Whyte T129 conversion

Alfie

Oct 14, 2020
Yorkshire
Hi,

I'm looking to convert my 2014 Whyte T129 to electric.

I have worked out the motor will fit but the battery is proving to be a problem. The frame triangle is too small to fit a battery pack. I have made a rough mockup to see if it will fit under the tube but wheel fouls the battery when the suspension is compressed. My mockup I very rough maybe the actual battery would be a better fit.

Has anyone converted a T129 and if so what was your solution?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Alfie

battery.jpg

Alfie

Oct 14, 2020
Yorkshire
I have not converted one either, but are you serious? :eek: Just NO

HahaHa, I'm not going down the route of having the battery underslung. I have found a member who has converted one with custom built batteries. He has very kindly talked me through every thing I need to do for the conversion.

I have been mountain biking for the best part of 30yrs and bought this bike new in 2014. Just before my hip decided to give up the ghost. After a failed operation and a lot of pain and rehab I am looking at getting back in the saddle. My down hilling days are over, I just want something to get me riding again and the electric route seems like a good option.

I'll keep you posted on how things are going.

Last edited:

Alfie

Oct 14, 2020
Yorkshire
The Tongsheng mid-hub is the way I'm going.

I'm looking at using a small pack in the triangle built from 21700 cells (13S2P).

To be honest I could just go buy a bike off the shelf but I fancy having a bit of fun with the bike I already have. It will keep me out of trouble for a week or two.

Alfie

Oct 14, 2020
Yorkshire
Hi, I managed to get get my bike converted at last.

This is it in commuter mode with road tyres. As soon as the rain stops here those mudguards will be gone and the Knobblies will be back on.

48v 500w, weighs in at 20.5kg, running custom firmware. I have two battery options at the moment, 8 and 12ah, both fit securely in frame bags. I did have to reverse the shock to get the battery packs to fit. Other than that everything else is standard.

bike 8ah.jpg
chain ring 1.jpg
chain ring 3.jpg
cahin ring 2.jpg
bike 12ah.jpg

Singletrack Scene

Nov 14, 2020
Nottingham
Hi, I managed to get get my bike converted at last.

This is it in commuter mode with road tyres. As soon as the rain stops here those mudguards will be gone and the Knobblies will be back on.

48v 500w, weighs in at 20.5kg, running custom firmware. I have two battery options at the moment, 8 and 12ah, both fit securely in frame bags. I did have to reverse the shock to get the battery packs to fit. Other than that everything else is standard.

View attachment 50965 View attachment 50968 View attachment 50969 View attachment 50967 View attachment 50966
Nice!

Alfie

Oct 14, 2020
Yorkshire
@Alfie I would be interested to know where you sourced the parts as I’m looking at doing one for the missus

The motor is the TSDZ2 48v 500w. I purchased it from Amazon before Christmas although that route is now closed due to Breshit. You may be able to find one in the uk, but I imagine the easiest route would be Aliexpress. The kit comes with everything you need apart from the battery. Because of the shape of the frame I had to build the batteries myself. A major saving over buying one off the shelf, even with the cost of having to buy a battery welder. The Wild Man case and Revelate frame bag can be bought from various places online.

I am running custom firmware with the 860c display although the motor performs pretty well out of the box.

Let me know if you go down this route and I try to help as much as I can.

Last edited:

Alfie

Oct 14, 2020
Yorkshire
Cheers, yes I went to say which display did you go for, but just read earlier you went for the 860c?

I have read you can get an alloy replacement main gear, but that will probably increase noise, I will stick with the nylon.

I have a metal gear but not fitted it. If/when the nylon one gives up the ghost I'll put it in.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles