Whyte Shape.It link/shock extender

1Squadr0n

Dec 6, 2019
UK
Has anyone heard from Whyte or ATB about the availability of this to retro fit to an e150?

It's mentioned in the MBR review of the e160

I would like to know too. I'm running 160mm at the front on my E150 and feel I need just a tiny lift at the rear to balance it out.

(Hopefully the widget will enable that..)

1Squadr0n

Dec 6, 2019
UK
Has anyone got a link to exactly what this is, how it works, what options it provides for adjustment? I can only find general references so far and nothing on the Whyte site.

Nakedebiker

Jul 7, 2020
West Yorkshire
My LBS knew nothing of this yesterday. Any more news?
I called in at my LBS to see if there was any news. The guy i spoke to has seen one and its basically this-
WB0001_720x.jpg

With some kind of flip chip at the shock mount. Still no idea when it will turn up though.

d4ve86

Aug 21, 2020
UK
It's now on the Whyte site -

Nakedebiker

Jul 7, 2020
West Yorkshire
It's now on the Whyte site -
£70 seems a bit pricey for what it is. I was going to have a go at doing something along those lines myself with an offset bushing. At least this will keep the warranty intact.

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
The Whyte website gives a guide for data , for the e150 with the 66mm link, it shows a BB height change of + 12.5mm with a head angle change of +1 degree.
I know eMTB reviews are full of stats and fiugures, most of which go right over my head, but will I notice this 1 degree increase in head angle? It would be slower, but much?
whyte shape it info.JPG

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
The Whyte website gives a guide for data , for the e150 with the 66mm link, it shows a BB height change of + 12.5mm with a head angle change of +1 degree.
I know eMTB reviews are full of stats and fiugures, most of which go right over my head, but will I notice this 1 degree increase in head angle? It would be slower, but much?
View attachment 42406

IMO - yes you'd notice a 1 degree increase in head angle and definitely the 12mm increase in bottom bracket height, not sure why you'd want to increase BB height and head angle though, I guess it will give marginally less pedal strikes but at the expense of downhill ability. If I had a problem with pedal strikes I'd be fitting shorter crank arms or learning to time pedal strokes better,or just living with it, I wouldnt be compromising downhill ability by steepening the head angle and lifting the BB.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire

Steeper head angle would be very slightly quicker/twitchier (steering).

I assume the benefit of one of these is you'd be able to adjust the geo back to as it was designed after you've fitted a fork with more travel like @1Squadr0n said. Can't get my head around what happens to the rear if you jack the bottom bracket up 12mm though ?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone

Bottom bracket heightmassively affects stability, cornering and braking.

I think the only reason to fit one of those links that raises the bb would be to compensate for lowering the bb too much(and hence head angle) by fitting a smaller back wheel

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
I actually doubt anyone will notice it, the bike has really wide bars anyway, and I guess most use it as a trail bike rather than a full on downhill bike.
For me in the Peaks it could improve the bike plus I still have the option of shorter cranks.

Whyte are known for making good riding bikes, I doubt they would release a product that makes a good bike into a crap bike.

Nakedebiker

Jul 7, 2020
West Yorkshire
The 12mm bb increase is unladen don't forget, so once you're actually weighting the bike its going to sit into its travel. As for head angle, I'm old enough to remember 150mm stems and bars so narrow you had to run your levers at different angles. In comparison, modern geometry bikes are so stable and steerable that 1/2° steeper HA° will hardly be noticeable. Another outlook on this is that it will allow a softer rear shock setting and therefore a more compliant ride.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Are they adjustable then ? Some sort of offset bushing?
Yeah, you can see it here.

My take on this is it allows you to adjust a 2020 Whyte eBike to 2021 geo - about 10mm higher BB, you can run a 10mm longer fork. All you're missing is the extra 5mm travel at the rear.

Screenshot 2020-10-19 at 09.08.47.png

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
If you fit longer forks that slacken the head angle by say 1 degree, and you then fit one of those links to steepen the head angle by one degree to bring it back to the same head angle as it had originally, your bottom bracket will now be 10mm or so higher (in the sagged position) than the original bike had.

Whether you consider a higher BB to be a positive or negative is up to you and how you ride, but I'd consider it a negative compared to this bikes normal BB height.

Have a play with this to see what different changes to various dimensions do to the rest of the dimensions of any given bike

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
I'm normally riding trails and green lanes where BB height isn't really an issue, and the low CoG is a benefit. However when riding on the moors, coming down granite scattered slopes, the BB height was always on my mind, because of possible strikes to the shifter cable.
Therefore the in-coming Shape-it extender was of interest to me.
Now I've done the shifter cable re-route, I've found I'm not worried so much about the BB height, but I'm interested to see the effects on handling.

Nakedebiker

Jul 7, 2020
West Yorkshire
It will be easy to fit, I would recommend using a torque wrench as they are alloy components/ threads. The only awkward bit is if the eye bush needs replacing.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles