Wireless earphones

benny.c

Apr 21, 2019
North West
Aftershokz Trekz Titanium for me. I like that they don’t hurt my ears over longer periods and you can also hear what’s going on around you. Not as good sound quality as in-ear buds but I don’t want to be full isolated from what’s going on around me so a good trade off. They fit fine under my two open face lids and battery life is decent enough.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
How do you react to what’s going on on the streets or on the trail when you have filled your ears with music?

Karsten

I'm with khorn on that one, but then I don't know where you're riding. My hearing is a huge part of my riding, be it the chatter of a random tourist on a blind bend on a down hill, the sound of a deer about to charge across from nowhere.

wildsau2

Jul 6, 2018
Germany, Karlsruhe
i use powerbeats pro (one side only) on my commuting or ultra rides / brevets and for navigation with komoot. perfect fit, good sound. good music control, good mic for calls and siri. 9h capacity. 20h with box (charger included).
no problem to hear the world around me. both sides work independent, so you can choose right or left side, or both when youre not riding.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I use JLAB EPIC AIR. I needed something that attaches around the ears securely
36 hour total play time as the box charges them and can also charge your phone if needed as it can act as a power pack. Quite expensive as they were well over £100 but they do the job. They have built in microphone and you can control the volume and switch tracks by tapping on them but I find that quite fiddly.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I'm the opposite I don't enjoy riding as much without music, I hate the click and clacks of the tyres or frame hitting sticks and rocks or the shock bouncing around. I use galaxy buds and they work well as you can store your music on the device so no need to rely on a Bluetooth connection for music although you can use Bluetooth if you want to stream Spotify etc

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The only time I need ear phones is if I am using Komoot to navigate a tour. I started out just using the wired ear buds you tend to get free with a phone but the cable gets in the way so I looked for wireless versions. Now I find it impossible to keep ear buds in my ears...they must be the wrong shape or something....plus I really do not like things stuck in my ears. So I looked for alternatives. What I came up with are Kamtron mini ear phones ( ie not buds) from Amazon. The 2 headphones are joined by a flexible chord that fits over the top of each ear and then around the back of your head. Regardless how rough the going gets they stay perfectly in place. They do not block ambient sound and the navigate instructions from Komoot come over loud and clear. They have all the usual functionality for answering a phone call and listening to music etc but my use is purely for Kommot so I cannot vouch for stereo quality etc. They were cheap and do the job I want excellently.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Many riding areas down here don't allow earphones and more are seeming to follow suit.
Used to ride with them way back as I found a certain rythym helped me keep my cadence in the 90 range where I could do huge 8hr+ rides but have seen too many incidents on the trail where warning calls were missed so stopped using them. Actually found I was riding better because I could hear things that gave me indicators as to how my tires or suspension are working.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I use mine for navigating with Komoot, and often on long rides I listen to Audible audiobooks.

I have problems that most earphones don't stay in my ears so I got ones with the wing to help them stay put.
I jad some JVC ones that were good, but lost them.
Now I have
Mpow mpbh088ar & ab-mt and am very happy with them.

Gee

Jun 20, 2019
South Wales
I use these Sony ones whilst riding...

Sony WS410 Walkman® WS Series

It's an MP3 player rather than just headphones altho I'm sure they do a Bluetooth version.

They allow you to hear what's going on around you and can even amplify it if needed which works brilliant especially if someone talks to you or there is a car/other riders coming from behind. They are also waterproof if you end up in a river.

Jeb

Jul 17, 2019
Colorado
I use these Sony ones whilst riding...

Sony WS410 Walkman® WS Series

It's an MP3 player rather than just headphones altho I'm sure they do a Bluetooth version.

They allow you to hear what's going on around you and can even amplify it if needed which works brilliant especially if someone talks to you or there is a car/other riders coming from behind. They are also waterproof if you end up in a river.
They don’t interfere with sunglasses or helmet? ?

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Anyone tried the bone conducting headphones that leave your ears clear? I think @Al Boneta recommended some

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Hell no.

I need to hear what my tires are doing among other things.

I've used headphones on and off road for over 20 years.
if you use hard plastic in ear phones (as opposed to squishy ones). it's perfectly possible to hear your tyres AND tunes. Infact that's exactly how I set my volume for ON road use.
it takes a bit of trial and error to find a bud shape that stays put in your ear but doesn't completely close the entrance to your ear.
IMO noise cancelling is also a big NO NO for riding safely.

I use one of these

mw600w.jpg

Iit's an old Sony MW600.. They're really high quality bits of kit (for their time) quite hard to find these days but still available.
It clips to my top, has all the controls you'd want, ie. Stop, pause, play, next track, prev track, FFWD RWD and call functioning. 3 bluetooth channels, an FM radio (which works really well) and a LED track name/title/function display. and as it has a 3.5 jack it also allows freedom of choice in headphones.

Armeniandave

Sep 10, 2018
San Diego, California
I wear only the right earbud (Jaybird Run) and have
the volume low. It's really background music for my
ride and doesn't interfere at all with listening to whats
around me. It's kind of like listening to elevator music,
you hear it but don't focus on it.

Eid

Apr 27, 2019
Norway
i use powerbeats pro and apple watch with apple music and its amazing! i dont even bring my phone with me on rides anymore :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles