turn my head enough to see over my shoulders. I'm lying pretty flat.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles