Won't turn off

Noddy

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
Make sure you carry your key with you, after riding in wet conditions my e1 put it self in turbo and engaged the motor everywhere with out pedal in put. The bike would not turn off with the on off button, had to remove the battery to stop the bike. It did it on 2 rides took it back to the shop but they could not find anything wrong with it, luckily when i dropped it off it did it in front of one of the sales team.

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
So the demo E+1 I tried at Ashgrove Giant did the same thing to me, I was standing in the shop when it happened and the pedal whacked me in the back of the leg at full speed... Ouch!!

Hopefully this isn't a common occurrence. Have had my E+1 out in the rain once and it seemed fine, I was only on cycle paths though so it wasn't taking a hammering.

Have you left it with the bike shop now to inspect?

Noddy

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
They had it for 2 days and gave it back so i could ride over christmas. They are waiting to talk to Giant Aust, but they are closed till 7 Jan.

poppy

Jun 26, 2018
Gold Coast Queensland
So the bike went by itself as if in walk mode?

I have had mine turn on after washing it, would not turn off without taking the battery out. To start with i just had power level 1 and battery power level indicators on, pulled battery then re-installed and had all the leds on. Removed the battery and pressed the button and they lit up again so there must be a capicitor somewhere that held charge.

Noddy

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
It would reset after battery was removed over night. Tried the battery out for a couple of hours and as soon as you turned it on the bike took off.

poppy

Jun 26, 2018
Gold Coast Queensland
Mine was the same without the bike going on its own. Seem to be back to normal the next day. Obviously moisture getting to something. The only way they propel themselves is if walk mode is ingaged, so an earth between your power level and walk mode. Check your plug on the inside of the frame where your cables pass into the frame. Maybe some moisture got into the plug past the frame grommet.

friartuckshop

Jan 2, 2019
Auckland New Zealand
I have had the same issue with my E+1. Started with locking up in walk mode while taking the bike upstairs, i thought it was related to the fact that the battery was nearly flat (45k ride in horrendously wet conditions). After i charged the battery it all seemed fine (removed the battery to charge). Then went for a ride a few days later and found that it would lock out in eco+ mode, which wasn't so bad, as i still had a fun day out riding. i would remove the battery and clear the fault, but the issue would come straight back after a couple of mins riding. I took it back to the shop the following day, and they had the giant service tech inspect it, and the replaced the ride controller with one from a demo bike, and it seems to have fixed the issue. so i would take it back to the dealers and have them replace the controller, as i am starting to think that this maybe an issue with some of these bikes. now my issue with the bike is i have destroyed the free hub, happened on Boxing day, so am waiting for Giant to reopen to warranty repair the hub. Havent been able to ride it since then

poppy

Jun 26, 2018
Gold Coast Queensland
I have had the same issue with my E+1. Started with locking up in walk mode while taking the bike upstairs, i thought it was related to the fact that the battery was nearly flat (45k ride in horrendously wet conditions). After i charged the battery it all seemed fine (removed the battery to charge). Then went for a ride a few days later and found that it would lock out in eco+ mode, which wasn't so bad, as i still had a fun day out riding. i would remove the battery and clear the fault, but the issue would come straight back after a couple of mins riding. I took it back to the shop the following day, and they had the giant service tech inspect it, and the replaced the ride controller with one from a demo bike, and it seems to have fixed the issue. so i would take it back to the dealers and have them replace the controller, as i am starting to think that this maybe an issue with some of these bikes. now my issue with the bike is i have destroyed the free hub, happened on Boxing day, so am waiting for Giant to reopen to warranty repair the hub. Havent been able to ride it since then

I have done 2 now so a new one will be my 3rd. I came across a vid on youtube from a bloke in New Zealand from 2 weeks ago with the same issue. With mine, the 1st destroyed the ratchet and pawls and the second destroyed a pawl and spun the body inside the hub. Have had the bike since Oct 18. Being under warranty is fine and have not any issue with the boys at the shop fixing it, they have been absolutely awesome the whole time, and i guess it can keep being replaced under warranty but that isn't really a solution to the problem.

friartuckshop

Jan 2, 2019
Auckland New Zealand
I have done 2 now so a new one will be my 3rd. I came across a vid on youtube from a bloke in New Zealand from 2 weeks ago with the same issue. With mine, the 1st destroyed the ratchet and pawls and the second destroyed a pawl and spun the body inside the hub. Have had the bike since Oct 18. Being under warranty is fine and have not any issue with the boys at the shop fixing it, they have been absolutely awesome the whole time, and i guess it can keep being replaced under warranty but that isn't really a solution to the problem.
I was starting to think this might be an issue with the Hubs, couldn't find too much info on them. Your right as long as they are still under warranty no issue, apart from not being able to ride them. I think if it happens again, i will put pressure on Giant to upgrade the wheel set or payout to upgrade to a aftermarket hub (hope or DT swiss).

poppy

Jun 26, 2018
Gold Coast Queensland
I was starting to think this might be an issue with the Hubs, couldn't find too much info on them. Your right as long as they are still under warranty no issue, apart from not being able to ride them. I think if it happens again, i will put pressure on Giant to upgrade the wheel set or payout to upgrade to a aftermarket hub (hope or DT swiss).

Your post timing could not have been better. I have been on the www looking at hubs, how they work, trying to find info as to where to head. Your right about there not being much info around. Hard to find and that may be the only answer. I feel bad for the boys and the owner of the Shop, everytime i go in there poor buggers must think, what now. Just once we would like to see him walk through the door without his bike?. Not once have they looked at me funny going this guy is Errol Flynn and fucks everything he touches. My bike is at the shop as well now, but Giant Aus is on holidays till the 7th, so just have to ride my camber comp until we can sort it.

Sorry Noddy, bit derailed from the turning off issues.

friartuckshop

Jan 2, 2019
Auckland New Zealand
Generally i haven't had to much drama with getting things looked when i have had issues with other bikes in the past (giant road bikes), but just bad timing with the holidays and such. I think i will actually look at replacing the wheels asap. But its a pretty big expense on top of an already pricey purchase. Waiting to hear back from the bike shop now whether they have have approval to repair from giant nz yet

friartuckshop

Jan 2, 2019
Auckland New Zealand
Your post timing could not have been better. I have been on the www looking at hubs, how they work, trying to find info as to where to head. Your right about there not being much info around. Hard to find and that may be the only answer. I feel bad for the boys and the owner of the Shop, everytime i go in there poor buggers must think, what now. Just once we would like to see him walk through the door without his bike?. Not once have they looked at me funny going this guy is Errol Flynn and fucks everything he touches. My bike is at the shop as well now, but Giant Aus is on holidays till the 7th, so just have to ride my camber comp until we can sort it.

Sorry Noddy, bit derailed from the turning off issues.
I have started a new thread regarding the freehub issues Trance E Freehub issues - EMTB Forums

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
So would you believe this started happening again 3 days into lockdown? really bummed out that I now can't go for little rides to keep my sanity.

does anyone have a way to fix this controller issue?

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I've not had any probs since sealing the plug from the controller, its in the left side cable entry point in headstock.
Where did you access it from? I didnt see this connector on 2019 trance e+, though I only removed the battery for peak.

Thanks in advance

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
Where did you access it from? I didnt see this connector on 2019 trance e+, though I only removed the battery for peak.

Thanks in advance
Its where the cables go in thru the rubber grommet on the left side of the steerer tube, pull the grommet out and gently pull on the controller wire.

20200401_122038.jpg

friartuckshop

Jan 2, 2019
Auckland New Zealand
So would you believe this started happening again 3 days into lockdown? really bummed out that I now can't go for little rides to keep my sanity.

does anyone have a way to fix this controller issue?
Dam that f...
I guess you can try to dry the controller/connectors out. but my experience with electrical products is that that it is only a short term fix, with any metal connections eventually rusting, causing failure of the IC's. linked with a giant owner group on FB, mainly based out of england, and was amazed to see how many on there were on there 3rd or 4th controller. Does get pretty wet over there but. Has the controller started working again dutchman?

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
Dam that f...
I guess you can try to dry the controller/connectors out. but my experience with electrical products is that that it is only a short term fix, with any metal connections eventually rusting, causing failure of the IC's. linked with a giant owner group on FB, mainly based out of england, and was amazed to see how many on there were on there 3rd or 4th controller. Does get pretty wet over there but. Has the controller started working again dutchman?
Yup back running. Needed 2 days to dry out.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Its where the cables go in thru the rubber grommet on the left side of the steerer tube, pull the grommet out and gently pull on the controller wire.

View attachment 28106
How much wiring did you pull before getting to a connector? I pulled about 6 inches through and the cord gets tight, but no connection visible. I may need to remove the battery lock on mine.

Thanks in advance.

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
How much wiring did you pull before getting to a connector? I pulled about 6 inches through and the cord gets tight, but no connection visible. I may need to remove the battery lock on mine.

Thanks in advance.
Probably that much, are you doing it with the rubber grommet removed? Mine came out fairly easily, if its tight don't carry on before trying lock removal, I couldnt figure out how to get lock out.....would really suck if plug got separated inside frame ? sorry I can't offer any more help than that.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Probably that much, are you doing it with the rubber grommet removed? Mine came out fairly easily, if its tight don't carry on before trying lock removal, I couldnt figure out how to get lock out.....would really suck if plug got separated inside frame ? sorry I can't offer any more help than that.
No need for sorry! I appreciate the information, thanks. I did take the grommet out, and got about 1/2 foot of cord easy, then it stopped abruptly. I'll just have to remove the lock, if I get determined enough.?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles