Whyte's integrated seat clamp ?

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Day off riding, so been chasing a few creaks. All sorted ??

I notice on my E160 I have the same issue I had on my T130. Even though the seat clamp is marked up as 14 Nm max, with a dropper post, anything over 4 Nm causes the dropper to bind.

At just 4 Nm my seatpost creaks in the frame. If I do the bolt up tighter, creak stops (but can't use the dropper obviously).

It's the one thing on Whytes I wish they would get rid of, just use a standard collar clamp.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
14nm seems a lot!! Most seat collars only use c 5nm. I dont have your issue on my E 180RS. Maybe the seat post needs to be removed , cleaned and re assembled with an assembly compound??

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
I know! It was only 6 Nm max on the T130. Yeah, that's my workaround. I cleaned the seatpost off tonight but have run out of assembly compound. Will do when it turns up and hopefully it will stay put.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Ta. Yeah, used some grease yesterday and it's now quiet again. Will see what happens on a longer ride later.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
After a few more mucky rides it is back to creaking again ?

So now tried the assembly compound, quiet so far. The only other thing left I can do is disassemble the actual integrated seat clamp mechanism and give it a clean up/grease.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Have you been regressing it every month because correct me if I’m wrong but I’m sure Whyte recommend this

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Yeah, I have. Only had the bike a month yesterday actually - creaks after a couple of rides. No biggie, I've had the same with other Whytes.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Unthinkable I know but the clamp could be faulty, can you not take it to your LBS and get them to check it out or contact Whyte directly, I’m sure they’ll sort it out, they were absolutely bang on when my derailleur fixing screw sheered off, they sent me a brand new seat stay

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
I'll mention it. It's well overdue its 100-mile check over, so should take it in any way really ?? Having too much fun riding it!

d4ve86

Aug 21, 2020
UK
Mine creaked, drove me mad. Took it all out, and the dropper, cleaned and greased the necessary parts.
I torque it to 13nm, no issues with the dropper at that torque. Doesn't creak anymore.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
A fellow creak sufferer! No way I'd get that clamp up to 13Nm with the TransX dropper, perhaps they're more susceptible. About 5Nm max on mine or the dropper doesn't work.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles