Whyte Shape.It link/shock extender

d4ve86

Aug 21, 2020
UK
From a rough measurement H is the 12.5mm higher setting. Although its not clear when you take the link out the box

Nakedebiker

Jul 7, 2020
West Yorkshire
I've paused the video and cropped the screen shot and it seems the black coloured version is the alternative size?
20201020_202128.jpg

1Squadr0n

Dec 6, 2019
UK
I'm a bit confused, but also maybe not...

I was surprised to see that the new link gave a BB height increase of 12mm. That seemed a lot and seemed to equate to a significant head angle change. I had been hoping for a more subtle adjustment....

....Which appears to be what the '02 link offers? BB height +/- 4mm? And half a deg head angle?

I have renewed interest now, as I think a few mm is worth trying, for me. Since I lifted my front end by 10mm I feel that on flatter, more XC type riding, it could *maybe* do with a teeny little extra support from the rear. Not +12mm on the BB or even 10 or 8. I know that would be too much.

I won't dive in as it's somewhere down the list of priorities, but I would welcome any feedback from someone in a similar position.

(E2A: Mine is a 2020 model E150RS)

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
58mm on the e-160 would be interesting to try but not having the necessary tools feels a bit of a moot point. Just to get that little bit slacker without much change in the BB.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
My first impression after 23 miles on a E160 running about 30% sag.
It felt like I had raised the seat higher, felt more on the bike rather than in the bike that I had with my old set up.
Stopped mid ride and lowered the seat a tad to get the position back.

In terms of head angle, steering speed , handling etc, I can't say I noticed any change really on a first ride.
I did a loop that included rocky lanes that I'd expect to get crank strikes if I didn't avoid them and I got one very slight contact and I didn't try to avoid anything just rode the line.

I guess people may get a different impression dependant on bike and current setup.
For me it delivered what I was expecting.

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
My first impression after 23 miles on a E160 running about 30% sag.
It felt like I had raised the seat higher, felt more on the bike rather than in the bike that I had with my old set up.
Stopped mid ride and lowered the seat a tad to get the position back.

In terms of head angle, steering speed , handling etc, I can't say I noticed any change really on a first ride.
I did a loop that included rocky lanes that I'd expect to get crank strikes if I didn't avoid them and I got one very slight contact and I didn't try to avoid anything just rode the line.

I guess people may get a different impression dependant on bike and current setup.
For me it delivered what I was expecting.
i've bought the link for my E 160. I can't get my head around the H/L markings versus the location of the bush hole. When the hole is at the rear I would have thought the shock is extended and therefore BB higher. Yet that is the L setting as marked on the yoke. Am I being dumb? Have to take the shock out again and work through the geometry logic.

Nakedebiker

Jul 7, 2020
West Yorkshire
i've bought the link for my E 160. I can't get my head around the H/L markings versus the location of the bush hole. When the hole is at the rear I would have thought the shock is extended and therefore BB higher. Yet that is the L setting as marked on the yoke. Am I being dumb? Have to take the shock out again and work through the geometry logic.
The H & L markings are correct, as you are effectively increasing the eye to eye length of the shock. The hole needs to be at the front (H) to make the yoke further from the point where the shock mounts to the frame.

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
The H & L markings are correct, as you are effectively increasing the eye to eye length of the shock. The hole needs to be at the front (H) to make the yoke further from the point where the shock mounts to the frame.

I emailed Whyte and was pleased that they reverted promptly. Good service. Here's what they said on the matter:

Thanks for your email, it’s always great to hear from riders.

Unfortunately, you have discovered an error in our documentation. The shape it link guide shows the H and L positions the incorrect way round. The shape.it link can be a little tricky to visualise, but they work by shortening or lengthening the overall length of the shock and extension assembly.

When the hole in hole in the bush is orientated closest to the shock body itself, it effectively shortens the shock assembly lowering the BB and slackening the head angle.

With the bush the other way round, the extension is pushed out away from the shock body, raising the BB and steepening the head angle.

You can normally insert and remove the bush itself numerous times before wear and tear sets in. However we’ve managed to find a spare floating about and put that in the post yesterday for you.

We’ll get the error on the documents corrected asap too.

This explanation makes sense to me and reflects how I was interpreting the geometry adjustment. Then it is a question of what the markings are meant to represent. If they represent the rear edge of the brass insert for instance that is consistent with the explanation above. I have asked them to clarify that and to include a clearer explanation in the documentation.

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
At the risk of sounding extremely dense, I am not totally sure how to tell what setting I am in. If the brass tab is visible at the front end, does that mean I am in the high position?

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
At the risk of sounding extremely dense, I am not totally sure how to tell what setting I am in. If the brass tab is visible at the front end, does that mean I am in the high position?
not sure what you mean exactly. can you send a picture?

I took mine apart to help explain. this is a photo of the underside of the shock in the hi position. basically if you want it Hi, you need the shock plus the yoke as a single entity to be longer

20230801_180505.jpg

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
don't know how well these pics show one in hi position with longer eye to eye for shock plus yoke (i think this is what you call brass tab showing?)

and one with shock plus yoke being shorter ie lo position

20230801_180535.jpg 20230801_180600.jpg

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
20230801_180505~2.jpg

This is the bit I mean. If you look under the shock yolk, you can see this poking out slightly. This makes me think mine is in the high position. Not at home tonight, but I'll take a photo tomorrow.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles