Winter riding

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
So with summer all but over, what do you seasoned riders do when the days get shorter and muddier? Still go out whatever the weather?

This is the first year that I've been cycling regularly and with my fitness improving I don't want that to slip.

Any recommendations for decent waterproof kit?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I ride all year round but summer or winter I pick days with decent weather. In the winter the only real change is picking where to ride if there has been a lot of rain. My most regular spots are mostly Pine forest so the ground is typically light loam not claggy mud and because the forests are on the side of steep hills the ground is in any case well drained ( maybe not at the bottom!). In terms of clothing...just more layers when its cold.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Been riding all year round for decades. but my advice probably isn't even valid for most as I really don' feel the cold like most normal human beings.
lots of my winter riding is after dark so decent lights is obviously a must. (head torch and bar lights)
Clothing wise, other than a set of waterproof 3/4 shorts and waterproof socks I don't bother with waterproofs at all for mtb as I generally overheat with them on. but If it's really cold I just ride harder to keep warm. A light Gilet keeps the wind chill out for me. so long as I keep moving I just don't get cold arms or hands though.
Really cold but dry weather I'll wear riding trousers rather than shorts. but still no jacket.
I also never ever take a pack with me so what I'm wearing at the start is all i have. Most folk layer up and use a pack to carry a spare top/jacket and discard warmer items into when they've warmed up
I love riding mud all year round. But on dry tyres as it's masses of fun drifting out and scrabbling for traction. Mud riding is more technical, slower and more tiring/energy sapping (even on an Emtb) so take that into account when choosing/planning routes (night or day).
Probably stick with routes/terrain your familiar with at first too. Especially if riding solo/

If you do go for full waterproofs try to find the most breathable stuff you can afford. even then nothing is so breathable you won't get wet from your own body temp/sweat/condensation if you ride hard.
With clothing trial and error is the way you'll get heat/waterproofness for winter riding right and eventually with experience it becomes second nature.

Eebs are awesome in winter and allow you to ride where you'd be pushing on a regular bike.

Enjoy!

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Thanks both...

Most of my riding is ridgeway/by-ways etc so very muddy when wet!

I agree with the waterproof stuff, I to tend to sweat a lot with fully waterproof clothing on. I don't feel the cold that much really, 25 years of working on cold building sites has helped with that.

Any brand recommendations regarding the 3/4 shorts?

I always carry a back pack so have the option of carrying extra layers.

Also I was thinking of putting new tyres on for the winter and keeping my part worn Minions for next year... :unsure:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Any brand recommendations regarding the 3/4 shorts?
My favourite pair are from Altura but no longer made anymore. #muchsadness.
Madison do some at a decent price I believe. prob best to try on a few before you buy tho. fally down shorts are hellish enough BEFORE they're covered in heavy wet mud. ;)
Also I was thinking of putting new tyres on for the winter and keeping my part worn Minions for next year... :unsure:
If you like minions you'll probably get on well with Magic Marys too. They're a lot better in the mud but still work really well in the dry too.

I like a DHF in the mud tho. Zero braking ability, loses grip like bambi on ice but is still hugely predictable when going sideways ;)

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
My favourite pair are from Altura but no longer made anymore. #muchsadness.
Madison do some at a decent price I believe. prob best to try on a few before you buy tho. fally down shorts are hellish enough BEFORE they're covered in heavy wet mud. ;)
If you like minions you'll probably get on well with Magic Marys too. They're a lot better in the mud but still work really well in the dry too.

I like a DHF in the mud tho. Zero braking ability, loses grip like bambi on ice but is still hugely predictable when going sideways ;)

I do tend to have an unplanned lie down during a ride, well wet ride anyway, so whatever I'm wearing is likely to end up covered in mud :giggle:

Hmm, I think your skills are on a slightly different level to mine ;) I like the DHFs but yes they're not great when it's wet and muddy, maybe I'll look into the Magic Marys.

Thanks (y)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles