Will a bigger rotor help? + showing off my bike ?

Specfan

Apr 11, 2021
Toronto, Canada
Hi guys I’ve got a 2019 Specialized Rockhopper Pro check out the pic in the park by the hill. Looking for a bridge will add one if I can! Actually I just remembered that was more of a Reddit thing (bike-on-bridge) but what the heck I added another picture ?
0D500A6E-DE92-4E15-BD1D-8EC951968FF0.jpeg

A899A1ED-B134-40B6-9997-9787048EEA70.jpeg
895C98A9-714F-420D-9986-6A5C27F8575C.jpeg
0EF20094-7DCF-4440-BE00-22ACB0DB55F4.jpeg

The brakes seem really weak to haul my 178lbs down, and I wondered if I could improve for stopping by putting bigger rotor on?

Brakes are: Shimano BR-MT200, hydraulic disc, 180mm
REAR BRAKE Shimano BR-MT200, hydraulic disc, 160mm

What if I went 200/180?

Is there a cheap dual piston set up I can do for the front? It’s shimano.

Last edited:

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
A bigger rotor will help a bit but you really want four piston brakes to get the good braking. If you want good value, get the Deore MT6120 brakes. I'm significantly heavier than you and they stop me really well.

Super easy to install too:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Hi guys I’ve got a 2019 Specialized Rockhopper Pro check out the pic in the park by the hill. Looking for a bridge will add one if I can! Actually I just remembered that was more of a Reddit thing (bike-on-bridge) but what the heck I added another picture ?
View attachment 63396
View attachment 63388 View attachment 63389 View attachment 63390

The brakes seem really weak to haul my 178lbs down, and I wondered if I could improve for stopping by putting bigger rotor on?

Brakes are: Shimano BR-MT200, hydraulic disc, 180mm
REAR BRAKE Shimano BR-MT200, hydraulic disc, 160mm

What if I went 200/180?

Is there a cheap dual piston set up I can do for the front? It’s shimano.
bigger rotors will really improve stopping power and are cheap - so would be easy to try - you'll also need new adapters to move the calipers out to suit the bigger rotors.

It might also be worth ensuring that the current pads and rotors are not contaminated with oil first - even the tiniest of amounts can really adversly affect power.

Pads can be fairly effectively decontaminated (assuming they're not soaked in oil) by heating up in a gas flame for a minute or two. rotors can just be cleaned using soap and water.

Specfan

Apr 11, 2021
Toronto, Canada
bigger rotors will really improve stopping power and are cheap - so would be easy to try - you'll also need new adapters to move the calipers out to suit the bigger rotors.

It might also be worth ensuring that the current pads and rotors are not contaminated with oil first - even the tiniest of amounts can really adversly affect power.

Pads can be fairly effectively decontaminated (assuming they're not soaked in oil) by heating up in a gas flame for a minute or two. rotors can just be cleaned using soap and water.

Specfan

Apr 11, 2021
Toronto, Canada
Thanks very much! I’m wondering if I should do the rotors or just skip to it and do four piston calipers. Original Shimano rotors seem a bit pretty pricey.

Good tip on the pad cleaning I will definitely figure out how to remove those and clean them!

Specfan

Apr 11, 2021
Toronto, Canada
A bigger rotor will help a bit but you really want four piston brakes to get the good braking. If you want good value, get the Deore MT6120 brakes. I'm significantly heavier than you and they stop me really well.

Wow thanks for all the info and the install link! Those look really good and you’re right the pricing is good. I found them in a local Canadian shop for 329+ tax w/free delivery.

Was wondering about this SRAM Guide RE’s I think they’re called. they are a beefy 4 piston caliper as well designed for E bikes.

Are used to be a big Shimano fan but now I’m liking the SRAM stuff a little bit more (shifting just seems a little more *click* positive?) but in brake systems they seem about equal.

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
I personally went Shimano because they use mineral oil so bleeding them myself is a bit easier/safer.

On the same channel as the install guide, he does a deep-dive video into those exact M6120 brakes.

Guy Tristan

Jul 8, 2022
Sunny devon
I’ve had the 2.piston Calipers and they’re not bad but they do have a problem stopping once you switch over to 4 ports the performance difference is mind blowing night and day difference, I would definitely recommend anything shimano

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles