Winterizing the Decoy - Battery Storage

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
Well being from Canada, our riding season is coming to an end, so I'll be winterizing the Decoy very soon. The white evil flakes are on the way soon.

Will be storing for approximately 4-5 months :(

The question is how to properly store the battery. I have done some research and the general internet feedback (as stuff on the internet is always accurate - lol) is to remove and store the battery is a cool environment at approx. 80% charge.

Then there is the recommendation to charge every month or so ?? Ok if its stored at 80% .. how can you charge every month or so and maintain 80% ??

Any feedback would be appreciated?

I used to store motorcycle batteries over the winter using a smart trickle charger that optimized life of the battery. Any such thing for a decoy ??:unsure:

Cheers :coffee::coffee: (we need a beer smilie)

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Personally I think storing inside the house a better option in snow country - just somewhere it is not going to be cooked by the fire or heating. No need to recharge if you have it around 70% - should be good for 6 months with no issues.

Pabs

Jul 27, 2019
London
The label on the battery recommends charging every three months even when not in use. No mention of what kind of charge, but aim for 3 solid LED's as a storage charge. My battery always lives inside the house when not using the bike regardless of outside weather conditions (y)

Duelsy

Oct 22, 2019
England
Personally I think storing inside the house a better option in snow country - just somewhere it is not going to be cooked by the fire or heating. No need to recharge if you have it around 70% - should be good for 6 months with no issues.

100% stored inside, although I keep all my bikes inside the house (much to the dismay of others I'm sure). Bikes are far to valuable to be stored in my shed.

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
Thanks all … I guess I'll have to go ride it again to get the battery to 70% :unsure::love:

Yeah bike always stays inside. I would rather have my truck stolen than my bike. Heck if there was room in my bed, my wife would be sleeping on the floor and the decoy beside me under the blankets (insert .. if she reads this … I am kidding .. so seriously I am .. it was a guy thing .. no really .. :LOL:)

Cheers to all (y):coffee:

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Batteries always go inside the house. Keep around 60% charged. Only charge them full if I know I am going to ride next day. Takes about 2-2.5 hours then to charge to 100%.

Mauko

Jul 16, 2019
Finland
Winter riding is so much fun. 45NRTH Wrathchilds arriving next week. I would not make it through the wimter without riding. Also you learn a lot technique wise..
Adjustments.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles