Winter-ising the 2019 E-Sommet

N1ck

Dec 10, 2018
UK
I'm hopefully going to get my bike back next week from Madison, the whole thing has had to go them to fix whatever electrical issue it has.

Anyway, I want to get it ready for winter and try to keep out as much of the crap and water as possible. I've read about people moto-foaming their motors etc, where is this installed exactly? Under the covers / between the motor and frame?

Can anyone recommend a decent rear mudguard that actually stops crap from flicking up there in the first place? Same for front as well I guess.

Rock guard for the motor - I'm not convinced on the £55 rockguardz one without seeing how stiff one is in person, looks too thin to me on the photos on the website. Anyone using one, or an alternative that will cope with rockstrikes? Not had one myself yet but am now conscious of it.

Thanks,

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
I fitted a Mudhugger FR to the rear of my new Whyte emtb. Fitted like a dream, no cutting or chopping required. I think others have successfully fitted these to the rear of their bikes with a bit of fettling, seems to be the go to mudguard to protect the motor from clagging up.

Tuplis

Mar 16, 2019
Finland
I have Rrp "Front" at rear.
Also use AssSaver on the seat when commuting.

And yes, it was too soon for studded tires

IMG_20191102_120812.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I run RRP rear and front guards - the rear keeps crap out the frame pivots, but not off the rider. Put Moto Foam in the gap between the frame and motor to keep crap from accumulating in there.

IMG_4670.jpeg

N1ck

Dec 10, 2018
UK
I run RRP rear and front guards - the rear keeps crap out the frame pivots, but not off the rider. Put Moto Foam in the gap between the frame and motor to keep crap from accumulating in there.

View attachment 21389

Cheers. Got guards on order now. Does the motor need to be dropped to fit the motofoam or do you wedge it in from above?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
you could wedge it in but its easy enough to drop the front of the motor by taking out the front bolts, just be careful with the wiring. you can also put some Moto foam behind the wiring panel on the left hand side of the motor.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
fitting a front RRP proguard max (long version) mudguard fitted where R120 has his rear guard does a far better job of protecting the chain chain guide, lower pivots, shock and motor as it extends right down to the chainstay yoke. As you can see in R120s pic his chainguide and chainstay yoke area (and presumably lower shock mount/pivot) are covered in slush fired in there by the guard. sort of the opposite of what you want a guard to do. Shit pics but hopefully you get the idea...
DSC_1843.JPG
DSC_2089.JPG
IMG_20190926_184547_384.jpg

I didn't drop my motor to fit the motofoam on my current Esommet (I've fitted moto foam to quite a few Vitus' and did drop some). it's fitted under the wiring nest and I also have a plastic flap over the top of that stopping spray getting in. I fitted more to plug the gap to the top of the motor when you have the wiring connection bay open. and my motor bay cover is silicone sealed and taped (one piece of electrical tape.

Pretty sure if you search the forum you'd find pics I posted of all this somewhere.

Last edited:

N1ck

Dec 10, 2018
UK
That's the guard I've bought, the longer front version. Figured I could trim it down to fit if it was too long.

Cheers guys.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah, no cutting required. mibbie stick some mastic on the inside of your seatstays though so it stays in place even better. It will also protect your paint (if you're bothered about that ;) )

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
fitting a front RRP proguard max (long version) mudguard fitted where R120 has his rear guard does a far better job of protecting the chain chain guide, lower pivots, shock and motor as it extends right down to the chainstay yoke. As you can see in R120s pic his chainguide and chainstay yoke area (and presumably lower shock mount/pivot) are covered in slush fired in there by the guard. sort of the opposite of what you want a guard to do. Shit pics but hopefully you get the idea...
View attachment 21446 View attachment 21447 View attachment 21448

I didn't drop my motor to fit the motofoam on my current Esommet (I've fitted moto foam to quite a few Vitus' and did drop some). it's fitted under the wiring nest and I also have a plastic flap over the top of that stopping spray getting in. I fitted more to plug the gap to the top of the motor when you have the wiring connection bay open. and my motor bay cover is silicone sealed and taped (one piece of electrical tape.

Pretty sure if you search the forum you'd find pics I posted of all this somewhere.

Which front guard is that ? Doesn't look like the crud catcher XL, similar maybe, but not the same. I still sometimes get a face full of crap with the front mudhugger, but it stops most of it.

I have the mud hugger front also on the rear of the kenevo to protect the linkages, it helps, but not as much as it should. I also tend to run a cube race guard off the bottom of the seat post, otherwise I get covered and a lot gets flung forwards.

Like this :

guard.jpg

I don't particularly like running the cube rear as it flaps about and can bottom out. Tried it two days ago without to refresh my memory and within 200 meters my arse was dripping and 90% of the bike was caked in mud from forward throw - including my phone in it's mount (was running a test). The RR Proguard max (on the rear) appears to extend further round the wheel and has the extra lip, so this should in theory considerably reduce forward flick and linkage gunking. You can see from the picture that the mudhugger front on the rear won't stop much forward flick.

HampshireSam

Jan 17, 2020
Hampshire
I've just fitted the front proguard onto the rear of my 2020 e-sommet vrs. Yet to ride with it on. The chain seems very close when on the 51tooth cog. Is this not a problem on the 2019 bike?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles